So McMillan and Hutchins staying on staff?

5,864 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Texian
BrandoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I believe I read some post that Hutchins would be staying but nothing in McMillan.
drthoop
AG
I have heard that Mac is being retained. Don't take it to the bank, just repeating something I heard from a reliable source.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
TxA&Mhunter
AG
I honestly I'm not very excited about him staying... I think our strength and conditioning in baseball has been Woefully inadequate, I don't know if that's a product Of the head coach's philosophy or the SC....

jmac13
AG
What makes you feel its been inadequate? Us being bad last year had little or nothing to do with our strength and conditioning. Whatever they did for Will Frizell over his career seemed to be effective.
Warsteiner
jmac13 said:

What makes you feel its been inadequate? Us being bad last year had little or nothing to do with our strength and conditioning. Whatever they did for Will Frizell over his career seemed to be effective.

He's probably basing it off of the physical appearance of our players compared to other SEC teams. We either look small/skinny or like randy bullock clones. Minus Frizzell of course
Dominion Caracas Branch
Isn't S&C mostly a product of a HC's direction?

Like most good coaches have a big toolbox to work from but in the end, they develop what HC wants.
MINNESOTAAGGIE
Looks to be updated for 2022. https://12thman.com/sports/baseball/roster
BBGigem
AG
The physical appearance of our players really aren't much different than any other team in the conference. Lots of different body types. Did some carry too much weight? Yes. Are some naturally built tall and lean? Yes. Are some cut and you wouldn't want to meet in a back alley? Absolutely. Sure one can point out a few guys that can use some toning one way or another but you can do that with just about every roster in college baseball.

Hop
Staff
AG
Warsteiner said:

jmac13 said:

He's probably basing it off of the physical appearance of our players compared to other SEC teams. We either look small/skinny or like randy bullock clones. Minus Frizzell of course

3-4 players looked significantly out of shape this spring. Not sure who to blame. The S&C coach can recommend the greatest workout regimen in the country, but if the players don't execute it, not much he can do.
BBGigem
AG
Hop said:

Warsteiner said:

jmac13 said:

3-4 players looked significantly out of shape this spring. Not sure who to blame. The S&C coach can recommend the greatest workout regimen in the country, but if the players don't execute it, not much he can do.
100%
greg.w.h
AG
Water under the bridge. If you don't trust the Head Coach to figure it out, welp, you are gonna be miserable to be around.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Here's something I always found interesting and slightly confusing....
I think everybody would agree that Frizzell looked Substantially different than he has his previous years... and that his physical condition added him and staying healthy and being more productive... right?

Staff here and on the radio Constantly talked about the amount of work HE put in.... Why in the world did some one not have him work out/eat like this first year on campus? Was there a lack of emphasis from the head coach? Or was it on the player to do the program rather than how football approaches it? What the program that he was using one of his own design our staff a private coach or what?
twk
AG
Frizzell had knee problems. I think the issue was that, when his knee was injured, he would get out of shape. I don't think being out of shape injured his knee. The covid shortened season and some time off finally allowed his knee to heal, and for him to get the rest of his body in shape.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
I totally disagree... i think the weight he carried coming and after his first year had an effect on his ability to stay healthy
12th Man Ag
AG
If Schloss retains him, I gotta think he is quality. The staff he has put together is pretty impressive. Why would he "settle" for the S&C coach? I am trusting Schloss right now. All moves appear to be solid thus far.
TAM85
I have never heard anything to suggest a HC micro manages an S&C program.
GarryowenAg
AG
I had to stop and remind myself that we recently hired arguably one of the top HC in the country (who we used to bash and talk **** about), who turned around and hired a very impressive staff. I will refrain from dissing on any coach until the end of next season.
Aggies2009
AG
Expert Witness said:

I had to stop and remind myself that we recently hired arguably one of the top HC in the country (who we used to bash and talk **** about), who turned around and hired a very impressive staff. I will refrain from dissing on any coach until the end of next season.

When did people bash Schloss? The only thing he did I didn't like was telling the ump to check Hendrix glove in 2015 to try and throw off his rhythm. Any issues with them hosting is with Hyman, not Schloss.

I agree though. He already is off to a hot start. Let the man do his thing.
Secolobo
AG
I think expert is saying we used to bash him because he was kicking our ass.
GarryowenAg
AG
Secolobo said:

I think expert is saying we used to bash him because he was kicking our ass.
yes sir.
Aggies2009
AG
Meh, I don't remember any bashing cause of that, but okay.
Texian
AG
My 9 year old just finished his first Aggie baseball camp and came away completely head over heels with Hutch. As a dad sitting back listening I thought he was an incredible ambassador for Texas A&M and also just generally for the way the game should be played. The way he interacted with these kids who are not yet prospects, I can only imagine how well he gets along with the ones that come in that are ready to be prospects.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

I have never heard anything to suggest a HC micro manages an S&C program.
A HC shouldn't micro manage a S&C program but the S&C program sure as hell better include his guidelines and goals for the team and the S&C coach better follow through with it. My guess is that like someone else mentioned our guy has a lot of tools in his box and the HC was comfortable that under the HC's direction McMillan can take us were Schloss wants us to be.
cypress-ag
AG
Hop said:

Warsteiner said:

jmac13 said:

I would say it goes back to the staff....if the S&C coach lays out a programs for players and they don't follow I'm sure the staff would be awared. All said if Schloss wants to keep him on I'm good on that.
TarponChaser
Texian said:

My 9 year old just finished his first Aggie baseball camp and came away completely head over heels with Hutch. As a dad sitting back listening I thought he was an incredible ambassador for Texas A&M and also just generally for the way the game should be played. The way he interacted with these kids who are not yet prospects, I can only imagine how well he gets along with the ones that come in that are ready to be prospects.

Was your kid there in the Friday camp on 7/9? If so, my 10-year old (turns 11 on 7/21) was there too and he absolutely loved it. He had a lot of the same vibe- he loved the instruction and the way they were treated like ballplayers and not just there for glorified daycare.
Thisguy1
An old teammate of mine (pitcher) said they put him through a full upper body workout the morning of games he would pitch. I've always questioned our S&C after that.
Texian
AG
TarponChaser said:

Texian said:

Was your kid there in the Friday camp on 7/9? If so, my 10-year old (turns 11 on 7/21) was there too and he absolutely loved it. He had a lot of the same vibe- he loved the instruction and the way they were treated like ballplayers and not just there for glorified daycare.
No, we were only able to make it in for Saturday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.