Big 10 moving football proves why baseball shouldn't cater to northern teams

1,339 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MaroonMack
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the Big 10 potentially moving football is just further justification why adjusting the College baseball season to cater to northern schools is a bad idea.

They simply don't value the sport.
twk
AG
96ags said:

I think the Big 10 potentially moving football is just further justification why adjusting the College baseball season to cater to northern schools is a bad idea.

They simply don't value the sport.
Big 10 probably isn't playing any sports this school year. Not playing football in the Fall means you also aren't playing basketball in the Fall, unless you want to look like complete hypocrites by playing an indoor sport that presents a greater risk of spreading covid during competition and practice than football. If they don't play football or basketball in the Fall, odds are that nothing gets played.
W
AG
yes, if a Big 10 player can find a school down south to transfer too...they should go. As the league is probably not playing a spring 2021 season either
MaroonMack
It wouldn't hurt anything to move the start of the season back a week or two. As many here have noted, Olsen can feel mighty cold at times.
96ags
AG
MaroonMack said:

It wouldn't hurt anything to move the start of the season back a week or two. As many here have noted, Olsen can feel mighty cold at times.
Except that it would move the last two conference series (often two very important series) to a date AFTER students leave campus.

College baseball is better with students in the stands. Why would anyone want to exclude them?
twk
AG
MaroonMack said:

I don't know who we have on the schedule for non-conference games, but I'd be shocked if at least one of our previously panned non-conference opponents does not play baseball this year. I think a lot of the smaller schools are going to close down sports altogether for the year as they can't get by without football revenue, especially with the cost of doing testing on a regular basis. Given that, I expect a shorter season--maybe all conference games.
MaroonMack
96ags said:

MaroonMack said:

Except that it would move the last two conference series (often two very important series) to a date AFTER students leave campus.

College baseball is better with students in the stands. Why would anyone want to exclude them?
Just because the SEC plays all 10 conference series in a row after non-conference is done, doesn't mean it always has to be that way. Maybe start the conference schedule a week earlier and play one of those weekends against a BDF, AAC or CUSA team. If there were a weekend with conference games where a few more seats were available in the upper deck (because of fewer students), it might encourage some folks who don't want to sit on the grass to attend. And there will be some students around who go to the game.

As far as the other schools, Arkansas, State and LSU fill probably fill up any seats for a conference weekend when it's not cold regardless of whether the students are there.

96ags
AG
MaroonMack said:

96ags said:

MaroonMack said:

Just because the SEC plays all 10 conference series in a row after non-conference is done, doesn't mean it always has to be that way. Maybe start the conference schedule a week earlier and play one of those weekends against a BDF, AAC or CUSA team. If there were a weekend with conference games where a few more seats were available in the upper deck (because of fewer students), it might encourage some folks who don't want to sit on the grass to attend. And there will be some students around who go to the game.

As far as the other schools, Arkansas, State and LSU fill probably fill up any seats for a conference weekend when it's not cold regardless of whether the students are there.

But the environment would be completely different. There is no reason to try and REDUCE student attendance.
W
AG
the 2021 season...could be Rob's scheduling magnus opus with 41 home games.

I like it
W
AG
speaking of the 2021 season...with the NCAA's financial crunch and some schools probably not playing baseball...

it may be time to go back to a 48-team regional field for 1 year. Maybe just 32 or 40 teams even.

to save on the travel costs
Aggie
AG
MaroonMack said:

I've been at games in Olsen in February and it's 80 degrees and I've been at games at Olsen in April and it's 40 degrees.

It will never be perfect... there is no reason to move the start of the college baseball season back.
twk
AG
96ags said:

MaroonMack said:

There's also the fact that weather becomes a negative, as in too hot, very quickly once you get into June. Yes, people will suffer through the heat for post-season baseball, but just as many folks would skip a Sunday afternoon game against Missouri, when it's 98 degrees and 90% humidity in early June, as would skip a Sunday afternoon game against Missouri when it's 50 degrees with a 20 mph north wind in March.
ensign_beedrill
AG
And you're removing the nice-weather days and replacing them with nasty hot days. Come on. Sure sometimes it's cold in February, but usually it's still nice enough to go to a game and be comfortable. Not so in June.
MaroonMack
twk said:

There's also the fact that weather becomes a negative, as in too hot, very quickly once you get into June. Yes, people will suffer through the heat for post-season baseball, but just as many folks would skip a Sunday afternoon game against Missouri, when it's 98 degrees and 90% humidity in early June, as would skip a Sunday afternoon game against Missouri when it's 50 degrees with a 20 mph north wind in March.
This is the biggest problem with the "New Baseball Model" and moving the season back a full month. I would only move it back a week or two, at most.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.