New coach

146,962 Views | 932 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BQ_90
MCAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Assuming we get a new coach after this season would we realistically be able to contend in the SEC next season or is this a multi year rebuild at this point?
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Can you honestly say that you would expect a coach to come in and take what's here now presently add some or quite a few transfers...
And immediately compete with Vanderbilt, Florida, Mississippi State, and Arkansas for the championship In year one?

I'm not gonna say it's impossible put the roster would pretty much have to turn completely over during the off-season with transfers to accomplish that...
Unfortunately the talent level has Severely eroded from a hitting stand point and the bullpen to the point where that would be required.

12thmanfootball
AG
Who is Arky's coach??? I'd hire that fellar.
MCAg09
AG
If we hired a top notch coach would he be able to bring in some top Hs and transfer talent to turn it around? With the new transfer rules, I would think we could turn the roster around.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Contend as in get back to the NCAA tournament, sure.

Childress ran some people off in his first season, and by his second we were in a super regional with a vastly different looking roster and won the conference tournament. In his third year we won the conference.

Vitello had Tennessee in the tournament by his second season after they'd taken over a decade off from being a tournament team. They've been a Top 10 team for a lot of this season.
Alpha Texan
AG
I'd give it about 3 years of rebuild before I hope to have a good chance in year 3. College baseball gives freshmen a better chance to compete than football so it's not necessarily time to develop players so much as time to get the a foot in the state and gather talent.

That being said, for both his presence in state and what he has accomplished at Iraq Texas Tech, I want to crack open the checkbook for Tim Tadlock.
Dallasag517
AG
MLB teams will sometimes draft players out of high school and put them in their farm system which never happens in football. The NBA will draft exceptional players after 1 year in college. Both distinctly different than football.

So with baseball you can attract alot of players that just miss on the upper echelon of skills and put together a very good team in short order. In addition I think how scholarships work in baseball make it a little more flexible for the coach encourage players to leave, stay or come on board. However I'm not 100% sure how those scholarships work.

Sq 17
Alpha Texan said:

I'd give it about 3 years of rebuild before I hope to have a good chance in year 3. College baseball gives freshmen a better chance to compete than football so it's not necessarily time to develop players so much as time to get the a foot in the state and gather talent.

That being said, for both his presence in state and what he has accomplished at Iraq Texas Tech, I want to crack open the checkbook for Tim Tadlock.

Problem with hiring Tadlock , he is already well compensated. As a coach why would you take over a rebuild when you have been consistently getting to Omaha with your current team. He is also a tech Alum.

Possibly we could money whip the UVA guy or Schlossnagle
jja79
AG
Very little SEC talent on this team. We know a 2021 signee that had no other D1 offers.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
And you think the others you mentioned aren't set up for runs? Smh, again posters like you are grossly underestimating how attractive the job is....
Alpha Texan
AG
Sq 17 said:

Alpha Texan said:

Problem with hiring Tadlock , he is already well compensated. As a coach why would you take over a rebuild when you have been consistently getting to Omaha with your current team. He is also a tech Alum.

Possibly we could money whip the UVA guy or Schlossnagle
I still think we could compensate enough, but I didn't know he's a Tech alum, so that's not gonna happen.

Apparently Schloss isn't going anywhere. I even feel like I heard A&M has talked to him before and there's no interest.
Hop
Staff
AG
With the new transfer rule and the usual JUCO talent supply that waits to sign in the summer, a baseball roster can be turned over very quickly.

If A&M hires a very good to elite coach (and I think they will), you'll see an immediate improvement in year one, and by year two the new coach will have the roster up to full strength and making a run at Omaha.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
That's simply Not the case... so I'm not sure you heard talking but... they were wrong.
85AustinAg
AG
Make Tadlock in the top 3 of highest paid coaches in the country and promise him improvements to the facilities and I think we can get him.
TAM85
W
AG
Childress won 48 games in his second year.

went heavy on the jucos: Hicks, Darby, Feltner, Kirkland, Newmann, Dane Carter, Brian Ruggiano, et al

that approach worked out very well
12thMan9
AG
11.7 spread over 25-30 kids. You see roster changes every year.
Ronnie '88
W
AG
it will be fun for the aggie baseball historians to compare the "cupboards" left behind.

among the players MJ left for Childress:

Kyle Nicholson
Jason Meyer
Jordan Chambless
Parker Dalton
Craig Stinson
Blake Stouffer

and I think Kyle Colligan and Kyle Thebeau were November 2004 signees for MJ. Not sure if Luke Anders was too.

you know...that's a pretty good list of ballplayers
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
W said:

it will be fun for the aggie baseball historians to compare the "cupboards" left behind.

Kyle Nicholson
Jason Meyer
Jordan Chambless
Parker Dalton
Craig Stinson
Blake Stouffer

and I think Kyle Colligan and Kyle Thebeau were November 2004 signees for MJ. Not sure if Luke Anders was too.

MJ left some other dudes for Childress whom he ran off went and started for other programs who made the CWS too.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
What do you think on the present team would be considered "a dude" or a sure fire player.
Spyderman
AG
I'll just say people better get their licks in this year.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
MCAg09
AG
Hop said:

With the new transfer rule and the usual JUCO talent supply that waits to sign in the summer, a baseball roster can be turned over very quickly.

If A&M hires a very good to elite coach (and I think they will), you'll see an immediate improvement in year one, and by year two the new coach will have the roster up to full strength and making a run at Omaha.
That's what i wanted to hear!
W
AG
if I remember correctly...the great purge came after Childress' first season (2006) --- not before his first season.

so most of the underclassmen will get a shot with the new coach...and then the transfers will pour in.

only 3 players are hitting above .240 in conference play. Two of them for sure won't be back: Frizzell (draft) and Alejo (eligibility expired).

there could be massive turnover

W
AG
and as previously mentioned...with the new transfer rule...

the new coach...might bring numerous players with him. Especially if he is a P5 coach already
I already have a dog
AG
We actually have a team full of players who can play at this level. Really good teams have 4 to 5 guys starting who are pretty similar to guys on our roster. The problem is that we don't have anyone who exceeds the solid contributor level. We don't need a total rebuild to be a host a regional, compete for a CWS spot sort of team. We just need to bring in a few studs who can lead the pack of capable guys we already have.

And for the first time in a long time we need more pitching too...
LB12Diamond
AG
New coach will definitely change up 2022 recruits as far as hitters. Can't remember the last recruit we had that had a great bat.
TAMU1990
AG
W said:

if I remember correctly...the great purge came after Childress' first season (2006) --- not before his first season.

so most of the underclassmen will get a shot with the new coach...and then the transfers will pour in.

only 3 players are hitting above .240 in conference play. Two of them for sure won't be back: Frizzell (draft) and Alejo (eligibility expired).

there could be massive turnover

Why? If we can get transfers now the new coach should do it.
Foxo
AG
"Tadlock, who took the Red Raiders to the College World Series for the third time in five years, will receive a seven-year, $7 million deal that pays him $300,000 in base salary and $700,000 in rights fees each year of the contract. The agreement runs through Aug. 31, 2025."

College World Series coaches' pay
  • Vanderbilt's Tim Corbin: $1,300,000.
  • Arkansas' Dave Van Horn: $1,100,000.
  • Louisville's Dan McDonnell: $1,100,000.
  • Auburn's Butch Thompson: $1,000,000.
  • Texas Tech's Tim Tadlock: $1,000,000.
  • Florida State's Mike Martin: $700,000.
  • Mississippi State's Chris Lemonis: $600,000.
old yeller
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

W said:

Kyle Nicholson
Jason Meyer
Jordan Chambless
Parker Dalton
Craig Stinson
Blake Stouffer

MJ left some other dudes for Childress whom he ran off went and started for other programs who made the CWS too.

Can you name some names?
AgfromHOU
AG
W said:

Kyle Nicholson
Jason Meyer
Jordan Chambless
Parker Dalton
Craig Stinson
Blake Stouffer

That list sure brings back some memories. My first game at Olsen was in the spring of 2005.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Jebber said:

New coach will definitely change up 2022 recruits as far as hitters. Can't remember the last recruit we had that had a great bat.
Shewmake was on the last team that played a full season....first round draft pick.
Sandman98
AG
Jebber said:

Yah you have to go wayyyyyy back to 2020 when a recruited bat went in the 2nd round.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Shew was Recruiting class of 2016...
Sandman98
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Shew was Recruiting class of 2016...

Shew wasn't drafted in 2020. Give it another shot.
SchizoAg
AG
12thmanfootball said:

Who is Arky's coach??? I'd hire that fellar.
Not an option. He won't come here to take the job from his friend and former assistant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.