To the Fire RC crowd

16,073 Views | 187 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by greg.w.h
A-A Ron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll start by saying I'm not defending Sumlin, Kennedy, or RC.

In the last few years we have fired 2 of the 3 major men's sports team coaches. For football Jimbo has obviously been an upgrade as not only is the teams level of play but recruiting is trending upward and building towards a MNC.

In basketball so far while we finished strong towards the end of the season before it was shut down, this years team looks totally lost and taken a step back from the team at the end of last year and seems to be trending downward from the previous coach. Now it seems like we will use what we can to postpone games to not get whipped.

In my opinion so far we are 1-1 in men's coaching hires. So I ask this: I know the complaints with RC are can't win in Omaha, his team's aren't developed hitters, decent pitching but no offense to back them up. Who out there do you believe is a Jimbo type upgrade? A coach of a D1 winning program that has "won in omaha" that is in a Jimbo at FSU situation of looking for a program that is willing to throw money behind it and we can money whip them to coach here "because we have the facilities of a MNC program" without the wins?

Not looking to argue just curious of coaches names yall think we could go after.
jja79
AG
I don't have a name for you but we know RC can't do it. If we make a change and it doesn't work are we worse off?
JDay
Tony Vitello. Should have pulled the trigger last year during Covid while no one was watching. He is now going to be very expensive. Dude can recruit Texas and has done so for well over a decade. He has done a really good job at Tennessee in his first head coaching opportunity. Hopefully Bjork is doing his homework.
histag10
AG
jja79 said:

I don't have a name for you but we know RC can't do it. If we make a change and it doesn't work are we worse off?

Very possibly. As it is, many teams finish way worse than us each year, meaning many coaches have way worse records than RC
Harry Stone
AG
htf can anyone want this guy as our coach. he's not terrible but he is not great either.
Aggiehunt
AG
This is one of those situations where we know what we've got. Rob has been to Omaha twice and won no games there in 15 years. We get the same thing every year. We're promised elite pitching (it's always decent but not elite), we struggle hard at the plate, and have average defense.

A change absolutely needs to be made. Nothing is going to get better under Rob. In fact, things seem to be regressing in recent years. We need to trust our administration to go out and find someone who isn't going to fill the roster with kids from Nebraska and junior colleges, and who can actually develop hitters.
I already have a dog
AG
histag10 said:

jja79 said:

Very possibly. As it is, many teams finish way worse than us each year, meaning many coaches have way worse records than RC

Very true but to quote Herm Edward's. "You play to win the game!" It's early, I hope it happens, but short of a run in the CWS you have to roll the dice after the season.
A-A Ron
histag10 said:

jja79 said:

Agreed, as I referenced basketball above, if the teams play gets worse than what we have, recruiting will suffer and put us in a bigger hole to get out of to be competitive, amongst teams in state, in our conference, and nationally. I feel like this as we did for football, the hire can't just be "anybody". Someone that can take us to the next level like Jimbo has done.
Captain Pablo
AG
Aaron4885 said:

histag10 said:

jja79 said:

Agreed, as I referenced basketball above, if the teams play gets worse than what we have, recruiting will suffer and put us in a bigger hole to get out of to be competitive, amongst teams in state, in our conference, and nationally. I feel like this as we did for football, the hire can't just be "anybody". Someone that can take us to the next level like Jimbo has done.

You need to be asking Ross Bjork these questions

Or just don't worry about it. Let Ross do his job and see how it goes.

Jock 07
AG
The blind loyalty to Childress is absolutely mind blowing. The amount of folks on here who defend him no matter how much the teams underperform year after year boggles the mind. It's sad how so many have lost interest in A&M baseball over the years
fieldtrailer
AG
Comparing 15 year coach to a coach in 2nd year that included cutting both years short due to a pandemic and 100 year winter storm. Seems fair.
kevmiller
histag10 said:

jja79 said:

Who finishes " way worse" than us that has so many ingredients in place for a top tier baseball program?? ..and has had those ingredients in place for some time

How many coaches out there could deliver the same level results RC and staff are??? at least 100..200..500

seriously. IMO you would have to be pretty bad to deliver worse
histag10
AG
Jock 07 said:

The blind loyalty to Childress is absolutely mind blowing. The amount of folks on here who defend him no matter how much the teams underperform year after year boggles the mind. It's sad how so many have lost interest in A&M baseball over the years

I just want to clarify- im not defending RC. But to say "it cant be any worse" is wholly false.
Rooster4Ag
AG
Not even going to bother reading OP. RC needs to go, I don't care if we replace him with Fran and wander the desert. We need to at least try and compete.
What have ye done to surpass man?
W
AG
it also seems like aggie baseball fans have it stuck in their heads...that every baseball coach must be given 10 to 15 to 20 years to prove themselves.

if a new coach takes over in 2022...and in 4 or 5 years he hasn't progressed the program beyond what Childress did...then you go on to the next one.

you don't have to keep him if you don't like the results
Rooster4Ag
AG
We're too ****ing nice. Every coach that's been here gets to man the helm for a decade. Just about every coach that's been hired since the late 90's was here several years too long.
What have ye done to surpass man?
histag10
AG
Roster4Ag said:

We're too ****ing nice. Every coach that's been here gets to man the helm for a decade. Just about every coach that's been hired since the late 90's was here several years too long.

Sooo.... 2? Johnson coached from 85-05 and childress has been at the helm since. I dont see how "late 90s" really plays into that either...
Capitol Ag
AG
Aaron4885 said:

In the last few years we have fired 2 of the 3 major men's sports team coaches. For football Jimbo has obviously been an upgrade as not only is the teams level of play but recruiting is trending upward and building towards a MNC.

In basketball so far while we finished strong towards the end of the season before it was shut down, this years team looks totally lost and taken a step back from the team at the end of last year and seems to be trending downward from the previous coach. Now it seems like we will use what we can to postpone games to not get whipped.

In my opinion so far we are 1-1 in men's coaching hires. So I ask this: I know the complaints with RC are can't win in Omaha, his team's aren't developed hitters, decent pitching but no offense to back them up. Who out there do you believe is a Jimbo type upgrade? A coach of a D1 winning program that has "won in omaha" that is in a Jimbo at FSU situation of looking for a program that is willing to throw money behind it and we can money whip them to coach here "because we have the facilities of a MNC program" without the wins?

Not looking to argue just curious of coaches names yall think we could go after.

Basketball hire is still way early to label it a failure as you seem to be doing by eluding to with Buzz. Jimbo was a fantastic hire. We don't know yet about Buzz. Covid hasn't helped. And the basketball team isn't dodging or purposely postponing games.

As to Rob, he's my coach until the end of the season when the powers that be will make a decision one way or the other. And I'll be rooting for us to have an easy one with a new contract after a great run in Omaha. Yes, they looked far from that today, but it's baseball and it's a long season. These threads honestly do no good.
Goro Majima
AG
W said:

it also seems like aggie baseball fans have it stuck in their heads...that every baseball coach must be given 10 to 15 to 20 years to prove themselves.

if a new coach takes over in 2022...and in 4 or 5 years he hasn't progressed the program beyond what Childress did...then you go on to the next one.

you don't have to keep him if you don't like the results
A new coach in any sport should get 4-5 years. That's it.
LB12Diamond
AG
I think he would have been let go last year but the pandemic saved him. No such luck this year and I will be surprised if we do not have a new coach following the season.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I agree that the athletic director should be allowed to do their job. From all we've been told, this hasn't been the case in my lifetime leading up to the Bjork hire. We've heard of their being benefactors and "camps" of support in favor of coaches in the revenue sports for football with Sherman and Sumlin, and with basketball and Kennedy.

It's my opinion that the athletic directoring should be left to the athletic director....give them the funds to compete and get out of the way. The old Florida AD had a standard of around 3 years to set up your team, and if you had 2 bad years in a row after that he was likely looking in a new direction.

It's not about fans being too nice or blind loyalty to a coach. It's about an athletic department doing their job. There are some very devoted fans, but I haven't seen a single post in the Childress era where someone declared they're a Childress fan instead of an Aggie baseball fan or that they would stop supporting the team if there was a coaching change. There's not even a group that argues that there's no one else that could have done better here or that no one else should coach the team until Childress decides to retire.

The finger pointing at other fans for being positive or too nice, or trying to support the baseball team or the accomplishments of prior teams and players as being part of the problem is one of the most over-the-top ridiculous things that gets repeated on here annually. None of those people are in control of who coaches the baseball team, they just don't like complaining on the internet as much as the people who have decided a daily Childress insult means they have the market cornered on the concept of winning being better than losing.

The athletic department was broke when Childress was hired (taking out loans from the school they later pretended they didn't know they needed to pay back). The facade and two hills were completed in large part because of funds from Blue Bell for the naming rights. They haven't made moves since, either because they didn't deem it a priority or because they don't have any set of funds that influences making a move....not because of internet fans that wouldn't light a torch and old people who need something to do on Sunday afternoons. We haven't been "baseball rich" until right about now.
Grinder
Grinder
ratfacemcdougal
A complete derail from OP's question....

WHO WOULD YOU HIRE ?

Only one poster provided an answer and I am not informed enough to have an opinion.
tjack16
AG
Heefner from DBU is who I'd go after first. He's consistently had them in the tournament since 2008, and he's relatively on the younger side of coaching in his early 40s.

He's made Dallas Baptist into one of the more consistent programs in the state, and I imagine he could recruit even more talent if he were here at A&M

If you can't get him, Greg Lovelady at UCF would be good or Nate Yeskie the pitching coach at Arizona (was at Oregon state for a while)
TMartin
You only have to go see Aggie baseball at the Shriner's College Classic at Minute Maid, or games against Rice at Reckling Park, to know how much Ags support the team. Every good AD is responsible for developing and maintaining a list of potential coaching candidates for all sports.
Leander - Ag
AG
If you want to always finish middle of the pack. RC is 100% your guy.

15yrs of data to validate
MaxPower
Aggiehunt said:

This is one of those situations where we know what we've got. Rob has been to Omaha twice and won no games there in 15 years. We get the same thing every year. We're promised elite pitching (it's always decent but not elite), we struggle hard at the plate, and have average defense.

A change absolutely needs to be made. Nothing is going to get better under Rob. In fact, things seem to be regressing in recent years. We need to trust our administration to go out and find someone who isn't going to fill the roster with kids from Nebraska and junior colleges, and who can actually develop hitters.
Sadly 2 in 15 years is good if you look at our history. I do agree it's time for a change though. The program has gotten stale.
twk
AG
jja79 said:

If you're a front runner who only follows baseball when the team makes it to Omaha, I suppose it would seem that we couldn't do worse than Childress. For folks who actually follow baseball all the time, yes, we could in fact do worse. Hopefully, that's not what happens, but it is a distinct possibility.

In the Childress discussion, you're going to see folks make some good points, and then you're going to see some really poor arguments. The argument that we couldn't do worse than Childress clearly falls in the latter category.
Aston04
AG
Aaron4885 said:

It's laughable you already writing off Buzz. He has a proven track record of success, but since we've hit a couple bumps in a program BK left empty, you are saying it wasn't a good hire.

And I guarantee you the Covid stuff is not Buzz's choice. He is as big of competitor as you will find. The year before he had his team arguably the hottest team in the SEC when heading into the SEC tourney. Was shutting that tournament down part of the plan too?

Buzz was/is an incredible hire. By next year, the culture in the room will have been transformed and he will have enough talent to compete. I'll be enjoying the ride. You will be still pretending we should have hung on to a coach that in the marketplace is only valued as an assistant at this point (a directional Louisiana school turned down hiring BK last year).
2nd Generation Ag
Some people always worry we can do worse. Usually those are older Ags who don't understand how powerful the Aggie brand is today compared to years ago. We are considered one of the best athletic programs in the country. We will go get a proven guy that has done it. There is no question the guy we get will be better than Childress
EO718
Foxo
AG
It is our job to complain loudly and about everything. Take away the fire the coach posts and what would we have?

I was never a baseball fan. Once I was at a football game and a stranger asked me if I followed Aggie baseball and he proceeded to talk 15 minutes non-stop about how horrible our baseball program was. That made me decide to judge for myself.
jja79
AG
Is following since Doug Rau long enough? We are never winning the CWS and probably not the SEC with RC. How anyone could think we would is beyond me. If the next guy doesn't do it either are we worse? Maybe the next guy has a worse record. Then to the next. Is the goal to win or just not be terrible? The talent isn't there. It's not going to be there. For whatever reason he can't get enough offense.
aggietony2010
AG
We could definitely make a hire that ends up worse than Childress. We might not get a sure thing hire like Fisher, but I think most of us (and we really don't matter) are ready to take that risk.
powerbelly
AG
twk said:

jja79 said:

If you're a front runner who only follows baseball when the team makes it to Omaha, I suppose it would seem that we couldn't do worse than Childress. For folks who actually follow baseball all the time, yes, we could in fact do worse. Hopefully, that's not what happens, but it is a distinct possibility.

In the Childress discussion, you're going to see folks make some good points, and then you're going to see some really poor arguments. The argument that we couldn't do worse than Childress clearly falls in the latter category.

The fear of failure is not a reason to stick with someone who has shown they cant win at the highest level.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.