Big 10 cancels all non-conference baseball games

3,381 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Luke The Drifter
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can we all just stop pretending that northern schools give a damn about baseball? No more talk about adjusting the schedule to help them or moving more regionals into that area. They simply don't care.

Sandman98
AG
The victims are mid-majors that no longer have P5 opponents on their schedule. I hope they can hang on but this doesn't help.
BQ_90
AG
if new administration gets their 4-6 week shutdown, nothing will get played, MBB, Baseball, etc.
Aggieoliver
AG
So it looks like the Round Rock Classic is back down to 4 teams now with Purdue out.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Good thing they picked us up, then!
Also, they were going to announce another team, so they may have five after all.
W
AG
it's going to be another challenging year for college baseball
Belton Ag
AG
I can easily see the Big 10 cancelling all winter and spring sports fairly soon. If they don't do it soon, their contact tracing and quarantine rules will derail the basketball season and cause the cancellation of the spring sports.
W
AG
you know looking back...what a brilliant decision by Wisconsin (back in the summertime) to tell their spring sports seniors...thanks for the memories. (i.e. scholarships are complete)

have to think many other schools will follow suit. Can't have 5 or 6 classes on scholarship in the minor sports
Luke The Drifter
AG
The Ivy League hasn't cancelled baseball season yet, but they did delay the start of the spring season 'til at least March 1. So even if they do play baseball this spring, it may be conference games only.

Ivy League Scheduling
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
BQ_90
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

The Ivy League hasn't cancelled baseball season yet, but they did delay the start of the spring season 'til at least March 1. So even if they do play baseball this spring, it may be conference games only.

Ivy League Scheduling
odd they'd cancel MBB but not baseball. But they got plenty of time do that I guess.
twk
AG
BQ_90 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Ivy League Scheduling
odd they'd cancel MBB but not baseball. But they got plenty of time do that I guess.
Basketball is played indoors. That is a huge difference, although I'm unaware of anyone contracting covid from actual basketball competition (there is one story out there about a super spreader event from an amateur hockey game, but that's about it as far as sports competitions--as opposed to travel and locker rooms--resulting in spread).
Luke The Drifter
AG
The NCAA breaks down sports into 3 categories - fall, winter, and spring. The winter sports are the ones that make the leap from the fall to the spring semesters, most notably men's and women's basketball. The Ivy has now hammered fall and winter sports, and you have to know they're on the cusp of hammering the spring sports, too.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
agswin1988
AG
I just dont understand especially now with 2 major companies saying that they have vaccines within the next couple weeks and 100 million by end of this year and over a billion going into early spring, why we are still having these discussions?

If we have vaccines what are we worried about? The Dems got their president, why shut down.
EMY92
AG
Belton Ag said:

I can easily see the Big 10 cancelling all winter and spring sports fairly soon. If they don't do it soon, their contact tracing and quarantine rules will derail the basketball season and cause the cancellation of the spring sports.

They'll play basketball, too much money lost not to.

Non revenue sports may be canceled.
Belton Ag
AG
EMY92 said:

Belton Ag said:

I used to think this, but they were drug kicking and screaming into the football season which is an even bigger money maker than basketball. The Big 10 presidents DO NOT want to play sports of any kind and will use the current wave of cases as an excuse to shut it down. Even if they do play, the season will absolutely be derailed by their contact tracing and quarantine rules.

There will have to be some major changes in policy for them to complete a basketball season.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Belton Ag said:

EMY92 said:

Belton Ag said:

I used to think this, but they were drug kicking and screaming into the football season which is an even bigger money maker than basketball. The Big 10 presidents DO NOT want to play sports of any kind and will use the current wave of cases as an excuse to shut it down. Even if they do play, the season will absolutely be derailed by their contact tracing and quarantine rules.

There will have to be some major changes in policy for them to complete a basketball season.

I don't know about that. While I would agree with the sentiment, I will say it's much easier to keep track of 15-ish basketball players and 10 coaches/trainers than it is 85 football players and 25 coaches/trainers. I just a sheer numbers game, it seems like basketball Covid is easier to keep in check than football Covid.

W
AG
and it should be easier to reschedule games during the week.

teams frequently play 3 games in 3 days in conference hoop tournaments
twk
AG
Quote:

I don't know about that. While I would agree with the sentiment, I will say it's much easier to keep track of 15-ish basketball players and 10 coaches/trainers than it is 85 football players and 25 coaches/trainers. I just a sheer numbers game, it seems like basketball Covid is easier to keep in check than football Covid.
The other thing that schools have going for them in basketball is that, with everyone knocking off at Thanksgiving, the teams will be on campus without other students for a couple of months. Of course, the flip side to this is that, just when things really start heating up competition-wise, the students will come back, right at the height of flu season (maybe we'll be lucky and the current wave will crest and fall independently of the flu).
91AggieLawyer
AG
Sandman98 said:

The victims are mid-majors that no longer have P5 opponents on their schedule. I hope they can hang on but this doesn't help.
Does the Big 10 actually have decent payouts for MAC and other similar schools like we would for a northern school early in the year? Remember, this isn't football.
ptothemo
AG
I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect that the comment had to do with scheduling - namely SOS and RPI - and not financial considerations.
West Point Aggie
AG
EMY92 said:

Belton Ag said:

So it isn't about the health and welfare of its student-athletes but rather revenue is the driver...gotcha!
Luke The Drifter
AG
West Point Aggie said:

EMY92 said:

Belton Ag said:

So it isn't about the health and welfare of its student-athletes but rather revenue is the driver...gotcha!

Why do you think we're playing football this fall?

Sandman98
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Sandman98 said:

Does the Big 10 actually have decent payouts for MAC and other similar schools like we would for a northern school early in the year? Remember, this isn't football.

I'm not talking about payouts. I'm talking about overall energy around non-rev sports at smaller schools. Covid slashed programs before the threat of a limited and uninspiring schedule. I don't think a lot of schools need an excuse as big as Covid to scrap programs.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Sandman98 said:

I'm not talking about payouts. I'm talking about overall energy around non-rev sports at smaller schools. Covid slashed programs before the threat of a limited and uninspiring schedule. I don't think a lot of schools need an excuse as big as Covid to scrap programs.

I think there was a thread about this on this board back in April/May. Before we truly knew the Covid impacts, there was speculation several schools would use Covid as an "excuse" to eliminate some non-revenue sports. Several schools dropped various sports immediately, but I do believe we will see the elimination of golf, swimming, wrestling, and track type programs in the months to come. Most of these cuts will come on the men's side, allowing the schools to stay within Title IX compliance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.