We need to throw a truck of money at Rick Vanderhook now!

2,938 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TxA&Mhunter
BTHOB-98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dude has averaged like 33-34 wins a season for like 6-7 years.
ftworthag02
AG
How bout Kirk saarloos?
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Honesty we need some one who values Texas baseball kids... and understands we don't really have to leave the state for talent unless we want to.
ftworthag02
AG
You think a team of only Texas kids will dominate the sec? I know they're a private school but look at how tcu recruits. All over the country
Clown_World
ftworthag02 said:

You think a team of only Texas kids will dominate the sec? I know they're a private school but look at how tcu recruits. All over the country

You don't have to have EXCLUSIVELY Texas kids, but a team of primarily Texans would do just fine in the SEC. The problem has been getting the right ones to come to Texas A&M.
aggiewilliford
Gary Gilmore Coastal Carolina coach...I have wanted this guy for awhile now.
CampingAg
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

Dude has averaged like 33-34 wins a season for like 6-7 years.
What? RC has averaged over 40 wins for the last seven full seasons.
W
AG
right now I would be okay with throwing a truckload of money at the Bryan or Consol coach
1stGenAg01
AG
Replace one pitching coach for another? No thanks.
jmcfar_98
AG
DP
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
I'm surprised Will Davis @ Lamar hasn't been thrown out in any of these discussions. Starter @ LSU, Asst. Coach under Maineiri for 8yrs, Already sent 7 players to the MLB from Lamar in his first 5 seasons, and recruits all across the country. Can't believe he's lasted as long as he has at LU and not picked up by a major program!
jmcfar_98
AG
jmcfar_98 said:

CoachO_08 said:

ftworthag02 said:

You don't have to have EXCLUSIVELY Texas kids, but a team of primarily Texans would do just fine in the SEC. The problem has been getting the right ones to come to Texas A&M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Heefner
Mr.Ackar07
Raggie21
Problem with getting these type of guys is they are program lifers. Guy at Fullerton played there and was an assistant forever before becoming head boss. Same story at Coastal which is the two best mid majors right now.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Yea I do, with out a doubt. Just like you couldn't softball... Sure you're going to have the 4-5 kids that Your pool from out of state... But let's look at it from a scholarship standpoint
Since they only give partial scholarships do you think it's easier from an in-state perspective or an out-of-state perspective to go to school here while playing baseball?
Aggieranger
This would be getting rid of one that is just like the other expecting a different outcome. You must be a Democrat, sorry that was rude., you're probably not a Democrat. Both coaches have double digit regional appearances, 4 Super Regionals and 2 CWS with no win.
I don't know what the answer is but if this is it I'll stick with RC!
Aggieranger
Aggieranger
aggiewilliford said:

Gilmore isn't going anywhere. He's been there since 1996, born in VA, next state over. Compound that he is under going Cancer Treatment so he's not going to be far from family.
PhatMack19
AG
Three Twenties and A Ten said:

I'm surprised Will Davis @ Lamar hasn't been thrown out in any of these discussions. Starter @ LSU, Asst. Coach under Maineiri for 8yrs, Already sent 7 players to the MLB from Lamar in his first 5 seasons, and recruits all across the country. Can't believe he's lasted as long as he has at LU and not picked up by a major program!

Nice try Will, but you are 77-107 and Lamar fans aren't happy with you.
TexAgs1992
Vanderhook would be a disaster.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I would rather get an outstanding hitting coach.. Craig Bell at UF or Mike Baxter at Vandy
TXAggie2011
AG
Aggieranger said:

aggiewilliford said:

Gilmore isn't going anywhere. He's been there since 1996, born in VA, next state over. Compound that he is under going Cancer Treatment so he's not going to be far from family.
Gilmore also played his college ball at Coastal Carolina.

And Rick Vanderhook played at Cal State Fullerton. He did, however, get a degree from Trinity in San Antonio.

(I don't really know the story of how a coach in California got a degree from Trinity, in 2003 before remote classes were a big thing...so I don't know how much of a "connection" to Texas that is.)
TXAggie2011
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

Honest question---why do you think that? He won a national championship as a player, an assistant coach, and has been successful as a head coach.

I think at this point, he's coached in 8 or 9 College World Series.
Agsncws
AG
Any suggestion other than we take the best possible talent available can go kick rocks. EOS
Floorguy
Mitch Thompson would do a hell of a job. Hell of a recruiter/ developer at Baylor, and McClennan is a powerhouse since he took over there.
fieldtrailer
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

TexAgs1992 said:

Honest question---why do you think that? He won a national championship as a player, an assistant coach, and has been successful as a head coach.

I think at this point, he's coached in 8 or 9 College World Series.

As a HC, only 2. I've always liked to watch Cal St Fullerton. I like his conf record. And his teams seem to get better by end of season.

BBAg74
AG
Floorguy said:

Mitch Thompson would do a hell of a job. Hell of a recruiter/ developer at Baylor, and McClennan is a powerhouse since he took over there.
I agree, Floorguy. He got royally shafted at Baylor and that began the slide that cost Smith his job. Mitch knows hitting, people, and has a recruiting network with MLB scouts that he taps into. He understands what it takes to win and would be a great hire, imo.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I used to enjoy watching California baseball years ago before I had kids, but Vanderhook would not fit in well in Aggieland. Years ago, I wanted to see us hire his predecessor at Fullerton instead of RC, but I don't think that he would have been accepted here either.
jkag89
ftworthag02 said:

How bout Kirk saarloos?
Rumored to have turned down a few jobs; Stanford, Rice and as the pitching coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks (yes the MLB team).

Just throwing this out there, I know he also the Froggies recruiting coordinator but with all the weeping, wailing & gnashing of teeth with RC being pitching coach material and not really a head coach, are we willing to turn over the reigns of the program to another pitching coach? Don't get me wrong, if Bjork does not at least gauge Saarloos possible interest in coming south to be in the Olsen Field home dugout, he is not doing his job properly.

I personally would be much happier with Saarloos hire than Vanderhook.
SABUILDERAG
Dusty Hart - Grayson
Sandman98
AG
ftworthag02
AG
Mike clement
MSU/SECALUM
TxA&Mhunter said:

Honesty we need some one who values Texas baseball kids... and understands we don't really have to leave the state for talent unless we want to.
And we just saw what all that Texas talent did in the State Farm series in Arlington. 1-8 outstanding.
ftworthag02
AG
Ags 33 of 38 kids from TX
tcu 25 of 42 kids from TX (the only team to get a win at State Farm showdown)
TxA&Mhunter
AG
It's honesty about the right mix of kids... How many of these kids are from the greater Houston area in Dallas area??

How many of these kids have specific skill sets that pair well on a team...
What is our priority on getting kids that can simply mash the baseball..
We've always manage to find good pitchers but Have struggled to find hitters and sometimes consistent fielders.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.