Aggie Baseball

5,094 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by rlb28
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Out of the gate, we seemed to have tripped and fallen on our face. A couple of questions:

How often do teams come back and have a good season after they start 1-3 at home against weak competition?

What is the strength of this team?

Who are the stars supposed to be?

Who are the team leaders?
Luke The Drifter
AG
Answers to your 4 questions:

Rarely, we don't have any, none, ditto.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Warsteiner
The fact is, this team is not good. At all.
Outlaw0206
AG
I feel like historically LSU starts slow and ends well, but I don't think that will be the case for us at all.
BrandoC
AG
This is what crappy recruiting has got us. That goes on your coaching staff.
6-4-3
AG
It depends on who you are playing against and how you play. It is fine to come out of the gate slow, but this squad just doesn't look very talented. These aren't good teams we are playing.
BenFiasco14
AG
Childress is done and knows it. Dead man walking. Uninspired team
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
CampingAg
AG
There aren't any dudes. Nobody on the mound or in the batters box that the opponent is scared to face.
pantherag
AG
This team will get their **** stuffed in when they begin SEC play. It will be absolutely embarrassing. It will be a long off season waiting for football. Covid saved Ol Rob's job and it's really showing itself now. You ever wonder what a year too late looks like? Well your seeing it.
aggietony2010
AG
It was clear this team didn't have much talent or fight on Saturday when Alejo (I think) got picked off first and let the 1B **** talk him and show him up on our own field.

And then we let that 1B pitch 2 innings of scoreless relief to complete the teabagging.

Is there a single positive to take from these 4 games outside of a solid relief appearance by Ornelas? Just a pitiful start to a season.
Raggie21
We don't have any stars and we don't even have concessions at the games. It's just a sad team
A-A Ron
pantherag said:

This team will get their **** stuffed in when they begin SEC play. It will be absolutely embarrassing. It will be a long off season waiting for football. Covid saved Ol Rob's job and it's really showing itself now. You ever wonder what a year too late looks like? Well your seeing it.

So you are saying 2017 Sumlin 2.0.
pantherag
AG
Aaron4885 said:

pantherag said:

So you are saying 2017 Sumlin 2.0.

Conference play could be absolutely worse!!
kevmiller
The recruiting has gotten very bad

Seely loves the " showcase guys" guys that pay $500 to go to a single weekend showcase and put up the numbers in things that really mean nothing.
They love the guys that hit 100mph on a pull down( worthless) or hit 100 exit velo off a tee ( again worthless)

We have guys on this team that our coaching staff offered as freshman in HS and we have guys coming in next year that were offered when they were freshmen

The results we are seeing is simply because our recruiting has gotten lazy and bad.

Seems our coaching staff cares about the numbers and has lost the ability to recruit guys that know how to compete.

The fact that we offer kids before they see one single varsity pitch is very telling that we don't know And don't care if they can compete.

1stGenAg01
AG
Watching the 9 games at Globe Life this past weekend was like watching CWS competition. I hate saying it, but we are going to get absolutely steam-rolled in SEC play if we don't grow up in a hurry and develop any sense of maturity and confidence compared to what's on display elsewhere. While other teams look like they're on the road to Omaha, we look like the speed bump for teams on their way to Williamsport.
Serious Lee
from a casual observer, it seems recruiting has always been the problem. would like to hear kendalls take though. guess ill go over to orangbloods and ask him.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
kevmiller said:

Seely loves the " showcase guys" guys that pay $500 to go to a single weekend showcase and put up the numbers in things that really mean nothing.
They love the guys that hit 100mph on a pull down( worthless) or hit 100 exit velo off a tee ( again worthless)

We have guys on this team that our coaching staff offered as freshman in HS and we have guys coming in next year and already committed now that are freshman in HS also.

The results we are seeing is simply because our recruiting has gotten lazy and bad.

Seems our coaching staff cares about the numbers and has lost the ability to recruit guys that know how to compete.

The fact that we offer kids before they see one single varsity pitch is a very telling that we don't know And don't care if they can compete.

I have said this for years. We need ballplayers, guys who get it done.
I know NOTHING!!!!
1stGenAg01
AG
Gap said:

Out of the gate, we seemed to have tripped and fallen on our face. A couple of questions:

How often do teams come back and have a good season after they start 1-3 at home against weak competition?

What is the strength of this team?

Who are the stars supposed to be?

Who are the team leaders?

As lackluster as opening weekend was, I still think SP is going to be the strength of this team down the road. That's the M.O. of our head coach and he's going to expect the weekend starters to carry the load. I've got confidence in all three of the starters we sent out against Xavier, and the Detmer kid too once he gets some innings under his belt.

I'd say our second biggest strength is the versatility of so many of our position players (but in the same breath, this may also be our biggest weakness too). On any given day we will have 9 of the most talented players at the park with 6-7 on the bench that arguably deserve to be on the field too. Juggling this is a tough task, and second-guessing becomes commonplace when success doesn't come early and often.

What's the solution? I don't know. In the short 4 game sample size so far, I'm led to believe that this is a team that's inclined to play to the level of their competition. I hope they prove me wrong and learn to dominate the games they're supposed to win, but I haven't seen that instinct yet, and it's going to have to emerge from the younger talent before I'm convinced.

There are no stars on this team right now. I can promise you Childress misses having the last name of a 3-hole hitter he can confidently write down each game on his lineup card as well as a leadoff hitter that he knows is gonna set the tone for the game.

He misses having a Dox or a Lacy that will guarantee you 5-7 innings of solid work and a back end of the bullpen that leaves no room for doubt that the door will be slammed shut when called upon.

Regardless, I'll be pulling for this team through thick and thin and when the weekend starts it will always be Miller-time on my watch.
Jock 07
AG
Just remember everyone, we could certainly do worse if we fire Childress.
greg.w.h
AG
Jock 07 said:

What's the plan or is this about wreaking frustration and vengeance on RC? Because that's not a plan.

There is little reason to fire him given the lack of an extension unless you want to audition someone currently in the clubhouse to see if they're like Ed O at U$C or LSU.
Clown_World
kevmiller said:

We have guys on this team that our coaching staff offered as freshman in HS and we have guys coming in next year that were offered when they were freshmen

The fact that we offer kids before they see one single varsity pitch is very telling that we don't know And don't care if they can compete.

You left out the part where we turn our noses up at guys who would love nothing more than to play here but may not be fully developed at 15-16 years old. Colton Cowser is the prime example. Best pure hitter to come out of the Houston area the last few years and he is at Sam...
Luke The Drifter
AG
Jock 07 said:

Yes, we certainly could.

But the question is, will we do better if we keep him? I'm afraid the answer to that is no.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Capitol Ag
AG
greg.w.h said:

Jock 07 said:

What's the plan or is this about wreaking frustration and vengeance on RC? Because that's not a plan.

There is little reason to fire him given the lack of an extension unless you want to audition someone currently in the clubhouse to see if they're like Ed O at U$C or LSU.
This. It still amazes me when I see people wanting to fire a HC the first week of the season. Unless as you say, there's an audition situation or a major scandal involving the HC, you let the season play out regardless. Contrary to what people think, the damage won't be catastrophic nor really matter once the new HC is announced. That's when the excitement and honeymoon period begins for the new HC and you go from there. You take your lumps now and IF the current HC can't get it done, you hope for a great hire.

Guys here were wanting Sumlin fired after UCLA too. But if we'd done that we don't have Jimbo.
Kozmozag
Need to just let it play out. Going to be a down year probably. And a new coach next year. Sucks....but covid...lol
CRM_114
Or the local kid the Cubs drafted in the second round.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Capitol Ag said:

greg.w.h said:

Jock 07 said:

This. It still amazes me when I see people wanting to fire a HC the first week of the season. Unless as you say, there's an audition situation or a major scandal involving the HC, you let the season play out regardless. Contrary to what people think, the damage won't be catastrophic nor really matter once the new HC is announced. That's when the excitement and honeymoon period begins for the new HC and you go from there. You take your lumps now and IF the current HC can't get it done, you hope for a great hire.

Guys here were wanting Sumlin fired after UCLA too. But if we'd done that we don't have Jimbo.

I agree, bad organizations fire someone after one data point. If you were going to fire RC after one week then you should have just done it last off season
Warsteiner
I don't think anyone is saying fire RC now (not seriously anyhow). His contract will not be extended at the end of the season unless a miracle happens. This team is not good.
96ags
AG
kevmiller said:

This statement needs to be read over and over again.

Stop watches and radar guns don't win baseball games.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Correct.

Banging on trash cans and having buzzers under your Jersey wins games.

I kid...I kid...

(But not really...)
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

What a chicken **** response. Yea we could do worse but we could also do a whole lot better. You've got to have balls to make changes trying to get better and yea it doesn't always work.
Dominion Caracas Branch

Quote:

But the question is, will we do better if we keep him? I'm afraid the answer to that is no.
This. A thousand times this. The question for a coach in Childress's position is will he do better not if his replacement can do worse. And Luke is right. He is what he is after a decade and a half. If you want more than what he has done so far, you need to make a change.
Capitol Ag
AG
Warsteiner said:

I don't think anyone is saying fire RC now (not seriously anyhow). His contract will not be extended at the end of the season unless a miracle happens. This team is not good.
A few on this thread have stated as much and it's been argued by a very vocal minority all weekend here and on Premium.

I think the folks on here last night arguing to fire now are just mad. I was mad too. To lose this in the 9th to such a scrub team when you needed to come in and have a statement game after this weekend is so frustrating.
rgag12
AG
We has the suck
Capitol Ag
AG
Dominion Caracas Branch said:

Quote:

This. A thousand times this. The question for a coach in Childress's position is will he do better not if his replacement can do worse. And Luke is right. He is what he is after a decade and a half. If you want more than what he has done so far, you need to make a change.
No one is arguing to keep RC after the season. That only happens IF he hits certain criteria for this season. Most likely a strong run in the playoffs and a CWS birth. You won't fire a coach who takes his team to the CWS, even if we 2 and BBQ. But if you are arguing that we fire him now? No. That's not how it works. Get through at least the first 2/3 or 3/4 of the season, then all bets are off at that point. Waiting until after the last weekend is fine too. What really matters is getting the guy you want to be the next HC. That process has nothing to do with whether you fire the current HC now or not. B/c the process of hiring goes on behind the scenes. Firing the current HC now will not get you ahead of other teams in the new coach sweepstakes. Take the Jimbo hire. Do you think that we had to fire Sumlin before we could reach out to Jimbo's people? No. We knew we had Jimbo most likely before Sumlin was let go.
Dominion Caracas Branch
I'm not arguing about firing him now. I am just saying Luke has a great point. If you want the program to have a chance to be better you make a change because you know it won't do any better under current leadership. It is a great point to the well it could be worse crowd. It is more about do you want the program to be better. If so you have to take the risk, as Childress won't do any better.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.