Story Poster
Photo by Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports
Texas A&M Baseball

Texas A&M to hire TCU's Jim Schlossnagle as head baseball coach

June 8, 2021

According to reports from Ryan Brauninger of TexAgs and Kendall Rogers of D1Baseball.com, Jim Schlossnagle is set to be hired as the next head baseball coach at Texas A&M, coming to Aggieland after 17 years as the head coach at TCU. In 19 seasons as a head coach, Schlossnagle has compiled an 811-393 (.674) record and been to the College World Series five times. An official announcement is expected to come on Wednesday morning.

Schlossnagle takes over a Texas A&M program that many believe should contend annually among the top teams in college baseball. The Aggies were 29-27 in 2021 and missed the postseason for the first time in 13 years. He becomes just the fourth head coach at Texas A&M since Tom Chandler was hired in 1959, with each coach in that time winning over 600 games during their tenures in Maroon & White.

The hiring is Director of Athletics Ross Bjork's first hire in a major sport since assuming his role in 2019.

In 2021, Schlossnagle’s Horned Frogs put together a 41-19 season that included a Big 12 Tournament championship and the No. 6 national seed in the NCAA Tournament. However, TCU was upended in the Fort Worth Regional, going 1-2 with losses to Dallas Baptist and Oregon State.

Prior to his arrival in Fort Worth in 2004, TCU had never been to the CWS. Schlossnagle transformed TCU into a perennial national power, winning 734 games, claiming 18 conference championships, appearing in 15 NCAA Tournaments...

Prior to his arrival in Fort Worth in 2004, TCU had never been to the CWS. Schlossnagle transformed TCU into a perennial national power, winning 734 games, claiming 18 conference championships, appearing in 15 NCAA Tournaments and advancing to Omaha five times, including four straight trips from 2014-17.

Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park will not be unfamiliar territory for Schlossnagle. From 2015-17, his Horned Frogs ended Texas A&M's season each year, twice in three-game Super Regionals (’15 & ‘16) and once in the CWS ('17). The Frogs also won the 2012 College Station regional as members of the Mountain West Conference.

Schlossnagle has twice been honored as the nation's top coach in 2010 & 2016 and served as USA Baseball's Collegiate National Team head coach in 2013.

Since arriving in Fort Worth, 73 Schlossnagle products have been drafted and signed by Major League franchises, including Cy Young winner Jake Arrieta (2005) and silver slugger Matt Carpenter (2009). In 2014, pitcher Brandon Finnegan became the first player to play in the World Series and College World Series in the same year.

Before TCU, Schlossnagle served as UNLV's head coach from 2002-03, putting together a 37-23 record and taking the Rebels to the Tempe Regional final in 2003.

Schlossnagle's coaching career began as an assistant coach for his alma mater Elon College from 1990-92 before he spent a year at Clemson as the Tigers' pitching coach in 1993. That year, seven Clemson pitchers were drafted after a 45-20 season in which the Tigers won the ACC Tournament crown.

Rick Jones brought Schlossnagle to Tulane in 1994, where he spent eight seasons as the Green Wave's associate head coach and recruiting coordinator. During his stint at Tulane, the program went to six NCAA Tournaments, and in 2001, the Green Wave won a nation-leading 55 games and advanced to Omaha.

Schlossnagle pitched on Elon's 1989 NAIA national championship team before graduating magnum cum laude in 1992 with a bachelor's degree in physical education. He then earned a master's of education in human performance and health promotion from the University of New Orleans in 1995.

The Jim Schlossnagle era in Aggieland will officially begin when the Maroon & White open the 2022 season in mid-February.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M to hire TCU's Jim Schlossnagle as head baseball coach

29,423 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DallasAg 94
LukeDuke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Reveille
AG
Damn burning the midnight oil!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Texag 77
AG
Welcome aboard, Coach
Charlie 31
AG
Whoop!!!
Agcutter
AG
Boom!
Agcutter
Lance Uppercut
AG
Quote:

The Jim Schlossnagle era in Aggieland will officially begin when the Maroon & White open the 2022 season in mid-February.

Seems like a long time from now.
W
AG
have to give Schloss credit for being willing to leave his comfort zone.

there have been coaches thru the years that had great success with the big-fish-in-a-small-pond college baseball strategy (also known as the dominate-a-weaker-conference strategy or the Rice formula)...

and been unwilling to change jobs for a tougher or the toughest conference.

it will be fascinating to see how Schlossnagle does at A&M
94chem
W said:

have to give Schloss credit for being willing to leave his comfort zone.

there have been coaches thru the years that had great success with the big-fish-in-a-small-pond college baseball strategy (also known as the dominate-a-weaker-conference strategy or the Rice formula)...

and been unwilling to change jobs for a tougher or the toughest conference.

it will be fascinating to see how Schlossnagle does at A&M

You switch the result of a single 16 inning game, and the score becomes Schloss 4, RC 3. It was time to give the program a fresh look, and probably time for Schloss to take on one more great challenge if he was ever going to do it. We've replaced quality with quality, and at least have given ourselves a chance that the summit will be higher this time around. Not really a move that lends itself to second-guessing.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
SAAGGIE90
Hosting and losing a regional will not be tolerated in CS! We have higher standards!
SAAGGIE90
SenorAG
AG
This is a big W as far as coaching hires. Anybody who doesn't see this has not watched college baseball in the last 10 years. Excited about the future and hoping to see our Ags make it to Omaha soon!
MCAg09
AG
"Schlossnagle transformed TCU into a perennial national power, winning 734 games, claiming 18 conference championships, appearing in 15 NCAA Tournaments and advancing to Omaha five times, including four straight trips from 2014-17."

18 conference championships? Is that double counting when they won the regular season and tournament?
The Asset 07
AG
Bjork exercised some Eric Hyman demons. Somewhere he's crying and that makes me happy.
hunter2012
AG
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Well our standard lately has been not hosting and losing a regional, so we are already ahead of that.......
IchthusAg
AG
SAAGGIE90 said:

Hosting and losing a regional will not be tolerated in CS! We have higher standards!
You do realize we just hired a coach that just hosted and lost a regional?
I will accept no bull from your house Ps 50:9

Agsuffering@bulaw
Schloss Omaha record: 11-10
RC Omaha record: 0-4
Tamu_mgm
AG
Big time hire.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
94chem said:

You switch the result of a single 16 inning game, and the score becomes Schloss 4, RC 3.....

But you can't switch the result, and when you look at overall records and accomplishments this is an upgrade, at least on paper but let's see how it plays out.

RC was 0-4 in Omaha, one of those 4 was to Schloss and TCU. RC had 2 more chances at Omaha, one of which was his best team ever and I believe the #1 ranked team in the country, and lost both SRs to TCU.

RC was very good, just not good enough when it counted in post-season. Lots of good accomplishments and memories for RC.

Schloss goes from a very good program in a decent league to a decent program in a very good league. I'm sure SEC baseball was part of the appeal and no reason A&M cannot be on par with the 4 closest SEC West teams, as well as tcu, cow, and raider.

Good luck to RC and hopefully Schloss is a homerun hire for A&M.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
IchthusAg said:

SAAGGIE90 said:

Uh, that's his point, your sarcasm / comprehension meter is broken I think.
West Point Aggie
AG
Is this Bjorks first "real" hire?!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Caesar4
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Is this Bjorks first "real" hire?!
Quote:

The hiring is Director of Athletics Ross Bjork's first hire in a major sport since assuming his role in 2019.
Aggie Apple
AG
That dude looks like purple hoser from dude perfect.
AggieBlu
AG
So 3rd highest paid D1 Baseball coach in the country, huh?!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
SAAGGIE90
We should have made him the highest! We all know paying the highest salary in the nation = Nattys
AggieBlu said:

So 3rd highest paid D1 Baseball coach in the country, huh?!
SAAGGIE90
SenorAG
AG
Schloss 5 trips to World Series
Ags baseball program history 6 trips to World Series that should put things into perspective on how big a hire this is
sonnysixkiller
aggieband 83
AG
Frogs are gonna be pissed!
Hey Nav
AG
I would like to see the Ags win a CWS game before I pass on.

Get it done. I'm getting old.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I am optimistic about the hiring of Jim Schlossnagl. TCU will be pissed at us for hiring away a coach that ended our season three years in a row from 2015 to 2017.
IchthusAg
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

IchthusAg said:

SAAGGIE90 said:

Uh, that's his point, your sarcasm / comprehension meter is broken I think.
too much time in the zoo. I've been infected with a stupidity virus.
I will accept no bull from your house Ps 50:9

Rambotx
https://omny.fm/shows/my-aggie-nation-podcast/who-is-jim-schlossnagle-former-tcu-second-baseman
ABATTBQ87
AG
TTT
DallasAg 94
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.