Another Lost Year

4,667 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bucketrunner
gigum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It would appear from the lack of softball posts that everyone has accepted at least one more year without a competitive softball team. While we were told that no coaching changes were forthcoming, in my heart, I honestly believed that Coach Jo would voluntary step down and allow the hire of a new coach for next season.

Obviously, that didn't happen, and we will lose the allure of a new facility with a new coach for another year. Sad but true, here is hoping that our "new" baseball program can pick up the slack next spring.
powerbelly
AG
How much money have you committed to fire her?
gigum
AG
After 25 years on the payroll, there shouldn't be a need for a buy out. Contractually, yes, but as with her assistant in the past, a transfer to an administrative position could have allowed the Aggies to make a change this year.
Aggies2009
AG
gigum said:

It would appear from the lack of softball posts that everyone has accepted at least one more year without a competitive softball team. While we were told that no coaching changes were forthcoming, in my heart, I honestly believed that Coach Jo would voluntary step down and allow the hire of a new coach for next season.

Obviously, that didn't happen, and we will lose the allure of a new facility with a new coach for another year. Sad but true, here is hoping that our "new" baseball program can pick up the slack next spring.
1. This forum has never really had all that many softball posts other than in 07 and 08 when the team made deep runs.
2. This forum is usually pretty dead in the offseason. Only reason it's somewhat active is because we have a new coach and there are huge moves being made in our roster.

Regarding Jo, I'll leave that to Bjork. He killed it with the Schloss hire and I'm sure he'll figure something out here if he needs to.
Captain Pablo
AG
gigum said:

Odd timing for such an unoriginal thought. Why now?

What is the alternative to "accepting" that Coach Evans will be here in 2022? Throwing a tantrum?

Also, odd use of italics

TxA&Mhunter
AG
I remember a less year ago people telling some on this board that they were nuts for wanting to get rid of a Hall of Fame coach It seems those chickens have come home to roost

Her contract will run out and she will be replaced unless she finds away to win it all. And yes that is what it would take for her to survive..
Captain Pablo
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

I remember a less year ago people telling some on this board that they were nuts for wanting to get rid of a Hall of Fame coach It seems those chickens have come home to roost

Her contract will run out and she will be replaced unless she finds away to win it all. And yes that is what it would take for her to survive..

Nah. Host a regional and she'll be back
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Believe what you want I've got a pretty decent insight on coaching hires of late so Hosting a regional ain't gonna keep her! Especially if she doesn't have a winning record in the SEC
Aggies2009
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

I remember a less year ago people telling some on this board that they were nuts for wanting to get rid of a Hall of Fame coach

Who? Where?
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Good gosh just go back to the treads at the beginning of the year Plenty of posters blindly following Jo and supporting her by saying give her time and the tools
Aggies2009
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Good gosh just go back to the treads at the beginning of the year Plenty of posters blindly following Jo and supporting her by saying give her time and the tools
You're the one who made they claim they were saying it. Burden of proof is on you, my man.
W
AG
Bjork's style is to let the contract expire
deh40
AG
The excuse used to be she has the worst facilities in the country
Bucketrunner
Think we'll not renew season tickets along with the group of 8 who sit with us. IF we get a coach year after next, it might be worth it.
powerbelly
AG
W said:

Who has he let expire besides Childress?
Luke The Drifter
AG
powerbelly said:

W said:

I think he did this a few times at Ole Miss. Can't think of any specific coach, but I do seem to recall that was one of the things that was noted about him when we hired him.

I think the women's golf coach's contract expired at the end of this past season...not that women's golf coach contracts are all that lucrative with large buyouts.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
powerbelly
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

powerbelly said:

W said:

I think he did this a few times at Ole Miss. Can't think of any specific coach, but I do seem to recall that was one of the things that was noted about him when we hired him.

I think the women's golf coach's contract expired at the end of this past season...not that women's golf coach contracts are all that lucrative with large buyouts.

He definitely fired her with multiple years left on her contract.
Dominion Caracas Branch
Golf coach had years left. She was fired for something else as she hadn't been here that long either.
Luke The Drifter
AG
powerbelly said:

Luke The Drifter said:

powerbelly said:

W said:

He definitely fired her with multiple years left on her contract.

Gotcha. I knew my memory was sketchy, at best.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Captain Pablo
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Believe what you want I've got a pretty decent insight on coaching hires of late so Hosting a regional ain't gonna keep her! Especially if she doesn't have a winning record in the SEC

Eh. Then somewhere between "hosting a regional with a sub .500 SEC record" and "Winning it All"

Because winning a National Championship isn't the ONLY path to an extension
BQ_90
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

powerbelly said:

W said:

I thought I read we paid her close to 500K for the buyout or number around that.

Thats why this notion of Bjork "letting" contracts expire make no sense.
Artimus Gordon
Hey the SEC is a great softball league! Not everyone can be a winner and the league needs bottom feeders with a name! Jo's program serves that purpose! Nothing will happen till the end of the contract and even then they will have to pry the helmet off her ego inflated head!
Aggies2009
AG
Ego inflated head?
Wooahhhh
AG
I'm not talking bad about a coach, I've been one for too long. I think Uribe & Herzog will make a difference, hoping it's a big year for Uribe. Need more big time recruits for sure. It will be interesting to see how Haylee & Bre have progressed. We only lose 3, Poynter, Fortenberry & Elder.
W
AG
powerbelly said:

W said:

how many contracts has he had the opportunity to let expire in his less-than 3 years on campus?

Evans will be the second
powerbelly
AG
W said:

powerbelly said:

W said:

how many contracts has he had the opportunity to let expire in his less-than 3 years on campus?

Evans will be the second
So you have no idea if it is his style or not. We lost a lot of money due to covid and the baseball change was more important.
Colt98
AG
Poynter is coming back, which helps stabilize our pitching staff. Also believe Ackerman will help us in the circle this year along with new fish pitcher. I'm sure we will go after a pitcher in the portal too. Until we stop living and dying by the home run, and put some speed in the line up on a consistent basis, we will continue to struggle against the sec. Just look how bama beat us this year and you can see how a line up should be put together. Now if we can find a 100 HR's next season that could nullify my feelings over that.
BigBubbaAggie82
Here's what I will add to this subject, Jo has had several big stud recruits come on campus for visits the last two months. None committed to A&M. All committed to other programs after their visits. Pitchers and power hitters. So I would say this post definitely has merit.
These players want to win and don't it see happening with this coaching staff.
Bucketrunner
Jo needs to go. Now. If she's missed the best recruits, and still hangs on by her fingernails, that says some very bad things about her.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.