The Jimbo of baseball

3,944 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by terata
Padre_Island_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dreaded double post
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
Lance Uppercut
AG
Most of the Jimbos of baseball are locked down and harder to get to move schools. They're all in long-term, high paying contracts at schools where their situation has clearly led to their success and they won't be looking to build something new in the SEC unless it came with a significantly higher payday. It would be interesting to see what A&M did in this situation, maybe having to double the salary for a non-revenue sport.

Pat Casey is "retired", but he's been a PNW guy.

It also be interesting to see what we have available compared to when Texas did their search. They also have "resources" (or did) and interviewed everyone you've ever heard of....Mainieri, O'Sullivan, McDonnell, Schlossnagle, O'Connor....and only succeeded in getting them raises at their current schools before settling on Pierce, who had never even been to a super regional. I don't know how much extra SEC media money we have or would be willing to spend, but none of these people are underpaid.

I think what's worth recognizing is that college baseball runs through the SEC. In terms of teams

The final series of the CWS has included SEC teams in:

2008: Georgia (runner up)
2009: LSU (champs)
2010: South Carolina (champs)
2011: South Carolina (champs), Florida (runner up)
2012: South Carolina (runner up)
2013: Mississippi State (runner up)
2014: Vanderbilt (champs)
2015: Vanderbilt (runner up)
2017: Florida (champs) LSU (runner up)
2018: Arkansas (runner up)
2019: Vanderbilt (champs)

That's crazy, but the top programs a handful of those, namely Florida, Vanderbilt, Arkansas and LSU. The associate head coaches and assistants at those programs know how the best programs are run and I'm sure they'd like their own team and a pay raise that wouldn't be something like tacking 30% onto the established guys' contracts.
96ags
AG
If I were tasked with making a new hire, here are my fist 10 phone calls:

Schloss
Schloss
Schloss
Heefner
Heefner
Heefner
Heefner
Heefner
Mitch Thompson - This guy probably turns it around the quickest imo.
Matt Deggs
Rooster4Ag
AG
If we want a jimbo tier hire it's basically Tim Corbin, Casey, Tadlock, or bust. However I don't think a Jimbo hire is a necessity here. New coaches don't just sprout out of the ground, they have to build a championship team somewhere. Heefner from DBU would be a great hire imo.

My biggest fear is that we go after a guy like Bianco and upgrade from RC to a slightly better RC. No more ****ing retreads. Either we get an old stud or a young stud.
5 4
S
96ags said:

If I were tasked with making a new hire, here are my fist 10 phone calls:

Schloss
Schloss
Schloss
Heefner
Heefner
Heefner
Heefner
Heefner
Mitch Thompson - This guy probably turns it around the quickest imo.
Matt Deggs

Interesting take on Mitch Thompson. He's a friend. He took over a McLennan team and took them to the JUCO World Series in Year 1. He can recruit.

http://www.mclennanathletics.com/sports/bsb/coaches/Mitch_Thompson?view=bio

Quote:

Among the most highly respected coaches and recruiters in college baseball, Mitch Thompson is beginning his sixth year as head coach at McLennan Community College. His coaching career spans three decades and includes 23 years coaching at the NCAA Division 1 level, including 22 years in the Big 12 and Southeastern Conferences

Quote:

Coaching experience

2013-present: Head coach, McLennan Community College

2009-12: Assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator, Baylor University

1995-2009: Assistant coach/recruiting coordinator, Baylor University

1994-95: Assistant coach/defensive coordinator, Auburn University

1993-94: Volunteer assistant coach, Mississippi State University

1991-93: Assistant coach/director of baseball operations, Mississippi State University

1990-91: Assistant coach, Radford University

1989-90: Graduate assistant coach, Mississippi State University

Tex100
AG
We had a perfect storm to get Jimbo. He had issues with the FSU's commitment to football and was ready for a change of scenery, and we just happened to have an AD who knew him well.
jkag89
Honestly do not understand seeing Deggs name appearing in mention as a possible replacement for RC. IMO his track record as a head coach is limited and somewhat mixed.
96ags
AG
jkag89 said:

Honestly do not understand seeing Deggs name appearing in mention as a possible replacement for RC. IMO his track record as a head coach is limited and somewhat mixed.

That's a fair take. I think he is a good fit at UL, but time will tell. I'll also admit that I kind of route for him as well so there may be some bias.
AggieFrog
AG
Take Schloss off of that list. He's not coming here. Lateral move at best for him right now and he's single handedly built that TCU program, though the Frogs have struggled a bit the last few seasons since the '17 CWS.
powerbelly
AG
jkag89 said:

Familiarity bias.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'd be very interested to see what Rick Vanderhook (Cal State-Fullerton) and Gary Gilmore (Coastal Carolina) could do at an SEC program, but both are established at their alma-maters so hard to see them making any kind of move.

You can put Josh Holiday (Oklahoma State) in the same pile.
Raggie21
That's the kind of person I'd go after. Coach with long term success at a mid-major. We don't have the facilities or long term success to moneywhip someone the way we did Jimbo so I like the route of getting someone from a smaller school.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Interesting take on Mitch Thompson. He's a friend. He took over a McLennan team and took them to the JUCO World Series in Year 1. He can recruit.

http://www.mclennanathletics.com/sports/bsb/coaches/Mitch_Thompson?view=bio

Quote:

Among the most highly respected coaches and recruiters in college baseball, Mitch Thompson is beginning his sixth year as head coach at McLennan Community College. His coaching career spans three decades and includes 23 years coaching at the NCAA Division 1 level, including 22 years in the Big 12 and Southeastern Conferences

Quote:

Coaching experience

2013-present: Head coach, McLennan Community College

2009-12: Assistant head coach/recruiting coordinator, Baylor University

1995-2009: Assistant coach/recruiting coordinator, Baylor University

1994-95: Assistant coach/defensive coordinator, Auburn University

1993-94: Volunteer assistant coach, Mississippi State University

1991-93: Assistant coach/director of baseball operations, Mississippi State University

1990-91: Assistant coach, Radford University

1989-90: Graduate assistant coach, Mississippi State University

Jimbo was 52 when he came to A&M, and this guy is around 52/53 years old now
phantomf15c
AG
Dan Heefner would be a slam dunk. I'm biased though, he's a friend. Great coach and even better man. But trust me, he'd be hard to pry away from DBU. Laugh all you want but for those that may know the DBU program and Heef know he's really happy and he's paid a very nice salary.
twk
AG
Raggie21 said:

That's the kind of person I'd go after. Coach with long term success at a mid-major. We don't have the facilities or long term success to moneywhip someone the way we did Jimbo so I like the route of getting someone from a smaller school.
I don't want a mid-major coach with no SEC or big time experience. I don't think we will have to settle for that. There are some Power 5 coaches that can be had, even if we can't sign the guys with lots of skins on the wall.
12thMan9
AG
Ronnie '88
Clown_World
phantomf15c said:

Dan Heefner would be a slam dunk. I'm biased though, he's a friend. Great coach and even better man. But trust me, he'd be hard to pry away from DBU. Laugh all you want but for those that may know the DBU program and Heef know he's really happy and he's paid a very nice salary.

Heefner is one of the best hitting guys out there. VERY intelligent and has a great system for developing players. And yes, it's pretty well known he has an affinity for DBU and wouldn't leave for just any job. I'm sure he's turned down some good ones already...
Lance Uppercut
AG
Heefner was another one rumored to be in the Longhorn job hunt. I don't know if he was actually offered the job or interviewed.
stick93
AG
I'd take Deggs all day every day. He brings out the absolute best in his players.
BurnetAggie99
If you looking for a guy that gets the absolute best out of his players no matter if it's highly recruited guys or blue collar guys then it's Deggs. Throw in the way he runs his offense and his teams are always going to ultra aggressive and put up big numbers.

He's also a great recruiter as a lot of the guys on the A&M teams when he was here he recruited and after he left guys like SawDog and Bolt benefited from.

O'Sullivan Who turned down the tu job and a huge money offer is the Jimbo kinda hire. A&M have to make him the highest paid coach in the country, give him full control and upgrade the facilities and Olsen. It's a long shot.

Ags probably have a legit shot if they offer big money and upgrade facilities with Michigan HC Erik Bakich. He's no stranger to SEC as he was Corbin top assistant at Vandy
Sgt. Schultz
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

If you looking for a guy that gets the absolute best out of his players no matter if it's highly recruited guys or blue collar guys then it's Deggs. Throw in the way he runs his offense and his teams are always going to ultra aggressive and put up big numbers.

He's also a great recruiter as a lot of the guys on the A&M teams when he was here he recruited and after he left guys like SawDog and Bolt benefited from.

O'Sullivan Who turned down the tu job and a huge money offer is the Jimbo kinda hire. A&M have to make him the highest paid coach in the country, give him full control and upgrade the facilities and Olsen. It's a long shot.

Ags probably have a legit shot if they offer big money and upgrade facilities with Michigan HC Erik Bakich. He's no stranger to SEC as he was Corbin top assistant at Vandy
This!
I know NOTHING!!!!
W
AG
Bakich might be on the short list
Spyderman
AG
I've seen mention our talent level on this team being so good? How do we stack up against other teams? Why were/are the Ags not ranked? Lack of pitching or?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
terata
AG
"route for him"

root for him....it's the small things....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.