Story Poster
Photo by Tarah Cochran, TexAgs
Texas A&M Baseball

Mikey Hoehner finding success in short stint with the Brazos Valley Bombers

August 6, 2020

Key notes from Mikey Hoehner interview

• I got to play the first half of the summer in the Premier League Houston, and I've picked up playing with the Bombers here recently. I also worked a few tables at Napa Flats. It's been a nice summer.

• I feel like every time you join a new team, it's hard to click with everybody right away, but the Bombers have been welcoming and have gotten me involved. They have been so great to me. It's been fantastic to play with all of the other Aggies as well. I'm so blessed to have come into such a good situation with them.

• There is some unfinished business at Texas A&M. I want to be a baseball player for as long as I can because I love this game and feel like I have more to give it. Hopefully, this game has more to give me as well. I felt like I'd have some regrets if I hung them up too soon and didn't come back for next season. That was my thought process in making my decision to come back to Texas A&M for another year.

• Going to the Premier League in Houston, it was at least some baseball. It wasn't SEC baseball, but it was still getting reps and seeing live pitching. I made some changes to my swing while I was there too. It has worked out for me so far. I'm focusing on the process and not the results right now, which has been helpful. I've found something that I can repeat each time out.

• There are so many Aggies on the Bombers, and it has been great. It has been a lot of fun. When we played in San Antonio last week, we had six Aggies in the lineup, and they were playing 'The Eyes of Texas' when they were announcing our lineup. I thought that was pretty funny. It's been great to see so many guys making improvements with the Bombers this year. I've been able to get more of a feel with my A&M teammates while playing with the Bombers.

• I like Bryce Miller making this transition to the starting rotation, and I also like how coach Childress is trying every option to fill out this rotation. Bryce has been fantastic this summer. He's got the same mentality now that he's starting that he did in the bullpen. I caught him three nights ago, and he was electric. If he keeps taking care of business, I see no reason why he can't be a weekend starter for us this spring.

• Will Johnston is on a mission. He has a plan. He's always had a good fastball and a curveball, but this summer, he has been working on a slider and a changeup. The guy is a worker. He deserves everything he gets. I'm very proud of what he's done in the weight room, and he is reaping the benefits.

• Taylor Smith is a great dude with an unbelievable swing. When we get him in the A&M lineup, it's going to be exciting. I'm ready to work with him.

• The story of our last seven games with the Bombers has been getting the bats going in the first two or three innings. However, I'm not sure I'm going to get to play in the TCL Championship game on Saturday because I have to go back play in the 5 Tool World Series in Houston that day. Playing in multiple championships is certainly not a problem.

• Every team has guys coming back, but when it comes to depth, I don't think there will be a team in the country that has more depth than we will have at Texas A&M. I hope we can have a good fall with plenty of scrimmages because we've got a ton of competitors. It's going to be a lot of fun at A&M here very soon.

• Asa Lacy had the opportunity to have a great season, and what a spot he put himself through 18 games. He dominated everybody he faced. He deserved getting drafted that high. It was cool to see him grow and develop. It was so much fun to catch him this year. He gave Will Johnston the blueprint, that's for sure.
Discussion from...

Mikey Hoehner finding success in short stint with the Brazos Valley Bombers

3,579 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TFNDAGG
rrtodds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Outstanding interview ... what depth and maturity in Mikey's discussion of his playing time and impressions of his teammates and his team.
TFNDAGG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bring that 500 Bat. Avg. into next spring. Mikey doing a great job behind & @ the plate. I'll be there watching. Giggem
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.