Honest question about Will Bolt

6,108 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nereus
Goro Majima
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

So we ragged on the guy all the time as the hitting coach and then he goes to Nebraska and actually has success as a head coach ... was he held back by Childress or something?
greg.w.h
AG
Wellone full season at Nebraska and paired with national 1 seed and fell after a loss to Arkansas in the winners then a loser bracket win over powerhouse NJIT then out without pinning a loss on tegional champ Ark.

Not much to analyze but only two regional wins and two losses in post season. Perhaps we should wait and see? Not like we can fire Rob again.
TXAggie2011
AG
We ran through several hitting coaches and were consistently unhappy about the hitting, so I think there likely were some deeper issues than the hitting coach.

That said, coaches learn and develop, too. They're constantly trying to improve. The same way players do. No coach is the same as they were when they started. Or likely even the same coach they were 2 or 3 years ago. Or at least the coaches that ever have a chance to succeed do this.

Its also possible he's hired a good assistant in Lance Harvell and that's helping him better develop the hitters at Nebraska.

And its been a small sample size. We'll see if he can sustain the success.
themissinglink
AG
He had full control of the offense. 2015 and 2016 he looked brilliant. In 2017 we had a young team and those hitters never quite developed over the next few years. Maybe Childress wasn't recruiting the right guys for his offense, but it felt more like an approach issue. Our guys gave a bunch of interviews in 2016 about how we went up to the plate hunting fastballs. We stopped seeing as many fastball and never quite adjusted. I would guess that approach works a little better in the Big Ten where you see less high quality pitching.
Spyderman
AG
Lance...I bet that is the grandson of Dutch Harvell perhaps. Neat old substitute teacher I had in CS way back...
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
W
AG
it's water under the bridge now...

Deggs was the best assistant coach of the Childress era. He was a difference maker.

but after Deggs left, the rest of the assistants (including bench & recruiting)...seemed very average / just guys
12thMan9
AG
greg.w.h said:

Wellone full season at Nebraska and paired with national 1 seed and fell after a loss to Arkansas in the winners then a loser bracket win over powerhouse NJIT then out without pinning a loss on tegional champ Ark.

Not much to analyze but only two regional wins and two losses in post season. Perhaps we should wait and see? Not like we can fire Rob again.
Check your bracket again. NU beat Arky to force the game 7 on that Monday.
Ronnie '88
Agsncws
AG
I dont think any of our coaches were "held back" per se, but I strongly believe we always recruited must stronger on the pitching side than hitting. Always. Whether that was by design or not. I dont think they were held back, but I do think they were never given an optimal roster to utilize with the bats.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
TXAggie2011
AG
W said:

Deggs was the best assistant coach of the Childress era. He was a difference maker.

but after Deggs left, the rest of the assistants (including bench & recruiting)...seemed very average / just guys
In fairness to our other coaches, by the time Deggs left, our offense and team had already fallen back to average or worse. We scored the fewest runs/game in 2010 in the entire Big 12.
jkag89
W said:

And this board ragged on Deggs also. Many (most) here were thrilled when he was let go just prior to the 2011 season. He is now a better man for it and most likely a better coach because of it.
BQ_90
AG
jkag89 said:

W said:

And this board ragged on Deggs also. Many (most) here were thrilled when he was let go just prior to the 2011 season. He is now a better man for it and most likely a better coach because of it.
This board has blamed the assistants for everything. Rob never was held accountable for anything.
jkag89
BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

W said:

This board has blamed the assistants for everything. Rob never was held accountable for anything.

You must have read a very different TexAgs Baseball Board than I did during the RC Era.
nereus
AG
BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

W said:

This board is all over the place on most things (which is fine). From people who never held RC accountable to anything to people listing metrics they thought at A&M baseball coach should perform up to that no coach active in college baseball was achieving at the time (and everything in between). From people calling it a season after the first weekend of SEC play to people wondering if we still have a chance to make the tournament if we can just somehow end on a 15-0 run. From people complaining about our batters swinging at the first pitch to those complaining about us watching the first strike fastball thrown right over the plate.
themissinglink
AG
I wasn't a huge fan of Deggs. We certainly put a lot of pressure on the defense but seemed to run ourselves out of more runs than we created. We hit the ball well, but it was a little different era with more offense and we played in the big 12 where Texas was the only team that could put together the type of talent we see in the SEC every year. Our approach was to crowd the plate and take away the outside part of the plate. It seemed to work well until we'd run up against Texas and Rice who had pitchers that could locate pitches on both sides of the plate.

Edit: Big 12 rank (out of 10) is runs scored/game during his tenure.

2006: 10
2007: 3
2008: 2
2009: 6
2010: 10

His tenure kinda reminds me of Will Bolt's tenure. 2 good years, then some not so great years.
Sterling82
I liked Bolt initially. But in 15 and 16 he seemed to put dampers on what were pretty free swinging hitters late in the season until we looked like some of Mark Johnson's later teams that took 2 strikes down the middle then swung at a curve ball a foot off the plate for the out. Against TCU a key hit wins the series in multiple situations and we couldn't produce.
Foxo
AG
BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

W said:

Thousands of fire Rob posts over the years says otherwise.
adbono
Agsncws said:

I dont think any of our coaches were "held back" per se, but I strongly believe we always recruited must stronger on the pitching side than hitting. Always. Whether that was by design or not. I dont think they were held back, but I do think they were never given an optimal roster to utilize with the bats.

By design? No not by design. They developed a reputation for advancing pitchers to pro ball so it's been easier to recruit really good arms. Evaluating baseball talent isn't easy and IMO they did a poor job recruiting the right position players. Hopefully the staff will do better.
Lance Uppercut
AG
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

W said:

You must have read a very different TexAgs Baseball Board than I did during the RC Era.
Childress reached Texags moron status in 2008 (his third season) after losing in a super regional for the second straight year in Houston to Rice. Actually, the complaints began during the season when we had a losing stretch that caused us to share the Big 12 title. It never let up from there.

Deggs was consistently criticized for having the team be too aggressive at the plate and on the bases. When he left the team after a 2010 regional exit, I remember people posting that the hiring of Sawyers "saved" Childress's job.

Childress and Sawyers went to the CWS in 2011 and were slightly less stupid for a moment, but then Sawyers had the great fortune to coach at A&M during the entirety of the "low offense" period of college baseball. He went from being what was going to save the program to one of the causes of failing to get out of a regional from 2012-1014.

Then Bolt was hired and the 2015 and 2016 teams hit at league-leading rates, and he looked brilliant. A few years later, he presided over one of the worst offenses in the modern era of Aggie baseball.

Apparently time helps, because Deggs went from being lambasted to sought after once he returned to the game at Sam Houston State. He's currently the coach at ULL and has finished first in his conference 4 out of the 5 seasons he has coached.

Sawyers is the head coach at Southeast Missouri State. He finished first in his conference this season and was in the NCAA tournament.

Will Bolt is the head coach at Nebraska. They finished 1st in the Big 10 and were in the NCAA tournament.

Also worth mentioning is that it was probably 50/50 on Jimbo being an overpaid fraud all the way up to the Florida game of the most recent season if we were to judge based on the internet, and Buzz's prior accomplishments at other schools haven't kept him from a heavy dose of internet "we demand excellence" types either. And if Schlossnagle turns in three seasons like his last 3 seasons at TCU (sub .500 records in conference, missing tournaments, getting bounced from your own hosted regional)....we'll get the same people posting their new dream hires based off the coach they saw win a game on TV a few days ago.

Holding coaches "accountable" on the internet has been constant, and will never be in short supply.
twk
AG
My only regret is that I have but one blue star to give for your post.
AgE2theBONE
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

W said:

Childress reached Texags moron status in 2008 (his third season) after losing in a super regional for the second straight year in Houston to Rice. Actually, the complaints began during the season when we had a losing stretch that caused us to share the Big 12 title. It never let up from there.

Deggs was consistently criticized for having the team be too aggressive at the plate and on the bases. When he left the team after a 2010 regional exit, I remember people posting that the hiring of Sawyers "saved" Childress's job.

Childress and Sawyers went to the CWS in 2011 and were slightly less stupid for a moment, but then Sawyers had the great fortune to coach at A&M during the entirety of the "low offense" period of college baseball. He went from being what was going to save the program to one of the causes of failing to get out of a regional from 2012-1014.

Then Bolt was hired and the 2015 and 2016 teams hit at league-leading rates, and he looked brilliant. A few years later, he presided over one of the worst offenses in the modern era of Aggie baseball.

Apparently time helps, because Deggs went from being lambasted to sought after once he returned to the game at Sam Houston State. He's currently the coach at ULL and has finished first in his conference 4 out of the 5 seasons he has coached.

Sawyers is the head coach at Southeast Missouri State. He finished first in his conference this season and was in the NCAA tournament.

Will Bolt is the head coach at Nebraska. They finished 1st in the Big 10 and were in the NCAA tournament.

Also worth mentioning is that it was probably 50/50 on Jimbo being an overpaid fraud all the way up to the Florida game of the most recent season if we were to judge based on the internet, and Buzz's prior accomplishments at other schools haven't kept him from a heavy dose of internet "we demand excellence" types either. And if Schlossnagle turns in three seasons like his last 3 seasons at TCU (sub .500 records in conference, missing tournaments, getting bounced from your own hosted regional)....we'll get the same people posting their new dream hires based off the coach they saw win a game on TV a few days ago.

Holding coaches "accountable" on the internet has been constant, and will never be in short supply.

Good post.

And even at age 54, when I should know better, I find myself getting just as emotional and unreasonable as I ever did in my 20's.

I saw one--just one--interview with Vitello and I was so impressed with the guy in that moment that I was suddenly all in on that guy needing to be A&M's new coach, and I knew I'd be disappointed if we hired anybody else.

Fortunately I'm a little quicker to take a breath and calm down these days, and anybody comparing the resumes would, or at least should, recognize that Schlossnagle is the easy pick between those two, simply because Vitello is still largely an unknown. He's had a great season and done a fantastic job with that program at Tennessee, but one CWS trip isn't much to build expectations on. He could become the next Skip Bertman, or he could be Rob Childress, or he might never get to Omaha again. Who knows.

We know what Schloss can do and hopefully with a fresh start and being at a program with an abundance of resources and an athletic department that's proven beyond question in recent years that we're committed to winning, he'll bring some really fun seasons to A&M for a long time.

But all it takes is a moment for me to become one of the fans you're describing, who goes all in with his opinion based on a highlight reel from a game yesterday. It's amusing to me how tied up our emotions get in our fanhood.

Gig 'Em.
Goro Majima
AG
I was leaning towards Jimbo being an overpaid fraud leading up the 2020 UF game at about 60/40, honestly. Especially after the Vandy clunker.

I can't even begin to express my relief that I was wrong.
Texker
AG
Extended through 2026
HarveyBirdman
AG
Spyderman said:

Lance...I bet that is the grandson of Dutch Harvell perhaps. Neat old substitute teacher I had in CS way back...

He is
cevans_40
AG
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

W said:

Nope. I essentially stopped posting on the baseball board because anything remotely critical of RC was meet with an onslaught of hate.
W
AG
one of the most amazing things about this coaching change...

is how peaceful the texags board has been about it.

everyone knew the program was underachieving...and it was time for change
AgE2theBONE
AG
W said:

one of the most amazing things about this coaching change...

is how peaceful the texags board has been about it.

everyone knew the program was underachieving...and it was time for change

That is really nice.

Obviously it helps when the new coach is a guy who's done a great job getting his previous team to Omaha a bunch.

LB12Diamond
AG
I just think head coaches that were pitchers back in the day go about managing a game as far as hitting the wrong way.

They look at it more as how can I not get out. Not as how can I be the aggressor.

So I think they make hitters take pitches they shouldn't often times. And there's more to it than that.

I think ex catchers and middle infielders make the best head coaches bc they are better able to see the entire picture and put all areas of the team in the best situations.

So to the original posters question. I do think Childress hurt our offensive side of the ball most by how he managed it during games.
nereus
AG
There are certainly more catchers and middle infielders as head coaches, but there are plenty of other coaches that played different positions that have won big.

Brain O'Connor & John Savage are both former pitchers/pitching coaches that have won National Championships in the last decade.

Schloss is also a former pitcher/pitching coach.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.