RC/COVID Hot Take

1,303 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mr. Ectomy
Chrundle the Great
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Something slightly different than a normal fire RC topic to discuss. I'm seeing a lot of posts saying to the effect "COVID bought Childress one more year" and I don't think I agree.

I'm using my phone so roster/stats are hard to sort for certain, but this team lost more than it gained from last year on paper imo. We've got mostly the same offense/defense + a few JC guys and freshman (who in a small sample haven't had much of an impact), and mostly the same pitching minus Asa Lacy and Christian Roa which are huge losses. Those were our Friday/Saturday night guys getting drafted 4th and 48th respectively in the MLB draft without much in the wings to replace them. Rob has now penciled last years setup man (Miller) as the Friday night guy and that can't be considered anything but a step down from Asa, no offense to Bryce. For this team to be better than last years 1) Long time returning starters needed to go from role players to stars (doesn't happen much in college baseball) and 2) the freshmen/JC guys needed to be studs and that doesn't look like the case either.

If there was any Childress team that was going to reach up and win enough to get Rob an extension it was last years team. This one was always going to be a step back on paper so if anything COVID prevented Rob's best chance at an extension.

And no, I'm not saying Rob definitely wins a super/cws game last year if the season wasn't cancelled, just that they had better chance than this team.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Agree
twk
AG
I think what folks are saying regarding covid and the 2020 season is that 2020 was supposed to be the decision year on whether or not to extend Rob. Maybe 2020 denied him the chance to have a great season with two stud pitchers and earn an extension that would have made him safe this year, or, maybe it saved him from coming up short despite having two stud pitchers, and having Bjork pull the trigger then. We'll never know.
Aggiehunt
AG
That's an interesting take. I don't think he would have been gone after last season if COVID hadn't shut it all down, though. I think with Lacy, Roa and a couple of bats that looked promising early in the season, he would have won enough games to keep his job.

Now, he's lost his 3 best players (Lacy, Roa and DeLoach), didn't have much in the wings for pitchers to replace those 2, and is relying on a bunch of juco and older guys that never were difference makers anyways.
LB12Diamond
AG
It's been a long year but I thought last years team was not looking great out of the blocks. The tournament in Frisco we lost to both teams with a pulse. And wasn't the offense looking like garbage again?
BQ_90
AG
we're shuffling chairs on the titanic wondering if we should have upgraded to the free drink package in this thread.
LB12Diamond
AG
That's funny right there. I'm not shuffling. I'm ready for a change. Need to find someone that get all 3 phases of the game working.
Chrundle the Great
AG
I had forgotten about deloach in my op, but agreed he was a big loss that doesn't seem replaced too.
W
AG
yes, the Frisco disaster. The Ags went 0-3 in that tournament.

I tend to think the COVID bought Childress another year
Chrundle the Great
AG
That ironically Bryce carried 2/3 of the L's in. Not to keep bagging on him, but it's not a good sign for this year team that we could see coming.
Goro Majima
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Something slightly different than a normal fire RC topic to discuss. I'm seeing a lot of posts saying to the effect "COVID bought Childress one more year" and I don't think I agree.

I'm using my phone so roster/stats are hard to sort for certain, but this team lost more than it gained from last year on paper imo. We've got mostly the same offense/defense + a few JC guys and freshman (who in a small sample haven't had much of an impact), and mostly the same pitching minus Asa Lacy and Christian Roa which are huge losses. Those were our Friday/Saturday night guys getting drafted 4th and 48th respectively in the MLB draft without much in the wings to replace them. Rob has now penciled last years setup man (Miller) as the Friday night guy and that can't be considered anything but a step down from Asa, no offense to Bryce. For this team to be better than last years 1) Long time returning starters needed to go from role players to stars (doesn't happen much in college baseball) and 2) the freshmen/JC guys needed to be studs and that doesn't look like the case either.

If there was any Childress team that was going to reach up and win enough to get Rob an extension it was last years team. This one was always going to be a step back on paper so if anything COVID prevented Rob's best chance at an extension.

And no, I'm not saying Rob definitely wins a super/cws game last year if the season wasn't cancelled, just that they had better chance than this team.
They had a much better chance, agreed.

Last year they had: Lacy (the highest Aggie baseball player drafted ever), DeLoach (2nd round pick and a really good hitter) and Roa (also a 2nd round pick).
greg.w.h
AG
Covid prevented missing the tournament and impinged our revenues and changed who could return. RC lost an opportunity to earn an extension with a trip to Omaha. His contract provides him one more opportunity.

That's the impact of covid-19 as far as I know. Rob needs an extension to continue.
Mr. Ectomy
AG
I think COVID or no COVID, we have enough of a sample size to know what type of team RC brings to the table each year. And each year it's the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.