Childress to Nebraska

6,803 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 12thMan9
85AustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beechcraft AG 91
AG
Head scratcher
W
AG
the ol' Nebraska nepotism

kind of strange though
greg.w.h
AG
Rob had free time. Bolt had a need. They figured it out. Not surprised at all. Especially not that Nebraska acts like a family. Unless your name is Bo and it's football.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Good luck, Coach!
dermdoc
AG
Very glad for Coach Childress!

I believe he still has family up there.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
Sorta surprising but sorta not.
85AustinAg
AG
Makes perfect sense to me. Didn't want to just hang out for a year and pick up the job search next year, let's him stay active among coaches he's familiar with. I'd be surprised if it lasts more than one year.
12thMan9
AG
While the "player development" tag may be a head scratcher, there is no doubt IMO that Childress knows how to work w/pitchers. There is no doubt that most of the former A&M pitchers in MLB owe Coach Childress a thanks.
Ronnie '88
Aggies2009
AG
Good luck Coach!
hunter2012
AG
If this coaching tree were a family tree how many incestual birth defects would we be seeing by now?
Aggies2009
AG
hunter2012 said:

If this coaching tree were a family tree how many incestual birth defects would we be seeing by now?
It's weird. Bolt played for Van Horn and Childress at Nebraska, then coached under him here. Now they've flipped with Childress coaching UNDER Bolt.
Cen-Tex
AG
Good for him!,
gettingitdone
Not surprised at all. I heard a couple of months ago he would make his way back to Nebraska. Can't blame him. He has family there as well has his precious grandbaby.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I really like Childress a lot...even though I agree it was time for a coaching change at A&M...but isn't it a little bit telling that he didn't get a head coaching gig? Or a top assistant gig? Or a pitching coach at a major program gig? Maybe he needed a year away from the grind, but this does seem strange to me and seems like a tremendous step backwards, career path-wise.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
MMantle
AG
Is this a new position, or is Bolt filling a vacant position?

Agreed, Childress developed pitchers at A&M, but I'm not sure he had a whole lot to do with position players?

A bit baffling, sounds like "friends looking out for friends"?

Whatever works.

RR
Aggies2009
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

I really like Childress a lot...even though I agree it was time for a coaching change at A&M...but isn't it a little bit telling that he didn't get a head coaching gig? Or a top assistant gig? Or a pitching coach at a major program gig? Maybe he needed a year away from the grind, but this does seem strange to me and seems like a tremendous step backwards, career path-wise.
I feel like he's trying to just keep somewhat busy for a year while his son graduates without having the responsibilities of a head coaching position. And then in a year or two he'll pursue a head coaching spot. If nothing else, he'd make a great pitching coach at a school.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

I feel like he's trying to just keep somewhat busy for a year while his son graduates without having the responsibilities of a head coaching position. And then in a year or two he'll pursue a head coaching spot. If nothing else, he'd make a great pitching coach at a school.
Agreed...and with his daughter, son-in-law, and new grandchild in Nebraska, makes sense for him and his family!
Mark Fairchild
AG
I am a xenophobic Native Texan about Texas, I cannot now, will not ever understand, in the future will not get what anyone sees in Nebraska! What is up with frickin' Nebraska????? It is not that I do not wish him well, just glad he is gone, but to Nebraska?????
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Buford T. Justice
AG
You've got to really like bird hunting to want to live up there.
powerbelly
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

I am a xenophobic Native Texan about Texas, I cannot now, will not ever understand, in the future will not get what anyone sees in Nebraska! What is up with frickin' Nebraska????? It is not that I do not wish him well, just glad he is gone, but to Nebraska?????

It's not like he has a daughter up there or anything.
TexAggie82
AG
Good luck RC
MMantle
AG
Amazing?

Even in jest, that's quite a reach.

RR
Aggies2009
AG
MMantle said:

Amazing?

Even in jest, that's quite a reach.

RR
That..... was the point....

Congrats!
12thMan9
AG
He's the coach at Tascosa.
Ronnie '88
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.