Tony Vitello

46,923 Views | 268 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by powerbelly
C.O.F.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has Vitello been discussed. Makes roughly $200,000 less than Childress. Resurrecting a Tennessee program. Former assistant at TCU and Arkansas. I can't imagine Tennessee wanting to pay a non revenue sport the money to match what we may potentially offer a baseball coach. I don't think a 1 million offer is out of the question, as Rob makes over 800K I believe. If we can't get a pipe dream coach like the Louisville guy than this is my top choice.
Monywolf
Tony should be at the top of the list.
W
AG
he's on the list
MSFC Aggie
AG
Yes......has been mentioned alot
C.O.F.
Awesome thanks! Didn't see a thread topic on him in the first two pages.
MSFC Aggie
AG
I don't think there is a specific thread, but a couple of "replace RC with..." threads that mentioned him
BurnetAggie99
Just like Rob is a Dave Van Horn assistant
Luke The Drifter
AG
I'm going to jump right in here and remind everyone I was the first to suggest this guy. Well...maybe not the first, but I was on his bandwagon very early on.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
#Mke
AG
Literally was talking about him today at lunch!

He's a great candidate for the job, and should be near the top of the list.
W
AG
Bjork should take him to lunch when the Vols come to town.

I think Byrne did similar back in 2005 when the Huskers visited Olsen
C.O.F.
Except Vitello is actually a head coach and took Tennessee to their first regional since 2005 in his second year. Last year he had Tennessee off to their best start in program history before covid, and this year they are currently tied for first in the SEC. Vitello is more of a known commodity than Childress was.
Luke The Drifter
AG
C.O.F. said:

Except Vitello is actually a head coach and took Tennessee to their first regional since 2005 in his second year. Last year he had Tennessee off to their best start in program history before covid, and this year they are currently tied for first in the SEC. Vitello is more of a known commodity than Childress was.

And, therefore, will be more expensive and more difficult to pry away from his current situation.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
C.O.F.
It will be more difficult, but Rob makes about 150K more this year than Vitello. So a 1 mil payday isn't that much of a jump for us. Tennessee has just paid a lot in buyouts for a football coach and AD, will they want to spend decent money keeping a non revenue sport HC?
JDay
Been on the Vitello bandwagon for close to two years now. Just hope the Aggies aren't too late to pull the trigger on this one and lose him to a bigger player (possibly LSU if they don't make a major improvement) or let him stay at Tennessee long enough to develop an attachment and feel like he can win big there.

He definitely got a lot more expensive. Not just going to have to outbid Tennessee for him in my opinion.
twk
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

C.O.F. said:

And, therefore, will be more expensive and more difficult to pry away from his current situation.

I feel pretty sure that Vitello will not be coaching in Knoxville next year. There will be a number of openings where he will be a top candidate. He might be number one on my list, but from what I've read, I will be highly disappointed if we don't get either Vitello or Schlossnagle. We should not have to settle for less than one of those two.
BurnetAggie99
C.O.F. said:

I get all that Rob has 600 wins in his career as HC in the Big 12 & SEC. if A&M going to make a change needs to be a Jimbo type hire on the baseball level
TxA&Mhunter
AG
I just don't get the logic...
Outside of a few really good pitchers... What can you say about the last five years worth of teams?
Could be hit really well? Were they ironclad on defense?
BurnetAggie99
TxA&Mhunter said:

I just don't get the logic...
Outside of a few really good pitchers... What can you say about the last five years worth of teams?
Could be hit really well? Were they ironclad on defense?

2015 & 2016 teams were legit and complete type teams.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Yet those teams are a distant memory... And in those years we didn't get out of the super regionals Also did not finish better than second in the west.
Lance Uppercut
AG
12th Man Stan Account
AG
Tony Vitello is #1 on my list of realistic candidates. I like that he's young (42) and still has his whole career ahead of him. Plus he has proven success in the SEC. Much harder to win here than in some of these other conferences.

I've also seen Erik Bakich's name thrown around on this board. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not super impressed with him. Looks like he had one really good year at Michigan, but that's it. And the Big Ten is the weakest baseball conference in the P5, no guarantee he would succeed in the SEC.
jkag89
BurnetAggie99 said:

C.O.F. said:

I get all that Rob has 600 wins in his career as HC in the Big 12 & SEC. if A&M going to make a change needs to be a Jimbo type hire on the baseball level
What Jimbo type hire is out there for the picking? The Ags were able to lure Fisher away because he was not completely happy with the situation in Tallahassee.
BurnetAggie99
Brian O'Connor Virginia HC is someone I hope the Ags go after. Another name is Cliff Godwin HC at East Carolina
jkag89
BurnetAggie99 said:

Brian O'Connor Virginia HC is someone I hope the Ags go after hard
Is he dissatisfied with his situation at Virginia?

While I would not be unhappy with Godwin. I would not classify his hire as a "Jimbo" type hire.
85AustinAg
AG
Virginia guy makes $1.1 mil right now. I don't think we're going to outbid UVA to get him and to me that's overpaying. We need a guy making around $800K so we can make him a $1 mil coach for us. IMHO a guy making a mil+ somewhere else is going to be out of our price range. The million $ club includes: Mainieri at LSU, Corbin at Vandy, McDonnel at Louisville, Schlossnage at TCU, Bianco at Ole miss, O Sullivan at Florida, Van Horn at Arky, OConnor at Virginia, Tadlock at tceh, and Butch Johnson at Auburn. Sip coach makes $900K.

These are the only 2 Power 5 guys mentioned that aren't making $1 mil +. Others mentioned would be assistants or HC at non Power 5 programs.
Bakich at Michigan is an $800K guy with a 150K buyout.
Vitello at UT is a 600K guy with a 500K buyout.

85AustinAg
AG
To me Lemonis at Miss State should be on the list as well. Makes $725K and buyout is $795K.
Wabs
AG
sips stole Tech's basketball coach. Let's steal their baseball coach....
twk
AG
Wabs said:

Beard was a t.u. alum going home to Austin. Tadlock is a Tech alum. Unless he has some issues with the AD, he's not leaving.
Spyderman
AG
Get the coach at whoever wins the NC in Omaha...
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
BurnetAggie99
twk said:

Wabs said:

Beard was a t.u. alum going home to Austin. Tadlock is a Tech alum. Unless he has some issues with the AD, he's not leaving.

Plus he's already making a million plus at Tech. Only draw would be being over a SEC program, offer little more money, great pay for his coaches and a plan to upgrade Olsen and facilities to bring them in line with some of the top SEC schools that have recently done upgrades
PhatMack19
AG
He just got tossed in the Vandy game. He was right though. Corbin was almost in play calling a ball foul down the 3rd base line
PhatMack19
AG
PhatMack19 said:

He just got tossed in the Vandy game. He was right though. Corbin was almost in play calling a ball foul down the 3rd base line

The runner on 3rd actually caught the ball before it passed the base. It was foul but still. Nothing was said. Tennessee was down. Tony took up for his team. The crowd went nuts. It didn't help this game, but nice to see some fire from the head coach.
fieldtrailer
AG
How did his interview go this weekend?
W
AG
he left his business card on the playing field:

20 runs
Spyderman
AG
DAN MCDONNELL.....thoughts on Dan?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.