We lost a Good Ag Today -- Guy Wallace '51 Aggie All-American Shortstop/HOF

2,367 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jc97
WallyWonka
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

My Dad, Guy Wallace '51 passed away of natural causes yesterday afternoon. He was a great Dad, a great Ag, a good husband and a good man. He has been reunited with my Mom (Teddy Wallace) as she preceded him in death twenty years ago.

He was a Baseball Letterman in 1949, 1950 and 1951. He was the Consensus All-SWC Shortstop in 1949, 1950 and 1951 and ABCA All-American Shortstop in 1951. He was a Team Captain of the SWC Co-Champion Aggies in 1951 that became the first Aggie team to play in the College World Series in Omaha. After completing his eligibility, he was an Assistant Baseball Coach in 1952 and the Freshman Baseball Coach in 1953. He was also on the TAMU Freshman Basketball team. He was elected into the TAMU Hall of Fame in 1992.

My Dad was All-Aggie and big supporter of the TAMU. He had a tremendous influence on six his kids, of which four received degrees from TAMU. He coached Little League teams in the Kingsville area as we grew up and helped influence kids in so many ways, both on and off the field. He worked his entire professional career as an Architectural Engineer at Celanese Corporation in Bishop, Texas.

What he remembers most about TAMU, is he met my Mom, Teddy (Hubert) Wallace, while playing there with my Uncle, Dr. Pat Hubert (All SWC '49, '50 & '51 and All-American pitcher '51--and Aggie Hall of Famer) (wife Goldie). While as an assistant coach, he got to coach my Uncle, Dr. T. F. "Booger" Hubert (wife DeAnn). Can't leave out my other Uncle, Merle Muckleroy (Texas A&I University All-American football '56) (wife Georgie) and huge Aggie fan and season ticket holder.

With the current COVID conditions, we are planning on having an extremely small (siblings and their families only) funeral service Saturday at Our Lady of Consolation Catholic Church (Riviera, TX) with a planned Celebration of Life some time in the future when there is more certainty of health concerns regarding COVID.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Below is his Hall of Fame award.

Below is a picture having three TAMU Hall of Famers (Guy Wallace <top row #1>, John Dewitt <top row #6> and Pat Hubert <bottom row #3>). This picture was taken in 1951 in Bandera, Texas and I believe this may very well be the first meeting of my Dad and Mom <top row #2>. My Mom's brother was Pat Hubert (All-American pitcher for TAMU '51). The Ags played Brooks Army Medics in San Antonio the Wednesday/Thursday of Easter week and my Dad was asked by my Uncle Pat and Grandparents <bottom row #1 & #2> to go to Bandera after the series for Easter weekend. Wallace, Hubert and Dewitt were all on the '51 team.

Here's a recent picture of my Dad (2019)

Here are some from his playing days.

(Posted Sunday 7/26)
Corpus Christi Caller Times Obituary

https://legcy.co/3fRZj7H

BillyBob79
AG
Here...sorry for your loss.
85AustinAg
AG
Here...
TAM85
Here
mwm
I can clearly see where you might be tempted to miss him just a little bit.

He would have been great to sit down with and talk about the difference between the players of his era and those of today.

May God bless you and your family as you make the adjustments of not having him around.
threeanout
AG
WallyWonka said:

My Dad, Guy Wallace '51 passed away of natural causes yesterday afternoon. He was a great Dad, a great Ag, a good husband and a good man. He has been reunited with my Mom (Teddy Wallace) as she preceded him in death twenty years ago.

He was a Baseball Letterman in 1949, 1950 and 1951. He was the Consensus All-SWC Shortstop in 1949, 1950 and 1951 and ABCA All-American Shortstop in 1951. He was a Team Captain of the SWC Co-Champion Aggies in 1951 that became the first Aggie team to play in the College World Series in Omaha. After completing his eligibility, he was an Assistant Baseball Coach in 1952 and the Freshman Baseball Coach in 1953. He was also on the TAMU Freshman Basketball team. He was elected into the TAMU Hall of Fame in 1992.

My Dad was All-Aggie and big supporter of the TAMU. He had a tremendous influence on six his kids, of which four received degrees from TAMU. He coached Little League teams in the Kingsville area as we grew up and helped influence kids in so many ways, both on and off the field. He worked his entire professional career as an Architectural Engineer at Celanese Corporation in Bishop, Texas.

What he remembers most about TAMU, is he met my Mom, Teddy (Hubert) Wallace, while playing there with my Uncle, Dr. Pat Hubert (All SWC '49, '50 & '51 and All-American pitcher '51--and Aggie Hall of Famer) (wife Goldie). While as an assistant coach, he got to coach my Uncle, Dr. T. F. "Booger" Hubert (wife DeAnn). Can't leave out my other Uncle, Merle Muckleroy (Texas A&I University All-American football '56) (wife Georgie) and huge Aggie fan and season ticket holder.

With the current COVID conditions, we are planning on having an extremely small (siblings and their families only) funeral service Saturday at Our Lady of Consolation Catholic Church (Riviera, TX) with a planned Celebration of Life some time in the future when there is more certainty of health concerns regarding COVID.

Below is a picture having three TAMU Hall of Famers (Guy Wallace <top row #1>, John Dewitt <top row #6> and Pat Hubert <bottom row #3>). This picture was taken in 1951 in Bandera, Texas and I believe this may very well be the first meeting of my Dad and Mom <top row #2>. My Mom's brother was Pat Hubert (All-American pitcher for TAMU '51). The Ags played Brooks Army Medics in San Antonio the Wednesday/Thursday of Easter week and my Dad was asked by my Uncle Pat and Grandparents <bottom row #1 & #2> to go to Bandera after the series for Easter weekend. Wallace, Hubert and Dewitt were all on the '51 team.

So sorry for your loss, but thank you so much for posting. My father, who is still alive played with your dad on the '51 team. I have heard all about the trip to Arizona where they took 2 of 3 to make it to Omaha. They actually won a game in Omaha which wouldn't happen again for 42 years.

My father was a utility infielder, didn't play a whole lot but loved the game and his teammates. I spoke with hIm tonight for quite a while and he went on and on about Guy Wallace. He told me all about Guy, how he always got his bat on the ball "and could slap it to any part of the field". I guess he got confused and I didn't correct him but he told me "Guy's sister married 'ol Pat Hubert, our best pitcher". He said, "They were from Kingsville, just great people". It may sound strange, but my father got so excited talking tonight about the '51 team tonight that I didn't feel good about telling him your father passed away. I just let him carry on.

Cherish the memories. Your father was a great man and a great Aggie.
ABATTBQ87
AG
June 20, 1951 Battalion:

ABATTBQ87
AG

1951 Aggieland
dermdoc
AG
Here
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
Here
WallyWonka
AG

Thanks so much ABATTBQ87. I sincerely appreciate the links. You're awesome.

WallyWonka
AG

(Posted Sunday July 26)
Corpus Christi Caller Obituary

Rooster Clan
AG
Thanks for the Battalion clipping ABATTBQ87, that's a great addition.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
WallyWonka said:

(Posted Sunday 7/26)
Corpus Christi Caller Times Obituary

Some pedigree !

DeWitt - one of few 3sport letters
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Capitol Ag
AG
HERE!
Aggieangler93
AG
Here. Sorry for your loss!
TempleAg97
AG
Tremendous tribute. Amazing. Here.
jc97
AG
Here

Thank you for sharing -- I'm glad I know about him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.