Some old baseball photos

11,412 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MMantle
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One correction: I was talking to someone who played Freshman baseball in '64, and his recollection was that they practiced at Kyle Field, but played games at Travis Park, and he didn't remember the old wooden grandstand. I went back and looked and cannot find a definitive answer, but the writeup in the '64 book mention Travis Park, while showing photos of Kyle Field (with the wooden grandstand). It looks like, by '65, the wooden grandstand was gone (based on an aerial photo on the inside flap) and at least some games were played at Travis Park (not sure about Kyle), however the '66 yearbook clearly shows games at Kyle (you can see the horseshoe in the background). The '63 yearbook clearly shows photos of the old wooden grandstand labeled as fans at Kyle Field, so I think that's accurate, but they were known, on occasion, to reuse photos from prior years.

I would love to have a definite answer. The best I can do is speculate that that the wooden grandstand was removed (I heard some stories at one time about storm damage) by 1965. It also seems that we may have split home games between Travis Park and Kyle (I saw one reference to a Friday night game that makes me think they might have played night games at Travis Park, since Kyle baseball field never had lights).
MMantle
AG
I was an Aggie baseball player from 1966-1969, my freshman year began in fall 1965, I don't remember seeing the old wooden grandstand.

My first varsity year was 1967, I don't think we played any home games at Kyle, the only ones I can remember were at Travis Park, we played at Kyle in 1968 and 1969.

Yes, we played a few night games at Travis Park in 1967, the lights were awful.

The one I remember most was a night game against SMU, and RHP Mike Livingston, my first introduction to a real slider.

We didn't have a chance, with those pathetic lights, he threw a one-hitter, only hit we got was a triple by Joe Staples.

Not saying this is all 100% accurate, but is what I can recall, 50+ years later.

RR

twk
AG
MMantle said:

I was an Aggie baseball player from 1966-1969, my freshman year began in fall 1965, I don't remember seeing the old wooden grandstand.

My first varsity year was 1967, I don't think we played any home games at Kyle, the only ones I can remember were at Travis Park, we played at Kyle in 1968 and 1969.

The one I remember most was a night game against SMU, and RHP Mike Livingston, my first introduction to a real slider.

We didn't have a chance, with those pathetic lights, he threw a one-hitter, only hit we got was a triple by Joe Staples.

Not saying this is all 100% accurate, but is what I can recall, 50+ years later.

RR

That's great information. Thanks.
Kid Shelleen 13
AG
I can confirm there were no wooden bleachers in the fall of '64 and the spring of '65 (my freshman year). We practiced on Kyle, but played at Travis through '66 season. In '67 we played at both venues. Kyle was the worst playing field in the SWC, sadly...................rocks would pop up through the infield dirt and were impossible to get rid of!

My dear friend and teammate, MMantle, has perfect recollection!

MMantle
AG
Amen, Brother, on that awful playing field.

We both played in the outfield, no way you'd charge a base hit, from RF, in hopes of trying to throw out a base runner, we never had any clue as to what kind of 'hop' the ball might take, dangerous.

The worst problem was lack of any drainage, rain water could stick around for days.

We were to play Tech in 1969, it rained for the mid-week game, we were only able to play a day later after the Corps came out and spent hours soaking up water in the outfield with towels.

Towels??

RR

NoahAg
ProudAg16 said:

twk said:

It seems that the construction of the second decks for the football field in '67 and '68 (they built the west one on top of that 1953 extension, so that they could keep using the press box) caused the team to move to Travis Park for a couple of seasons. When they came back, the wooden grandstand was gone, replaced with small sets of metal bleachers:

The team closed out old Kyle Baseball Field with a SWC championship in 1977, then christened Olsen Field with a second consecutive championship in 1978. And thus concludes our history lesson.

#9 rounding third. That's my dad.
Username checks out!
Aggieangler93
AG
I found some of these online years ago. I am so glad you put this thread together. I love looking at old baseball stuff, and it being Aggies makes it even better.

To the former players that are always commenting on posts, thanks so much for your perspective on how things were when you represented us all. You may never know what hope you gave us!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Ag 11
AG
These pictures are great!
allMondjoy
The pic at Disch-Faulk where runner slides at 3rd.
That was future MLB star Keith Moreland waiting on throw. I pitched for SHSU, we opened the final season at Disch. Damn Moreland doubled off me.
twk
AG
Found some good quality old baseball photos from the Ags time at Kyle Baseball Field on the Cushing archives site. Tried to do some cropping and adjustments to enhance them.

This one is of the 1928 team. The grandstand would have either been moved (or built) on this location at the SW corner of Prof Kyle's experiment plot (where the team played from the late '20s to 1977) in the late 20s, when the diamond was moved from its prior location, on another part of Prof. Kyle's field.

The screen at the top of the grandstand was an early feature that later disappeared, so this is probably from the late '20s or early '30s.

Could probably date this one by looking in the yearbooks for uniform style.

The only way I know to date some of these shots is by looking at the surroundings. The wooden fence and small Kyle Football Field press box date this from the '30s.

This is a really good view of the grandstand, probably from the '40s or '50s.

This one gives you a perspective of what it would have been like to watch from the back of the grandstand. The roof and posts would definitely obstruct your view a bit.

Some time after this grandstand was put in place, they removed the boards that I suppose were to keep the balls in play and replaced it with chicken wire, so the folks on row 1 had a good view.

Notice how only chicken wire separates the bench from the fans

They have some nice action shots. Had to crop most of these as the photographers did not have telephoto lenses, but were using large format film so the quality is good enough to blow up.

We've now got chain link fence in the outfield, rather than wood, so this is later in time than the outfield shots showing a wood fence.

twk
AG
Some more.

The one above is after 1953, because that's when the small addition to Kyle Field was built.

BBGigem
AG
Those are great!!
Twelfthman99
AG
John Hoyle told me stories of some sign stealing back in the day.... They would put a player in the stands at Kyle and throw towels over the side. The number of towels represented the anticipated pitch. He also mentioned a story about dollar bills mysteriously flying into the chain link fence on the third baseline after HRs. I believe he played with Wally Moon, so I suspect there were quite a few... These stories were shared a dozen years ago after class when I was in my doctoral program taking Ed Leadership with Dr. Hoyle, so feel free to correct me if I'm not entirely accurate or mis-remembered anything. John was a great Aggie and I miss him... Here!
twk
AG
One of the things I like in these old photographs is the details. In a couple of those photos, you see guys being congratulated after hitting home runs, and it looks like the bat boys are in on the celebration. You see a couple of those kids wearing jeans rolled up several inches rather than hemmed (presumably so that they could grow a few inches without buying new clothes), and even one boy who appears to be barefooted. I also like the one with the two businessmen seated, wearing ties and hats, drinking Cokes, while everyone else behind and to their side is standing.
West Point Aggie
AG
Using the last row of the football stands gave a great vantage point…
inozips
AG
12th99 - Cliff Gustafson told a similar towel story at a Tom Chandler tribute several years back. Ag's apparently beat Burt Hooten if I'm remembering the story right by stealing signs hanging towels.

And yes nothing new under the sun Astro haters...

Y'all remember when the Stro's came up and scrimmaged the Ags? That was a fun day...
adbono
twk said:

It seems that the construction of the second decks for the football field in '67 and '68 (they built the west one on top of that 1953 extension, so that they could keep using the press box) caused the team to move to Travis Park for a couple of seasons. When they came back, the wooden grandstand was gone, replaced with small sets of metal bleachers:

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/d5/31/d53124eee8ce538c0e8cbe7e8acc93f83979d446_119158_u15165.jpg
https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/83/2c/832c8ed175883713e49a1bc33ac56b3f14e1c4e9_153302_u15165.jpg
The team closed out old Kyle Baseball Field with a SWC championship in 1977, then christened Olsen Field with a second consecutive championship in 1978. And thus concludes our history lesson.

I love seeing these old pictures. I played in -'77, '78 & '79 and played on both fields. Have fond memories of both. SWC was a great baseball conference during those years. It was back before scholarship limits and every team could compete. Much like SEC baseball today. Roster depth then wasn't what it is now but we also had a life outside of baseball.

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/000/96/29/9629abfe0f741f9a0c414e25041ffa60ded1d956_110412_u15165.jpg
alamoaggie64
AG
A few times as a kid I would stand at top of Kyle Field stands and watch the baseball game and track meet at same time. Thanks for the photos, those are interesting.
twk
AG
I've kind of been looking around for more old baseball stuff, and just happened to stumble across a video from a 1969 game against TCU at the old Frog Diamond. Can't embed it as the video is hosted at UNT's Portal to Texas History, but here's a link:

WBAP-TV news footage
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
W said:

wow, a sold out game at Kyle Field for Memphis State in 1978.
Charlie Pride, the late country music singer had a son who was a running back for Memphis State for that game. I don't remember the score but the Ag's trounced them.

Later that Spring, Pride had a concert at G. Rollie White. He came out wearing a Texas Aggie jacket and jokingly said he hoped tonight's crowd treated him better than we treated his son.

He got a huge round of applause and a lot of Whoops.
94chem
94chem
Curtis Dickey with 9.94 100m
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Joe Schillaci 48 said:

W said:

wow, a sold out game at Kyle Field for Memphis State in 1978.
Charlie Pride, the late country music singer had a son who was a running back for Memphis State for that game. I don't remember the score but the Ag's trounced them.

Later that Spring, Pride had a concert at G. Rollie White. He came out wearing a Texas Aggie jacket and jokingly said he hoped tonight's crowd treated him better than we treated his son.

He got a huge round of applause and a lot of Whoops.
I think it was 59-3. I remember my parents telling me that when I was picked up at the baby sitter at midnight in Fort Worth. But I was 5, so maybe I'm off.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
F4GIB71
MMantle said:

RR

Joe Staples was one of our sales managers at my first job after I left active duty. I recall he said he made it to AA ball. "I'm glad I wasn't a little bit better or I might have hung around trying to make it to the majors". He did okay as he got his own distributorship and probably made more than he would have in the majors, at least in those days.
I loved baseball and played on our outfit intramural teams but never made any Aggie games. I guess it was because the games were at Travis Park and cars were rare back then, especially underclassmen. We had 53 fish in my outfit of the first day. Only one had a car.
I do recall going to the t.u. games my senior year at Kyle. Burt Hooten was pitching for t.u. The band was there. The snare drummer would roll as Hooten would wind up, then the bass drummer would hit it as the ball hit the catchers mitt. It was getting in Burt's head
Aggie Hunter
AG
My grandfather pitched for A&M (Gerry Nelson) in 1953 and 1954. Would love to see if you have any pictures from those two years.
twk
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

My grandfather pitched for A&M (Gerry Nelson) in 1953 and 1954. Would love to see if you have any pictures from those two years.

I got those from the Cushing archive online, and most of those were probably from the yearbook, but they only seem to cover a handful of years for some reason. You can look up the yearbooks online, but I bet you've already seen those. If you do look at those online, one thing to look out for is that up to some point, the baseball section is from the prior year because the book went to press before school was out, but that probably stopped by '53.

They do have at least one 1953 picture: the one looking through the chicken wire from the press box on top of the grandstand shows the construction of an addition to the west side of the football stadium which means it was taken in 1953.
third deck
AG
Twelfthman99 said:

John Hoyle told me stories of some sign stealing back in the day.... They would put a player in the stands at Kyle and throw towels over the side. The number of towels represented the anticipated pitch. He also mentioned a story about dollar bills mysteriously flying into the chain link fence on the third baseline after HRs. I believe he played with Wally Moon, so I suspect there were quite a few... These stories were shared a dozen years ago after class when I was in my doctoral program taking Ed Leadership with Dr. Hoyle, so feel free to correct me if I'm not entirely accurate or mis-remembered anything. John was a great Aggie and I miss him... Here!

My father played on same SWC championship team with Hoyle. That team was 1 game away from a trip to Omaha.

Some of my favorite memories at Olsen were at reunions sitting in the stands with members of '55 team and listening to them talk about how great they were - in their minds better than just about every other current team, including '89. LOL The legends grew bigger every year. And, of course, a running topic was how modern bat technology and weight training afforded all these "young kids" an unfair advantage that players in the 50's did not have.

And, regarding stealing signs, those '55 guys were pretty good at stealing signs from the stands even in the modern era.
alamoaggie64
AG
I can assure you that we played at Kyle Field in 1964. Later when they were going to enlarge the upper deck on the west side, they had to move out to Travis Park. BTW, SWC champs in 1964.
alamoaggie64
AG
It wasn't the Brook Field Medics but the Brook Army Medical Center (BAMC) Medics. They were a really good "semi-pro" level team that would generally have 1 or 2 major leaguers on active duty. Aggies would play them every year. About last year I remember was about 1961.
MMantle
AG
Just noticed the tv clips of the 1969 TCU game at Old Frog Diamond, showing Eddie Vaughan, Pete Maida, Boyd Hadaway, Doug Rau and Larry Stelley, five of the best.

I played in that game, I'll never forget it, never had a bigger disappointment.

It was the first game of a 3-game weekend series, we were playing a Friday doubleheader, first game was 7 innings, second game was 9.

We were 9-0, ranked 2nd in the country, we were playing well, having just come off a sweep of SMU.

We got off to a great start in game 1, we were leading 5-0, going into the bottom of the 5th, with Doug Rau on the mound, 7 inning game, no way we'd lose this one?

TCU ended up tying it in the 7th, won in extra innings, devastating loss, we never recovered.

That being said, we were probably overrated, we were really strong position-wise, we had 6 of 8 position players returning from a 1968 Aggie team that had a .750 winning pct.

We lost Joe Staples and Terry Dailey from the 68 team, but replaced them with very good players, :Larry Stelley and Eddie Vaughan.

Big problem was no pitching depth, we had Rau, Dave Benesh and Walter Varvel, not much after that.

Regardless, I enjoyed the clips, good memories of good friends.

Thanks

RR
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.