NCAA passes major aid legislation

1,891 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by histag10
Civil 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

From what I have heard, Aggie players have only received partial athletic ship in the past. Hopefully this will help get the players more aid.

How will this help recruiting for us?
ptothemo
AG
This is absolutely huge news. Being said, it's really hard to say how it is going to help any one school, including A&M. It is going to help every school in recruiting, it has the potential to have lots of impact on individual decisions concerning going pro versus college, and it could change the landscape of sports that don't offer full rides. Actual quantification of that or anything more than anecdotal generalization would require a lot of analysis.
twk
AG
This will help our players, which is what really matters, but, if you're asking what will this do for A&M relative to other schools, that is complicated, and probably has to be divided into several groups.

Relative to the elite private schools where everyone gets aid (Vandy, Stanford), I think this will help A&M a little bit because it won't really add much of anything to what those schools can offer.

When you step down to the next level of private schools (the TCU's and Baylors of the world) and some state schools, who have high tuition, and not the universal aid that you find at the likes of Vanyd and Stanford, but still offer enough aid that most kids don't pay the "sticker price," this probably helps them more than it does A&M. We still have relatively low in-state tuition, and therefore, give out less scholarship money.

With regard to the state schools that had widespread instate scholarships (Florida and Louisiana), this probably helps level the playing field a bit for A&M.

Overall, this might help more lower income kids play college baseball, so, wherever you have poor kids playing baseball, this provides an opportunity for college to be more of an option, rather than signing a pro deal out of high school, which is a good thing considering the cuts that we are seeing to minor league baseball.
Civil 97
AG
Yep, this what I was getting at. It will be interesting to see how the Ags will use this to compete in recruiting and make it advantageous to choose the good guys.
W
AG
this will also be ripe for corruption and fuzzy accounting with regard to scholarships & financial aid.

of course some of that goes on already at certain schools. And it's always easier to cover up at private schools
W
AG
one question...if a baseball player get the "needs-based" of "merit-based" aid...

does that mean it was taken away from a regular student (non-athlete)?

so a university could steer its aid packages toward its athletes and away from regular students.

or is there a way to expand the pie and avoid a zero sum game
TXAggie2011
AG
W said:

one question...if a baseball player get the "needs-based" of "merit-based" aid...

so a university could steer its aid packages toward its athletes and away from regular students.

If they steer money towards an athlete because they're an athlete, I would assume it is still going to be considered athletics related aid and count against scholarship limits.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Relative to the elite private schools where everyone gets aid (Vandy, Stanford), I think this will help A&M a little bit because it won't really add much of anything to what those schools can offer.
I'm not sure if it'll turn out like that, as a blanket statement. As it has been, and the article touches on this a bit, players at schools, even in that stratosphere, still could often get hit with hefty bills even after all the aid was paid out.

And those schools often had trouble closing that gap because had to often avoid athletes becoming scholarship "counters" to avoid a lot of their merit- and need-based aid counting towards athletic scholarship limits.

Financial aid programs at private schools come in tons of varieties, so I imagine it'll be a school-by-school thing. (And, I should add, some public schools have pretty unique aid programs, too).
Tex100
AG
W said:

this will also be ripe for corruption and fuzzy accounting with regard to scholarships & financial aid.

of course some of that goes on already at certain schools. And it's always easier to cover up at private schools
. Absolutely. Some regular students may miss out on merit based scholarships because they are going to athletes. Would rather see athletic scholarships increased.
Tex100
AG
W said:

Only way to expand the pie is to have more dollars to pay in scholarships. If you an find more donor dollars for academic and merit based scholarships that aren't being diverted from athletic funding, then the regular student doesn't get hurt.
histag10
AG
Ill weigh in a bit here. I spent over 2 years doing scholarship compliance for the university before i decided to stay home with my kids.

This wont hurt other students for the simple fact that A&M wont/cant use athletics as a basis for scholarship selection (and departments and colleges dont want to lose their ability to award scholarships, so they tend to follow the university's rules- most of the time. I saw my fair share of problem children). Scholarship ctiteria at A&M is donor driven. If you give the money for an endowment, you get to choose how it is used (with some exceptions). A&M also has not allowed for stacking scholarships (you can get a scholarship from the university, your college, and your department, but you cant get multiple scholarships from the university).

My guess is that this will only lax the requirements the university must follow when an athlete gets a scholarship, and will more readily allow them access to need based scholarships. (Sometimes it would be months before it was determined if the student could even have the scholarship)

This will end up significantly benefitting universities that control their own scholarship endowments (TAMF and AFS control ours), and for schools that allow scholarship stacking (which we dont- we like to spread the wealth as much as possible).

The only BIG thing would be for an athlete who might qualify for one of the big outside endowments (Brown, Brockman, Terry), and im not sure how that would work.

A&M has someone whose sole job is to track athletic scholarships and aid, and verify we maintain compliance. My job was to track all university awarding entities (AFS, TAMF, university, departments, colleges, corps, etc) and make sure they maintained compliance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.