Ole Miss is the New Oklahoma State

3,106 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
Luke The Drifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it took me 9 seasons in the SEC to figure it out, but Ole Miss is the new Oklahoma State. Think about it:

Whiney coaches:
Miss - Bianco
oSu - Holliday/Anderson

Fans:
Miss - incredibly entitled, even though they've not really accomplished much
oSu - ditto

Loudmouth players:
Miss - I mean, did you watch the games this weekend?
oSu - Robin Ventura played for the Pokes...'nuff said

In both cases, I kind of like their other sports teams and their other sports fans. I've enjoyed football and basketball road trips to both places. Both have nice campuses in the middle of nowhere in largely rural states. The similarities are alarming.

So...I hereby declare the Ole Miss Rebels baseball team to be then new Oklahoma State Cowboys. I hope the memory of Will Frizzell haunts you the rest of your days.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Sq 17
We need stunned okie lite fan in ole miss gear
Personally I kiss stunned okie lite memes
Tanya 93
I remember attending the first Big 12 baseball tournament in OKC

An OSU fan walks up to us and says "Welcome to the cowboy invitational"

I think they had won the big eight tournament like 30 times or something close.

After we were in the big 12, I think they won it one time

Screw Coach Holliday

His son Matt is awesome though.
Ag 11
AG
Aggies2009
AG
They had some annoying frat dudes here in 2012 during the regional. Didn't help that we lost to them on two contradicting calls.
Sq 17
Ag11 you are good people with better internet skills than I
blue star for you
twk
AG
In 1989, I follow the Ags to a tournament in Shreveport that included OSU. A cold front blew through on Friday night, and by Saturday night, I wasn't feeling great, so, for the Sunday afternoon game against OSU, I opted to splurge and spend $15 (a big sum of money for a baseball ticket back then) to sit in the indoors club section behind home plate. It was full of OSU baseball parents, and let me tell you, the apple did not fall far from the tree. It was hilarious, and a bit disturbing, to hear OSU baseball moms bragging about the sexual exploits of their sons between snorts of mixed drinks and puffs of cigarettes.

Ole Miss is a little different in that they think they are the Mississippi aristocracy, but the mouthiness is still there--it just comes from a different place.
ensign_beedrill
Luke The Drifter
AG
twk said:

In 1989, I follow the Ags to a tournament in Shreveport that included OSU. A cold front blew through on Friday night, and by Saturday night, I wasn't feeling great, so, for the Sunday afternoon game against OSU, I opted to splurge and spend $15 (a big sum of money for a baseball ticket back then) to sit in the indoors club section behind home plate. It was full of OSU baseball parents, and let me tell you, the apple did not fall far from the tree. It was hilarious, and a bit disturbing, to hear OSU baseball moms bragging about the sexual exploits of their sons between snorts of mixed drinks and puffs of cigarettes.

Ole Miss is a little different in that they think they are the Mississippi aristocracy, but the mouthiness is still there--it just comes from a different place.

Mississippi aristocracy - oxymoron, and certainly not something to brag about.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
greg.w.h
AG
This thread reminded me of an article about British aristocrats who had to lay off their staff during covid-19 and were doing their own lawns and hedges due to lack of tourist income
RGLAG85
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Screw Coach Holliday

Lol!

Josh Holliday, who played there, is the coach of Oklahoma State and the brother of Matt Holliday. Time to move out of the 90's.

Yes, I'm an OSU baseball parent.

All the parents I knew, and it was all of them, were 1st class people. Great gatherings with the players and a very laid back atmosphere. My biggest complaint about the OSU fans is the internet fans live in the past and the game day fans were basically non existent. The crowds were small and older and always left after the 6th inning, even in a 1-0 or 5-4 game. They're a lot like Aggie fans because they obsess about one school.

Some of you have the same problem of living in the past. Smh!
Thomas Jefferson: "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
OKCAGS
The amount of talent that played at OSU under Gary Ward is staggering . For them to have ALL those appearances in Omaha and never winning a title is the definition of futility. His teams were cocky , tough , and very good . They never had enough pitching depth and it always got exposed in Omaha ..... but they were scary to play against . Grown ass men .
MaroonStain
AG
twk said:

I was in attendance for this tournament as well. The 'Dixie College Classic'! OSU had a stacked team and ended our 29-game win streak.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Aggie09Derek
AG
What years did your son play at OSU?
TexasRebel
AG
I tried to get into Okie Lite baseball, but the games I tried to attend were empty. It was good baseball to watch, but nothing I couldn't see on the radio from my office or the bar.

What was the worst part was any heckling done by the fans was directed at the home club coach. Even the umpires had a pass.
denied
Tanya was certainly referring to Tom Holliday when she said Coach Holliday, who is the dad and I would add my dislike for him. We have also seen Tom more recently as an opponent than Josh, so the get out of the 90s comment is misplaced. I also seem to remember Josh being a bit of a tool when he played and as an assistant. Matt was the only one of the three I remember being pleasant, but that could be because he went straight from HS into the Rockies system and they likely got him PR lessons on his way up and while he was still developing his personality.
Tanya 93
RGLAG85 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Screw Coach Holliday

Lol!

Josh Holliday, who played there, is the coach of Oklahoma State and the brother of Matt Holliday. Time to move out of the 90's.

All the parents I knew, and it was all of them, were 1st class people. Great gatherings with the players and a very laid back atmosphere. My biggest complaint about the OSU fans is the internet fans live in the past and the game day fans were basically non existent. The crowds were small and older and always left after the 6th inning, even in a 1-0 or 5-4 game. They're a lot like Aggie fans because they obsess about one school.

How adorable.

You want to lecture me on college baseball.

This will not end well
TellMeMore
NOTHING about Stillwater reminds me of Oxford. It is in Mississippi, but I would spend a week there any day.
The Grove is so unique, people come on football Saturdays and couldn't care less what happen in he stadium. And I assure you more Ole Miss co-eds marry lawyers and bankers than those Cowgirlettes in OK.
Aggie09Derek
AG
TellMeMore!
Faustus
NM
FriscoAggieFan
AG
twk said:

No way this happened but funny
RGLAG85
AG
Tanya 93 said:

RGLAG85 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Screw Coach Holliday

Lol!

How adorable.

You want to lecture me on college baseball.

This will not end well
Not worth it!
Thomas Jefferson: "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
TexasRebel
AG
Baseball board internet fights are weird.
RGLAG85
AG
denied said:

Tanya was certainly referring to Tom Holliday when she said Coach Holliday, who is the dad and I would add my dislike for him. We have also seen Tom more recently as an opponent than Josh, so the get out of the 90s comment is misplaced. I also seem to remember Josh being a bit of a tool when he played and as an assistant. Matt was the only one of the three I remember being pleasant, but that could be because he went straight from HS into the Rockies system and they likely got him PR lessons on his way up and while he was still developing his personality.
Um, Josh was the most recent coach the Ags faced in the Frisco Classic, my son got the win. I knew she was referring to Tom who hasn't coached at OSU since 2003, some 18 years ago. Asst. 78-96 HC 1997-2003 , hence the get out of the 90's. He then went on to be the pitching coach at tu, won a CWS there, NC State, then Auburn. Josh would kill for his players and has done something RC couldn't do, win games in Omaha. Josh's biggest fault is he's a micro manager. He's got Matt, a multi time MLB all star hitter and Robin Ventura, like him or not a hell of a baseball player and former MLB manager, in the dugout and he can't let go of the offense. I didn't always see eye to eye with Josh but I always knew he wanted his players and my son to become better men and they all love him for that. Most good coaches run a little hot, it's in their nature of being uber competitive. Josh was on Tim Corbin's staff as an assistant and Corbs loves him. Josh is definitely passionate, for good reason, about OSU baseball.
RGLAG85
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

What years did your son play at OSU?
2016-2020

He's now in the Cubs organization at Double A Tennessee. I'll share his recent journey in pro ball before I'm questioned again. Lol! He's overcome multiple surgeries, 5 in a 24 month span. His original surgery created complications that had to be dealt with twice more and we thought he was done after the third. It took it out of him psychologically. Throw in an emergency appendectomy and a sports hernia in between. It's a miracle he was able to find the will to continue. But Josh Holliday stuck with him when we knew no other major DI program would have. He was sky rocketing up the draft boards when covid hit and with the draft only 5 rounds, he knew he was on the bubble. Although several clubs courted him heavily and stayed in constant contact on draft day, he went undrafted and signed with one of those clubs, the Cubs, after the draft. He got an invite to Fall instruct and apparently had a very good showing there. He continued that during spring training but knew the business side of pro baseball and the numbers were showing him he'd end up at High A, South Bend. On the last day of spring training he was informed he was going to High A. He made the drive to South Bend,(27 hour), he had his car in Arizona, and arrived on Saturday the 1st. We left on Sunday morning to take him supplies to live in an apartment or house and to watch his pro debut. Now it's incredible that he was even starting at High A as an undrafted free agent out of college. We stopped in Tulsa to eat lunch and before we could get back on 44 to head for Saint Louis, he called, sounded very shaken, scared us that something bad had happened only for him to tell us to change our trip to Kodak, Tn., he had been promoted to Double A before ever throwing a pitch in his official minor league career. He got in his car and drove the 7.5 hours to Tennessee and we rerouted to the same. He's the only pitcher on their staff that doesn't have any minor league service, most have multiple years. Yes, we're proud and he's doing what he loves.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Congrats!

One reason why I asked, there is another Poke from my hometown that was probably class of '07 from there. Played for the Cubs organization as well and coached for them too for a while.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.