Former Ag Reed Spenrath...

4,676 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 85AustinAg
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On fire at the JC level

https://njcaaregion5.com/sports/bsb/index

8 homeruns and 20 RBI's last week being named NTJCAC player of the week.

On the season he is hitting .419 with 68 RBI and 13 homeruns.
Ranks 3rd in average, 1st in RBI and 5th in homeruns in NTJCAC.

Signed to play for TCU next season

Cut from the Ags after the 2019 season.
Never stepped foot on the field for the Ags

Hard to believe he wouldn't crack this lineup
Wicked Good Ag
why was he cut?
Dallasag517
AG
His hitting just isn't quite up to par apparently.
Stoopkid
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

why was he cut?

He was making our pitching look bad. Childress just won't put up with that.
Sandman98
AG
This is such a silly game y'all play. His numbers are great. He's a large man facing Juco pitching in his third year of college (I'm guessing 21 years old). Many of the hitters on our team being exposed in the SEC would do the same.

I hope that kids crushes it at TCU but y'all need a different hobby.
OKCAGS
Like Sandman said ..... every program has kids that leave and go down to JUCO level and blow up . A 3rd year guy better be blowing up JUCO pitching . We will see if he can hit over .300 at D1 level ( but being in his 4th year ) he better ..... or it is a wasted scholarship.
tcow715
AG
Sandman98 said:

This is such a silly game y'all play. His numbers are great. He's a large man facing Juco pitching in his third year of college (I'm guessing 21 years old). Many of the hitters on our team being exposed in the SEC would do the same.

This 100%. He should be putting up big numbers in Juco his third year. He was no where close to cutting it for the Ags when he was on campus. I hope he does well as he is a great guy. I have had family play with him, but he wasn't going to touch the field when he was here.

Also Juco can be extremely deceiving. Taylor Smith and Sartori were unreal in Juco and now Smith has struck out 50% of his ABs and Sartori is finally starting to come around after having a really bad start to the year.
W
AG
therein lies the rub.

that's why Childress and his staff are on the way out. Their roster management, player evaluation, etc.., has been poor the last 5 years. Especially with hitters
Sandman98
AG
W said:

therein lies the rub.

that's why Childress and his staff are on the way out. Their roster management, player evaluation, etc.., has been poor the last 5 years. Especially with hitters

Not moved by the counter points or didn't read?
jja79
AG

The counter points don't change the reality that recruiting, roster management and player development have been abysmal.
Wicked Good Ag
jja79 said:

The counter points don't change the reality that recruiting, roster management and player development have been abysmal.

Well the department put recruiting behind for last couple of years. No extension is a dead man walking. The pitching has always been good. This year we are below average because he hasn't been able to recruit arms knowing he is on a shortened contract. That said it has nothing to do with offense over the years.
You take Deloach Frizelll this season and have Lacy and Roa on staff and think about what this team could be like. That would have been last year if Frizell breaks out like this year.
Aggies2009
AG
jja79 said:

That wasn't really the argument in this thread.
Aggies2009
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

jja79 said:

Well the department put recruiting behind for last couple of years. No extension is a dead man walking. The pitching has always been good. This year we are below average because he hasn't been able to recruit arms knowing he is on a shortened contract. That said it has nothing to do with offense over the years.
You take Deloach Frizelll this season and have Lacy and Roa on staff and think about what this team could be like. That would have been last year if Frizell breaks out like this year.
And he had started to show flashes last year. Sadly, this was always going to be a rebuilding year. It just really sucks that we didn't get to experience last season with guys like DeLoach, Roa, and Lacy on board.
94chem
Aggies2009 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

jja79 said:

And he had started to show flashes last year. Sadly, this was always going to be a rebuilding year. It just really sucks that we didn't get to experience last season with guys like DeLoach, Roa, and Lacy on board.
Last year looked like a middle of the pack finish and a 2-seed. Don't delude yourselves. Last year was the type of year you would build on, not rebuild from.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Aggies2009
AG
94chem said:

Aggies2009 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

jja79 said:

Last year looked like a middle of the pack finish and a 2-seed. Don't delude yourselves. Last year was the type of year you would build on, not rebuild from.
With one of the top pitchers (and a top 50 draft pick for our #2) and top hitters in the game? And another guy making leaps forward the way Frizzell has? Nah.

We'll never know, I guess.
powerbelly
AG
Sandman98 said:

Amen. We also have no idea how good or bad he performed here.
W
AG
remember though...A&M has had 2 great teams in its 9 seasons in the SEC: 2015 & 2016.

and in those 2 years...Childress and his staff nailed the transfer player evaluations:

Boomer, Barash, Pennington, and Davis.

struck gold with those players.

but not much gold or silver since
Aggies2009
AG
W said:

remember though...A&M has had 2 great teams in its 9 seasons in the SEC: 2015 & 2016.

and in those 2 years...Childress and his staff nailed the transfer player evaluations:

Boomer, Barash, Pennington, and Davis.

struck gold with those players.

but not much gold or silver since
Of those players, only Boomer and Barash really contributed to the 2016 team.

I guess Pennington pinch hit a HR once, and Davis did too. Other than that, their contributions were 2017 and beyond.

Only Barash contributed to 2015.
Aggies2009
AG
Sandman98 said:

My favorite was the guy who claimed his nephew was hitting over 400 at Baylor from a family of Ags that RC passed up. When fact checked, he was hitting around .260 and he acted like we were splitting hairs lmao
Sandman98
AG
Aggies2009 said:

jja79 said:

That wasn't really the argument in this thread.

He knows. There are only so many days left to take remaining pounds of flesh. It makes them whole.
Hop
Staff
AG
W said:

therein lies the rub.

Every team will have examples like this. This issue isn't why A&M will have a new coach next year. Overall recruiting wasn't up to acceptable standards, and that's the primary reason why on-field performance has deteriorated in recent years..
Aggies2009
AG
Hop said:

W said:

therein lies the rub.

Every team will have examples like this. This issue isn't why A&M will have a new coach next year. Overall recruiting wasn't up to acceptable standards, and that's the primary reason why on-field performance has deteriorated in recent years..

I can agree with this.
jja79
AG
I was replying to a specific poster. Had nothing to do with a pound of flesh. This has been a matter of time and that time is drawing hear.
94chem
The issue is that Jeff Granger won our last game in Omaha.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Aggies2009
AG
94chem said:

Yes. We know. You've made this point here many times.

I don't know what the special thing about that is, other than that it's an arbitrary metric that people can run down our baseball program over. Ole Miss won losers bracket games. They're not a better baseball program than we are because of that.
powerbelly
AG
Aggies2009 said:

94chem said:

I don't know what the special thing about that is, other than that it's an arbitrary metric that people can run down our baseball program over. Ole Miss won losers bracket games. They're not a better baseball program than we are because of that.
Agree, but it is an easy talking point for message boards.

Our real problem, IMO, is we don't put ourselves in a good position to host super regionals and therefore increase our odds to get to Omaha. The more time you get to Omaha, the better chance you will win.
94chem
powerbelly said:

Aggies2009 said:

94chem said:

Our real problem, IMO, is we don't put ourselves in a good position to host super regionals and therefore increase our odds to get to Omaha. The more time you get to Omaha, the better chance you will win.

Well, duh. Regionals 9 out of 10 years, supers 5 out of 10, Omaha 3 out of 10. Average winning 2 games in Omaha each trip. That's 18 wins in Omaha every 30 years. Who thinks that's unreasonable? How many wins do we have? Not 18. 1. How many games have we played? Not 36. 9. You can play with the numbers, but you can't make the reality anywhere even close to expectations. There. Said the same thing, but with more words. Happy?
94chem,
Sandman98
AG
94chem said:

powerbelly said:

Aggies2009 said:

94chem said:

Well, duh. Regionals 9 out of 10 years, supers 5 out of 10, Omaha 3 out of 10. Average winning 2 games in Omaha each trip. That's 18 wins in Omaha every 30 years. Who thinks that's unreasonable? How many wins do we have? Not 18. 1. How many games have we played? Not 36. 9. You can play with the numbers, but you can't make the reality anywhere even close to expectations. There. Said the same thing, but with more words. Happy?

We know bro. You use a metric nobody in the baseball business uses. We get it. Like the poster said, being on the doorstep of Omaha by hosting supers more often and getting there every now and then is the measure. From there it's a crap shoot (ask Coastal and Fresno St). Not one serious person counts the actual wins in Omaha except when someone wins the last game.
EMY92
AG
Aggies2009 said:

94chem said:

It was when Ole Miss was in the top 5 a month ago. That was proof that Bianco was a better choice than Childress even through he doesn't make the post season as often, and has only reached Omaha once in 21 years.
94chem
Sandman98 said:

94chem said:

powerbelly said:

Aggies2009 said:

94chem said:

We know bro. You use a metric nobody in the baseball business uses. We get it. Like the poster said, being on the doorstep of Omaha by hosting supers more often and getting there every now and then is the measure. From there it's a crap shoot (ask Coastal and Fresno St). Not one serious person counts the actual wins in Omaha except when someone wins the last game.

We're still saying the same thing. I've been a fan since 1985, and the reason they've lost the final game in the 6 team regionals so many times is because they were seldom a #1 seed. The reason they don't get through Supers is because they either don't make them or play them on the road. The reason they don't win when they get to Omaha is because they are fish out of water. They don't get close enough often enough. You hang around long enough, you break through. And, well, even if you end up Florida State, you're nuts if you'd rather be Coastal or Fresno State.

And whoever the poster is who thinks I was advocating for the Ole Miss coach is just lying. I don't know his name, don't know his record, and don't care.

I just know that in 37 years of following Aggie baseball, one win in Omaha isn't enough. It's a crazy metric for 3 years, maybe even for 6 years, but for 37 years, it's pretty reasonable to judge by.
94chem,
12thMan9
AG
powerbelly said:

Aggies2009 said:

94chem said:

Florida State on line 1, Miss. St. on line 2, UNC on line 3, Clemson on line 4, Arky on line 5.
Ronnie '88
powerbelly
AG
12thMan9 said:

powerbelly said:

Aggies2009 said:

94chem said:

Florida State on line 1, Miss. St. on line 2, UNC on line 3, Clemson on line 4, Arky on line 5.

Thanks for proving my point.
12thMan9
AG
powerbelly said:

12thMan9 said:

powerbelly said:

Aggies2009 said:

94chem said:

Thanks for proving my point.
Those teams are a combined 0-65 when making it to Omaha. How does that jive with your last sentence?

Super regional hosts are either: 1) top 8 teams determined BEFORE the Regionals or 2) the higher ranked team from the regionals where 1 of the 8 was eliminated.

Someone actually took a look:
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2017-06-28/college-world-series-how-do-national-seeds-perform-ncaa-baseball
Ronnie '88
ColoradoMooseHerd
94chem said:

Sandman98 said:

94chem said:

powerbelly said:

Aggies2009 said:

94chem said:

We're still saying the same thing. I've been a fan since 1985, and the reason they've lost the final game in the 6 team regionals so many times is because they were seldom a #1 seed. The reason they don't get through Supers is because they either don't make them or play them on the road. The reason they don't win when they get to Omaha is because they are fish out of water. They don't get close enough often enough. You hang around long enough, you break through. And, well, even if you end up Florida State, you're nuts if you'd rather be Coastal or Fresno State.

And whoever the poster is who thinks I was advocating for the Ole Miss coach is just lying. I don't know his name, don't know his record, and don't care.

I just know that in 37 years of following Aggie baseball, one win in Omaha isn't enough. It's a crazy metric for 3 years, maybe even for 6 years, but for 37 years, it's pretty reasonable to judge by.

True but that data set encompasses more that one coach. Not saying you are, but some posters use stats like this against Childress or other A&M when they only coached a period of that time
85AustinAg
AG
CMH - I know and remember you playing for the Ags and was just curious what you thought of some of the coaching names being thrown around on here - assuming we make a change. Thoughts? I certainly understand if this is not something you want to discuss on a message board btw.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.