Story Poster
Texas A&M Baseball

Kendall Rogers on 2021 host bubble, A&M's chances at Hoover and more

May 6, 2021

Key notes from Kendall Rogers interview

• This is an audition this week for a lot of teams. South Carolina got swept last weekend and dropped out of a hosting spot. They have a chance against Mississippi State this weekend. Southern Miss is another one that can get into the top 20, as could Charlotte and LA Tech. The ACC is an interesting league, a non-traditional power like Pittsburgh in the top 20 in RPI, but Louisville and Florida State are outside. What does the committee do there? There's a lot of uncertainty here, but I feel very confident on 17 or 18 sites out of the 20.

• Theoretically, a team could be a two or three seed in their own regional. Teams could lose their last three series and plummet in their conference tournament. I expect that to happen in one or two regionals, especially out west. UCLA has some work to do to solidify a host, but there's really no other option for a host spot in southern California.

• The thing about Ole Miss is you never know what to expect from this week to week. They got Gunnar Hoglund back in their weekend rotation, and he was good against South Carolina.

• If you're Texas A&M at this point, Mikey Hoehner said it best; there is nothing left to talk about. The Aggies could win their final three series and still only have 11 conference wins. They have to win all three series and win like three games in Hoover to have a chance to get in. It is very hard to imagine them getting into the postseason. All you can do is go out against an inconsistent Ole Miss team and hope to get yourself back into the discussion.

• There are three teams tied at the bottom of the standings in the Southeastern Conference. The smart money would be on Missouri being left out. They've lost six straight and aren't playing good baseball. The series between Auburn and A&M will probably determine which one makes the conference tournament. It would be a big disappointment if A&M couldn't make the SEC Tournament.

• I still think Jack Leiter is the SEC Pitcher of the Year. He has like 108 strikeouts in about 60 innings. I would not discount Kevin Kopps at Arkansas. He's a reliever, but he is the most important player on the No. 1 team in the country.

• For player of the year, I might lean Tanner Allen. He's hitting .360 and is the catalyst of that Mississippi State team. I love the energy and clutch factor he brings. There is no obvious choice of offensive player of the year.
Discussion from...

Kendall Rogers on 2021 host bubble, A&M's chances at Hoover & more

1,786 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Gabe Bock
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.