Aggie MLB record broken tonight

3,702 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by war hymn aggie
war hymn aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marcus Semien hit his 44th HR of the year, breaking A&M alumni Davey Johnson's Major League record for HR's in a year of 43 by a second baseman that was set in 1973.

Not sure if any Aggies hold any other MLB records, now, except for one Wally Moon.

BTW, my Mom & Dad both grew up on ranches in the Joppa TX community (right outside of Bertram,TX) in Burnet County. As a kid going to my grandparents ranch, we used to pass an old non-descript homestead that my mom said belonged to a former major league baseball player named Owen "Chief" Wilson. Chief played for the Pittsburgh Pirated in the 19-teens but passed away a few years before I was born,so I never got to meet him. I have a 1911 baseball card of his. It's my oldest sportscard of many that I own. My Papaw said that he knew him quite well before Mr Wilson passed away while working on his ranch back in the 50's. Wilson still holds the major league record of 36 triples in a year that will likely never be broken.

At A&M, I dated a girl (now my bride of 37 years) whose roommate's dad was none other than Wally Moon. After he retired from coaching, Wally & his wife moved back to CS & I got to meet him a few times & had him autograph a few of his TOPPS baseball cards from the 50's & 60's. He was always cordial to me & showed his trophies to me when I visited his house on Glade Street back in the early 80's. I mentioned Wally earlier....he set a Major League record held by many that homered in his 1st major league at bat.

TempleAg97
AG
Wow, amazing post! Thank you so much for sharing!
W
AG
perhaps small consolation...

Semien hit 4 of his 44 home runs while playing shortstop.

Davey hit 1 of his 43 as a pinch-hitter.

so technically...
12thMan9
AG
His son was my Fr. English teacher. Worre a Hawaiian shirt many times to teach. He was cool
Ronnie '88
ABATTBQ87
AG
Was Owen Wilson related to your family of Pinky Wilson? Burnet County isn't that big
war hymn aggie
AG
no, he wasn't.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.