The beginning of the end..

4,428 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aggies2009
fightintxaggie10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A buddy of mine who is high up in the BMA world has let me know Childress is getting canned after this season, and were prepared to make a big time hire for A&M baseball.
Aggie
AG
I don't know if Childress is going to be here next year or not.

But I'd be pretty confident in saying that decision has not been made at this point.

Yes today sucked... it's the first day of the season.
Nothing about RC future was decided today
Luke The Drifter
AG
It is very telling that Childress is in the final year of his contact, but did not receive an extension in the off season. RC has lived through 4 athletic directors, which is a minor miracle.

I know today was just one day and crazy things like this happen in baseball, but there are countless signs pointing to this being a "win BIG or you're fired" season for Childress.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
SchizoAg
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

It is very telling that Childress is in the final year of his contact, but did not receive an extension in the off season. RC has lived through 4 athletic directors, which is a minor miracle.

I know today was just one day and crazy things like this happen in baseball, but there are countless signs pointing to this being a "win BIG or you're fired" season for Childress.
Countless, really? You only gave one. What are some others?
moriarty90
AG
SchizoAg said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Your serious ,, your defending RC ? I thought it was only local media who thinks RC is to nice a guy to fire and even one person said he was the "smartest guy he ever met in terms of baseball knowledge" but I guess other are trying to say it was the bad weather or not enough time for bunting practice I guess.
Goro Majima
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

A buddy of mine who is high up in the BMA world has let me know Childress is getting canned after this season, and were prepared to make a big time hire for A&M baseball.
I mean, he's in the last year of his contract and hasn't been extended. The writing is there and clear as day.

But I don't think it'll be so much as a firing but a "mutual" parting of ways.
LB12Diamond
AG
Not surprised at all by this info. Pandemic was only reason he was not let go last year.

I have watched several of our current 2022 commitments the last two years. Very average many of them and when they committed, I was like; really, there are guys better than him on his summer league team. All I had was probably no scholarship.
aginlakeway
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

So he is fired this year no matter where we end up?
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Mike Elko
AG
His contract ends after this season, so it's impossible for him to get "canned"... He merely won't be offered a new contract/extension. Nice dramatic effect, though.
jja79
AG
The beginning of the end was well before yesterday.
Houstonag
AG
A classic example of why I have been disappointed in TAMU management for years.
We do not act soon enough when it comes to poor coaching, administration, etc. Childress has been a below par for years and nothing happens. It starts with recruiting , coaching, assistants, facilities, etc. We are just too nice trying to deal with poor performance. If it had not been for some very local and persistent Ags we would still have Young as President. A true disaster.
jmcfar_98
AG
Houstonag said:

We do not act soon enough when it comes to poor coaching, administration, etc. Childress has been a below par for years and nothing happens. It starts with recruiting , coaching, assistants, facilities, etc. We are just too nice trying to deal with poor performance. If it had not been for some very local and persistent Ags we would still have Young as President. A true disaster.

Reno Hightower
Only 2 games in and the offense is eerily familiar. Maybe today will be better? Maybe?
Rick Flex
AG
I would like to think yesterday was the UCLA game for RC, but it's been in the works since last year.
rgag12
AG
Dang can we cancel this season too
12thmanfootball
AG
How bout giving the Vandy coach double what he is making in Nashville!!!!
pantherag
AG
He gone and the end can't get here soon enough.
jkag89
rgag12 said:

Eff that. I've lived through seasons of horrid Aggie baseball, Even such seasons were infinitely better than no Aggie baseball.
aginlakeway
AG
rgag12 said:

Why? Any Agggoe baseball is better than no Aggie baseball.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
jkag89
12thmanfootball said:

How bout giving the Vandy coach double what he is making in Nashville!!!!
You think nobody has tried to lure Corbin away from Vandy? It has been almost ten seasons since any big name baseball coach has been money whipped to a new job. Where is the money going to come from with a year + of low revenue due to COVID19? If this is RC's last season at the helm, I will be shocked (but pleasantly surprised) it we see either Corbin, Sully, McDonnell, Schlossnagle. Tadlock, etc. in home dugout at Olsen next season.
Leander - Ag
AG
Two years too late
Luke The Drifter
AG
SchizoAg said:

Luke The Drifter said:

1. The contract thing.

2. Recruiting has fallen off big time.

3. Stud players know if you're not a pitcher, you're not making it to the majors by playing at A&M.

4. The big baseball donors are not happy - when the money stops coming in, changes will be made.

Just to name a few...
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
buppy
Bye regional rob
aggietony2010
AG
COVID unemployed a lot of people...

We just need to be sure to add a few back for Rob and his crew when calculating the final tally. That's the only reason he's still here.
twk
AG
Houstonag said:

If you'd told me in 2006 that Rob would be here 16 years with one Omaha trip, I wouldn't have believed it, because programs usually have ups and downs and without enough "ups" to offset the "downs," you usually find a reason to make a change. Rob's case is rather unique as we just haven't seen someone plateau at the NCAA tournament level (never missing it, but not making noise at Omaha) . Not firing the coach with that unique record doesn't say much about A&M management style.
TAMU1990
AG
Rick Flex said:

I would like to think yesterday was the UCLA game for RC, but it's been in the works since last year.
I had the same thought sitting in Olsen yesterday. 16 K's, 4 errors, and walks gifted by the other team and you still lose?
BQ_90
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

SchizoAg said:

Luke The Drifter said:

1. The contract thing.

2. Recruiting has fallen off big time.

3. Stud players know if you're not a pitcher, you're not making it to the majors by playing at A&M.

4. The big baseball donors are not happy - when the money stops coming in, changes will be made.

Just to name a few...
That is the biggest reason why BBP hasn't been expanded. The donors aren't there right now to support the project. My guess is you'll see the temp bleachers there until the donors come back to the program and willing to pay for permanent seats
p-wonk01
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

His contract ends after this season, so it's impossible for him to get "canned"... He merely won't be offered a new contract/extension. Nice dramatic effect, though.

Same thing
75AG
AG
Who is a "big time" college baseball hire?
W
AG
another way a separation make sense...

this is the first time in the Childress era...that A&M has lost a weekend non-conference series at home to a midwest/northeast mid-major team.

that's the kind of thing that happens in a coach's final year.

the program is at a very low ebb
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

another way a separation make sense...

this is the first time in the Childress era...that A&M has lost a weekend non-conference series at home to a midwest/northeast mid-major team.

that's the kind of thing that happens in a coach's final year.

the program is at a very low ebb

I'm sure it happened before Childress arrived, but I'm having a hard time recalling it happening at any point since I've been following Aggie baseball (late 70's - present).
Luke The Drifter
AG
In 2002, we went 2-4 in the old Continental Classic tourney at Olsen. 2-0 vs. Kentucky, 0-2 vs. Washington State, 0-2 vs. Pepperdine. Not the same as losing a non-conference, early season series, but looking back on the A&M athletics website, that's as close as I could find.
HoustonAg2106
AG
It's not fair to bury RC after 2 games. I'm confident this is his last year in maroon and white, but at least give him a chance to let the season play out and see if he can work it out. Worse case scenario we get a fresh start next year
ironmanag
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

It's not fair to bury RC after 2 games. I'm confident this is his last year in maroon and white, but at least give him a chance to let the season play out and see if he can work it out. Worse case scenario we get a fresh start next year

No it's fair to bury Rob after 15 years
aginlakeway
AG
ironmanag said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

No it's fair to bury Rob after 15 years

OK. So don't let him finish the season? That was the point of the post.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.