New coach

146,480 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
LB12Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shewmake, thanks for proving my point. One guy in the last several years and no one recently out of HS.
AgBQ80
AG
Deloach.
W
AG
the tough thing with Shewmake...his worst year was his last year (2019).

hit .289 with an .818 OPS in conference play.

had better numbers in 2017 (.874 OPS in league play) and 2018 (.885 OPS)
LB12Diamond
AG
Teams were probably giving him very little to hit bc we did not have the line up to make them pitch to him.
12thMan9
AG
I just looked up the 2018 class of recruits. Best I can tell, 4 of the 14 are on the roster. 6 of 13 for 2019.

Couldn't find 2017 in the same manner as the others, but I'll say that Childress hasn't had a problem getting good people. He has lost a fair amount to the draft. That leaves you scrambling, if needed, to fill spots in the Fall.

But you can look at the roster & see the turnover from year to year, and that's not just us. The grinders will find somewhere to play, others just give up the ghost & become students, 11.7 spread over 25-30 kids does make it hard to keep consistency IMO.
Ronnie '88
coloradoag69
AG
There's no doubt that baseball is the hardest to recruit for. As was stated you average less than 0.5 scholarships per roster player, I believe the NCAA requires that every play receives at least 0.25 scholarships, the MLB drafts can take away scholarship players before they arrive on campus and again after they are juniors or worse, after their sophomore year if they turn 21 by a certain date.

We also play in a brutal conference with few easy conference games. I hope I'm wrong, but I think a one-year turn around so we are SEC contenders next year will be very difficult.
Sq 17
contending would be nice but making the tourney a is what's important
Luke The Drifter
AG
coloradoag69 said:

There's no doubt that baseball is the hardest to recruit for. As was stated you average less than 0.5 scholarships per roster player, I believe the NCAA requires that every play receives at least 0.25 scholarships, the MLB drafts can take away scholarship players before they arrive on campus and again after they are juniors or worse, after their sophomore year if they turn 21 by a certain date.

We also play in a brutal conference with few easy conference games. I hope I'm wrong, but I think a one-year turn around so we are SEC contenders next year will be very difficult.

While this may be true, somehow Florida, Mississippi State, LSU, Texas Tech, Arkansas, North Carolina, UCLA, and others keep cranking out solid team after solid team after solid team. So...despite all of the limitations in baseball with scholarships, MLB opportunities, and such...there are programs out there that just keep winning and winning and winning. There is a formula and a script that works. We just need to find a coach who knows how to push the right buttons.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
EMY92
AG
Each of those schools have off years. A&M has been very consistent, that's why we have the 3rd longest NCAA playoff appearance streak.

This year, LSU is almost as bad as we are.
Luke The Drifter
AG
EMY92 said:

Each of those schools have off years. A&M has been very consistent, that's why we have the 3rd longest NCAA playoff appearance streak.

This is, LSU is almost as bad as we are.

LSU is currently #24 in the RPI. We are #80. I'd love it if in our "off" years, we were still a top 25 team.

And maybe those schools have off years, but when they do get to the post-season, the expectation is to make a very deep run. Our expectation is to just be happy we made it.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
This is Tadlock or bust for imo
Luke The Drifter
AG
BeatHellOutOfTU said:

This is Tadlock or bust for imo

I'm very leery of Big 12 coaches. Not because I hate the B12 or anything, but think about the advantages they have built in over the SEC.

1. Only 8 weekends of conference games vs. 10 weekends in the SEC. This gives B12 teams flexibility to schedule two more non-conference weekends, allowing them to work the RPI in their favor.

2. Of those 8 weekends, every year at least 2 of them...often 3 of them...are essentially easy sweep weekends. Free weekend vacations in the middle of league play. In the SEC, you can't pad your record vs. Kansas, K-State, and WVU.

3. There are an odd number of B12 baseball teams (ISU does not play), which means you can schedule a non-conference weekend in the middle of league play. This season Tech scheduled a home series vs. RPI #149 South Florida. TCU scheduled a home series vs. RPI #129 UL-Monroe. This gives your team a mid-stream mental break, which you do not get in the 10-week grind of an SEC schedule.

4. The road trips are easier in the Big 12. No real rabid fans - you won't play in front of 7,000+ opposing fan maniacs ever...much less half of your conference road trip weekends like you do in the SEC.

Note that I do think Tadlock and Schlossnagle are great coaches, but it will be a challenge for anyone to make the move from what is essentially a league with 5 or 6 decent teams to a league that regularly has 10 or 11 really, really good teams. I want someone who understands the constant grind of the SEC life...which is why Vitello from Tennessee gets my vote.

85AustinAg
AG
The thing about Tadlock though (conference affiliation aside) - is his ability to get his teams to Omaha. I don't care what conference you are in it takes a special kind of coach to do this continually.
Luke The Drifter
AG
85AustinAg said:

The thing about Tadlock though (conference affiliation aside) - is his ability to get his teams to Omaha. I don't care what conference you are in it takes a special kind of coach to do this continually.

Agreed, which is why I acknowledged he's a great coach. I wouldn't be upset if we got him...but just a little concerned about whether or not he could survive the rigors of SEC play. It takes a special kind of coach to go to Omaha continually...but it also takes a special kind of coach to be successful in the meat-grinder that is the Southeastern Conference.

LB12Diamond
AG
So Tadlock is a Tech alum. He's not leaving. Next
Spyderman
AG
Jebber said:

Not so fast my friend..
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
TXAGBQ76
AG
Plus, didn't he turn us down and we went for RC?
Aggies2009
AG
Spyderman said:

Jebber said:

Not so fast my friend..

Why you say that?

He can stay at Tech as long as he wants at this point. Why would he leave that, his alma mater, where he's built an elite program, to come here where he will be expected to produce against the toughest baseball conference in the country?
Capitol Ag
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Can you honestly say that you would expect a coach to come in and take what's here now presently add some or quite a few transfers...
And immediately compete with Vanderbilt, Florida, Mississippi State, and Arkansas for the championship In year one?

I'm not gonna say it's impossible put the roster would pretty much have to turn completely over during the off-season with transfers to accomplish that...
Unfortunately the talent level has Severely eroded from a hitting stand point and the bullpen to the point where that would be required.

I have a feeling the roster will turn over quite a bit especially with the new transfer rules.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Agreed to a certain extent, and Tech did start their season 0-3 vs. SEC teams. However, they just won a series vs. cow in Austin.

Obviously I would never hire a football coach that was successful in the Big 12 as that is a really poor level of competition compared to the SEC. But in baseball I don't think it is all that much different or important. I think if you took the current Tech team and put them in Olsen Field and made them an SEC team they would be very competitive every weekend in the SEC.

Regardless, Tadlock is NOT an option IMHO, we can ask to talk to him, but it will be a short conversation and just something he could use to gain more $$ and prestige for his program.

I'd go with Deggs, that Texas born assistant at Miss. State, etc., there are many good candidates, we need to look beyond Tadlock and the tcu guy. It just needs to be a good hire, the right hire, does not have to be a highly successful HC that has multiple conference championships and CWS appearances.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

the right hire, does not have to be a highly successful HC that has multiple conference championships and CWS appearances.
If we had the baseball pedigree of a Vanderbilt or the sips I'd agree. We don't. I don't think we can afford to take a chance on an Assistant. We need a proven HC - be that Vitello, Schlossnagle, Tadlock or a few others. We've tried the Assistant route and we risk falling even further behind unless we just so happen to pick a one in a million. We can't risk that.
LB12Diamond
AG
I agree,

Tadlock hopes we reach out so he can get a pretty nice raise. After losing their basketball coach to the sips which he was a sip alum so no big shocker. Tech will throw a ton of money to Tadlock if we act interested and he's not leaving there anyway so kind of funny if they did do it.

I just want a coach the is able to get a team to be competent in all 3 phases of the game. Not just one.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Do you really think it would be the best for our athletic department and baseball program to hire a guy that we fired as an assistant rather than a proven winner who has skins on the wall?
dermdoc
AG
I think some of y'all are really underestimating how good the A&M job is.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LB12Diamond
AG
Oh really, well let's see how it all plays out and can revisit this thread once we have a new coach.
Wicked Good Ag
TAMU is a top flight job in the premier baseball conference. No question we will have some extremely good candidates interested. I don't know if you can get a top 10 coach to leave their current position

What I do think people overestimate is our facilities compared to many other programs especially in conference.

The analogy for facilities I make is like a poker game. You may have a top 15 facility but if the top 10 are all at your table then you are "sucker"
Sandman98
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

TAMU is a top flight job in the premier baseball conference. No question we will have some extremely good candidates interested. I don't know if you can get a top 10 coach to leave their current position

What I do think people overestimate is our facilities compared to many other programs especially in conference.

The analogy for facilities I make is like a poker game. You may have a top 15 facility but if the top 10 are all at your table then you are "sucker"

Only if your really believe the facilities are the difference between winning and losing recruits.

Since that's never the case, it doesn't matter that much.
hunter2012
AG
I think the appeal for Tadlock will be closer proximity to Texas cities for recruiting and the SEC slate itself. Sure the conference slate will be harder but that just means his teams will have better fortitude going into regionals/supers/Omaha. It's at least worth a pitch to point out that a top 3 SEC team would be made of iron and would make even Omaha easier because he faced those same teams week in and week out.
Monywolf
Alpha Texan said:

Sq 17 said:

Alpha Texan said:

I'd give it about 3 years of rebuild before I hope to have a good chance in year 3. College baseball gives freshmen a better chance to compete than football so it's not necessarily time to develop players so much as time to get the a foot in the state and gather talent.

That being said, for both his presence in state and what he has accomplished at Iraq Texas Tech, I want to crack open the checkbook for Tim Tadlock.

Problem with hiring Tadlock , he is already well compensated. As a coach why would you take over a rebuild when you have been consistently getting to Omaha with your current team. He is also a tech Alum.

Possibly we could money whip the UVA guy or Schlossnagle
I still think we could compensate enough, but I didn't know he's a Tech alum, so that's not gonna happen.

Apparently Schloss isn't going anywhere. I even feel like I heard A&M has talked to him before and there's no interest.
Schloss will come to A&M. Given his personal situation, he wants a fresh start. Expect Mosiello to follow, but not Saarloos.
Sq 17
Which thread about getting a new coach had the buyouts and current contracts of everybody that was under consideration could someone please post it here
powerbelly
AG
dermdoc said:

It makes them happy to think of us as lovable losers
Sandman98
AG
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

the right hire, does not have to be a highly successful HC that has multiple conference championships and CWS appearances.
If we had the baseball pedigree of a Vanderbilt or the sips I'd agree. We don't. I don't think we can afford to take a chance on an Assistant. We need a proven HC - be that Vitello, Schlossnagle, Tadlock or a few others. We've tried the Assistant route and we risk falling even further behind unless we just so happen to pick a one in a million. We can't risk that.

A pedigree that literally didn't exist until they hired a Clemson assistant back in 2003.

(And until they approved use of endowment for baseball)
dermdoc
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

So which of these other facilities have you been to?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Luke The Drifter
AG
dermdoc said:

I think you're over-estimating it. We are NOT a national power. Not even close. We're a consistent regional program with ZERO national success. Whoever comes here will have a daunting task of taking us from a good...but certainly not great...program to a nationally recognized player. It won't be easy, considering our biggest accomplishments as a program are SWC and Big 12 tourney titles.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
How do you figure it will be a daunting task with the way the transfer portal currently works?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.