Donating to the Baseball Program

1,541 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bocephus
Lance Uppercut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had it explained to me before, but I know the internet will know more than me on this one.

If you make a donation to athletics, it can't go to a specific sport, correct? They take the donation and add it to the pile then spread it across sports by some percentage of their required budget evenly?

Does the Dugout Club have funds that go directly to baseball? If so, is there a limit on the amount of money that can attained by the Dugout Club? It seems like I used to see more about the club, but not as much recently. I heard a lot of the benefit of it was being local enough to attend events, but I don't know if they do those anymore or if they still do the jacket or anything else that goes with it.

Can the school earmark money for projects instead? Could the athletic department say "we are opening a project to build bleachers outside of Olsen" for example and then start taking donations for that directly, or is there still something about how money would have to be spread around the athletic department?

I've heard our baseball team is pretty close to even or slightly profitable. Does anyone have an idea what the annual budget is for the baseball program recently?

There is also the debate about what scholarships are available at other schools for baseball, depending on if they're public or private. Can A&M say "we are creating a baseball athletic/academic scholarship program" and start collecting directly for that to supplement the partial athletic scholarships? Or would the money have to be split across other sports scholarships as well?

And finally, I'm assuming any money that comes in from the new SEC media deal would be split across sports as well correct? We couldn't take a chunk out for baseball to build a lazy river around the outfield or anything?
Leander - Ag
AG
Not sure about the Dugout club this year. If it still exists they are doing a poor job of making it visible.

I know you can donate to the 12th man and request funds go to a specific program
BQ_90
AG
Leander - Ag said:

Not sure about the Dugout club this year. If it still exists they are doing a poor job of making it visible.

I know you can donate to the 12th man and request funds go to a specific program
If,you where member in 2020 the cancelled all the events after the first lunch and I think you could ask for your money back.

I didn't. This year they basically cancelled it because of covid restrictions on the players attending the lunches

The dugout club money is used by the program to support the players paint a thon. Also I think to make little upgrades here and there if they need something. Most of the money was going to pay for crap levy lunches. Last year the first one they had at the rec center so they could get away from levy.

The can use the sec money how they want. I'm sure that paid for the temp bleachers. Normally any major facility upgrades they do it with donor money up front before they start construction.

I've never done it but many say you can earmark your donation. Not sure what that means though if you say for baseball only. Does that pay salaries, balls, or light bill for Olsen. Never had that explained
AgFlyGuy
AG
I made a donation in December when they were advertising 2 for 1 priority points and selected baseball for the recipient.
twk
AG
Unless you are making a donation to a capital improvement campaign, or there are enough folks also making restricted gifts to baseball to be really signficant, then labelling your gift as restricted to baseball really doesn't mean much. For example, they aren't going to go in and raise the baseball budget by $1,000 if I make a $1,000 gift restricted for baseball. Dugout Club may be a little bit different, in that I think they let the baseball program spend whatever money that effort raises, but for gifts to the general fund, I don't think the restriction really is significant.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

There is also the debate about what scholarships are available at other schools for baseball, depending on if they're public or private. Can A&M say "we are creating a baseball athletic/academic scholarship program" and start collecting directly for that to supplement the partial athletic scholarships? Or would the money have to be split across other sports scholarships as well?

A&M can't really do that. Such a scholarship would have to count towards the team's scholarships limits as it would be partially based on being an athlete.

I don't know at what point you can earmark your donations, but unless they weren't already fully funding baseball scholarships, this wouldn't help then give more scholarships to baseball players.
Bondag
AG
I will say the jacket they gave out is almost warm enough to wear to spring baseball games at Olsen.

I have worn it to Kyle many times and received a lot of compliments on it.

Aggieangler93
AG
I have donated for a handful of years prior to this one, and always earmarked mine for baseball. I am not sure exactly how the money is used, but I prefer any little bit I can give to go to a program that is severely underfunded in my mind. You have to make a separate donation from your 12th man general fund fee it costs you to be a member. This was confusing to me the first year.

Personally, I am not the least bit interested in the showboats over on the football field, so really don't want a nickel of my money going there, when I can help it. I know they probably use all the general fund donation for that. It is what it is. Last year was the first year in a while that 12th man, in specific, didn't get a dime from me. It may take a half decade for me to get over the things that pissed me off.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Bocephus
AG
They stopped doing the jacket last year.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Leander - Ag
AG
Bocephus said:

The jackets were awesome
Bocephus
AG
Leander - Ag said:

Bocephus said:

The jackets were awesome

One of mine got stolen from a bar in the Colony.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.