Aggie Baseball

5,090 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by rlb28
JohnnieBB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree the recruiting has been bad and that is Seely's fault. I don't think he evaluates kids potential very well plus, doesn't develop them into better hitters. That is needed here. I thought adding Cliff Pennington would help but, I haven't seen that as yet.

As far as hiring a new coach -- this is RC last year on contract. I would agree with not extending it if, there is an proven head coach out there that can make a difference.

I know of one out there who has proven himself however, he is not available -- Tim Tadlock @ Tex Tech!

Tim Tadlock is outstanding head coach, great teacher, great recruiter and a excellent person. I know him very well and he coached my son while at Grayson CC. I would love him to be our coach however, that is not going to happen. He is near a million at TT and loves Lubbock (?). We would have to pay him big time and I know our admin would not do that.

Been to CWS 4 times out of 8 Years. Not too bad.

Didn't have a good weekend this past weekend though, 0-3. lost to #1 Miss St 4-5, lost to #2 Arkansas 9-13, lost to #5 Miss St 5-11. TT now at # 10.

Eight of our SEC opponents are in the top 25 per D!! Look out!!!!

Nine of our SEC opponents are in Top 25, per D1.
Sterling82
I don't think firing now or soon would be a good move. But it feels like Childress checked it in when he didn't get an extension. The pitching is the worst I can remember and I'm not sure there are more than 2 or 3 that are SEC caliber. That's Childress' forte and we in a position right now where we can't hold a lead against the likes of Xavier and ACU. Childress getting canned in the second half of the season feels like a foregone conclusion though. And if what I'm seeing continues, it will be deserved.
twk
AG
Sterling82 said:

I don't think firing now or soon would be a good move. But it feels like Childress checked it in when he didn't get an extension. The pitching is the worst I can remember and I'm not sure there are more than 2 or 3 that are SEC caliber. That's Childress' forte and we in a position right now where we can't hold a lead against the likes of Xavier and ACU. Childress getting canned in the second half of the season feels like a foregone conclusion though. And if what I'm seeing continues, it will be deserved.
I think you're jumping to a hasty conclusion on the pitching. We've got some guys with potential on the pitching staff, but we don't have anyone that is up to Lacy's talent. They are off to a slow start, but there are some very good pieces there.

However, when you play sloppy defense and don't hit a lick, then your pitching is never going to be good enough.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
JohnnieBB said:

Didn't have a good weekend this past weekend though, 0-3. lost to #1 Miss St 4-5, lost to #2 Arkansas 9-13, lost to #5 Miss St 5-11. TT now at # 10.

Given their recent success a bad weekend or a bad season can be forgiven and rebounded from. Regardless, that doesn't even begin to compare to 1-3 vs. Xavier and ACU. Those teams they lost to....... all are on our conference schedule and we will be lucky to win 1 game each weekend, maybe, at best, maybe 1 game overall and go 1-8 vs. those 3 teams. All are also in our division. Throw in LSU and you see the level of play of our SEC peer programs that are closest to us. Then compare aTm baseball to the peer teams in Texas in the Big XII and again Aggie baseball under RC is not even remotely competitive.

RC is a glorified pitching coach. We could lose 3-1 with 5 errors, 0-12 with RISP, terrible ABs up and down the lineup, and he would just talk about and focus on pitching, seemingly.

I don't care about scoring 15 runs vs. the #3 starter for Xavier and the back-end of their bullpen, that means nothing.

I'm sure we'll win today and and that will make us feel a little better, better than losing anyhow. This weekend will probably end any fantasies of this team being even remotely competitive at all.

Right now we would be lucky to make a Regional as a 4 seed and go 0-2. Having said that, started the year with RC, too early to fire, but I would make a move in the 2nd half of the season to say he is not going to be renewed / he is going to retire (whatever he chooses), so we can finish the season on the field but Bjork can already be working on the next HC, officially working on it, I am assuming / hoping he is already working on it right now....

I got ripped by some in the "To the fire RC crowd" thread about "accepting mediocrity / demand excellence" BS, though I never said that. I said my expectations are higher for our baseball program than what RC has done or proven he can accomplish, though I do think by any objective measure you back RC as our baseball coach you 1000% are accepting mediocrity. Today I will just say my expectations are way f'ing higher than losing to ACU as a response to starting 1-2 vs. Xavier.......

Tex100
AG
Jock 07 said:

Just remember everyone, we could certainly do worse if we fire Childress.
I'll take that chance.
W
AG
Aaron4885 said:

pantherag said:

This team will get their **** stuffed in when they begin SEC play. It will be absolutely embarrassing. It will be a long off season waiting for football. Covid saved Ol Rob's job and it's really showing itself now. You ever wonder what a year too late looks like? Well your seeing it.

So you are saying 2017 Sumlin 2.0.
Sumlin went 7-5 in his last season with a 4-4 conference record.

not sure the 2021 baseball team is going to finish with a .500 winning % in conference play
skins74
AG
If our hitters can't handle Abilene Christian pitching, what will they look like when they see LSU or Miss State or any other SEC school??? Won't be pretty.

Warsteiner
twk said:

Sterling82 said:

I think you're jumping to a hasty conclusion on the pitching. We've got some guys with potential on the pitching staff, but we don't have anyone that is up to Lacy's talent. They are off to a slow start, but there are some very good pieces there.

However, when you play sloppy defense and don't hit a lick, then your pitching is never going to be good enough.
and that's been a problem for awhile
Sterling82
Warsteiner said:

twk said:

Sterling82 said:

and that's been a problem for awhile

To clarify, it's not the intent to say the pitchers aren't capable. But they don't look ready by any stretch. Childress has typically taken guys from average looking relievers to solid starters over the years. I'm not seeing anything close to that this year. That's why I wonder if he checked it in when he didn't get the extension. It could be pandemic issues with preparation but that wouldn't explain where we are in relation to lesser competition we've faced so far.
twk
AG
Quote:

Childress has typically taken guys from average looking relievers to solid starters over the years. I'm not seeing anything close to that this year.
That was supposed to be Bryce Miller. It may yet work out that way--we've just seen him in one start, and he looked like a young Corbin Martin in that start--throwing all gas, then losing velocity and getting more hittable as hitters zeroed in on his fastball. It took Corbin a little while to figure out how to be a starter; Bryce may well do the same, but we need him to do it this week, not somewhere down the road.
bv86ag
AG
For those saying fire Childress now i will point out that it is obvious he will not be back next year.
Bjork is just going to let him complete his contract and move on.
This team may learn a few hard lessons this year as many are young and will get destroyed in SEC play.
But maybe next year they'll at least be a year further along with some game experience to help the next coach.
Childress is done. He tried his best..but it just wasn't good enough ...especially the lack of clutch hitting his entire career here.
He is a good man and good pitching coach by all accounts.
rlb28
AG
Clown_World said:

kevmiller said:

The recruiting has gotten very bad

Seely loves the " showcase guys" guys that pay $500 to go to a single weekend showcase and put up the numbers in things that really mean nothing.
They love the guys that hit 100mph on a pull down( worthless) or hit 100 exit velo off a tee ( again worthless)

We have guys on this team that our coaching staff offered as freshman in HS and we have guys coming in next year that were offered when they were freshmen

The results we are seeing is simply because our recruiting has gotten lazy and bad.

Seems our coaching staff cares about the numbers and has lost the ability to recruit guys that know how to compete.

The fact that we offer kids before they see one single varsity pitch is very telling that we don't know And don't care if they can compete.

You left out the part where we turn our noses up at guys who would love nothing more than to play here but may not be fully developed at 15-16 years old. Colton Cowser is the prime example. Best pure hitter to come out of the Houston area the last few years and he is at Sam...
Dude is en fuego to start the season...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.