Bryan to host four-team collegiate baseball tournament in June (no fans)

8,050 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dermdoc
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Travis Field will host a four-team tournament featuring the nation's best collegiate baseball players June 4-6, Texas Collegiate League president and Brazos Valley Bombers owner Uri Geva announced Monday.

The players and tournament officials will be quarantined for the duration of the Collegiate Summer Baseball Invitational, which will be formatted after an NCAA baseball regional. All players and officials will be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival and will be checked daily.

Local health officials have approved the event, which will take place with no fans. The games will be available via pay-per-view. The six games will be available for $49.95 to the first 2,000 subscribers. The price will increase after that.

The players, picked by the CSBI coaching staffs, will have three days of practice before the tournament.

The players, which will be announced starting Tuesday, will include Texas A&M and former area high school players. The roster will include more than 70 players from NCAA Division I schools.
More info: https://www.theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/travis-field-to-host-four-team-collegiate-baseball-tournament-in-june/article_6f50c884-8e46-11ea-9b3e-07649a7d9848.html
Captn_Ag05
AG
Their website with more information: https://csbi2020.com/
greg.w.h
AG
Well thought out. I'll note selling this without mentioning specific players has to make the marketing a lot more sterile and therefore harder.

Full price is $19.95 * 6 so the package, especially first 2,000, is quite a deal!
ensign_beedrill
AG
Spectators not allowed.
swimmerbabe11
Hop
Staff
AG
Does anybody think this will be successful? Why will most college baseball fans, who follow the sport because they are a fan of one team, be interested to pay $50 to watch a random collection of college players playing six exhibition games?

I hope it pans out and they get a lot of subscribers, but I'm not sure that will happen.
etchasketch
AG
Hop said:

Does anybody think this will be successful? Why will most college baseball fans, who follow the sport because they are a fan of one team, be interested to pay $50 to watch a random collection of college players playing six exhibition games?

I hope it pans out and they get a lot of subscribers, but I'm not sure that will happen.
I think in general that people are desperate for some sense of normalcy. If I can turn on my TV for a few nights and watch baseball or just have the sounds of the game in my livingroom, I'm in. If I get to see a couple of my favorite players at the same time, even better. In my opinion, if its advertised broadly enough, I think it will work.
Shane Minks
AG
Hop said:

I agree...I'm sure diehards will tune in. Might've gotten more eyeballs had they set the teams up regionally or something. North vs South vs East vs West. Idk.

Interested to see how it pans out.
ptothemo
AG
Yeah, I had to make a decision this morning if I was going to run or get on my stationary bike. There were other factors, but I chose the bike largely because I knew there was a KBO game on live. No offense to the KBO but if I am doing that for a bunch of guys and teams who I have never heard of prior to two days ago, I am definitely in for college baseball in any form.
Aggie
AG
I'm thinking the PPV is geared towards players families... don't see a bunch of random fans paying $50 to watch summer tournaments.
trouble
AG
I'm probably going to pay for it because I'm suffering with no baseball. Or maybe I'll just go park near the field and listen
BCSWguru
with no Cape Cod this summer, this has potential
dermdoc
AG
We already bought it. Hell, I have been watching Korean baseball and it has got to beat that.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Psychag
AG
Looks like my son may be playing in this tournament. Pretty cool.
TheChameleon
AG
etchasketch said:

Hop said:

I think in general that people are desperate for some sense of normalcy. If I can turn on my TV for a few nights and watch baseball or just have the sounds of the game in my livingroom, I'm in. If I get to see a couple of my favorite players at the same time, even better. In my opinion, if its advertised broadly enough, I think it will work.

Without fans, there will be no sounds of the game. That's the problem. With no fans, everyone is going to realize it's borderline pointless to play any games, no matter what the sport. Despite how desperate anyone is. It just isn't the same.

That being said, even ignoring the fan issue, this tournament is not likely to generate a ton of interest. "First 2000 subscribers", really? They'll be lucky to even get that many.
Aggie
AG
TheChameleon said:

Without fans, there will be no sounds of the game. That's the problem. With no fans, everyone is going to realize it's borderline pointless to play any games, no matter what the sport. .

Can't be serious
TexAgs1992
I'm contemplating taking a 12 pack out there on Friday and enjoying the games from Center Field. No one can stop me.
cypress-ag
AG
So....what would happen if I happend to drive up and park close and find a place to watch from left field etc?
This idea of playing sports with no fans is horible. Search for some Youtube videos of soccer matches played in Europe because of violence etc. and it is eirie. No crowd noise just hearing the touch of the ball off the feet etc.
iisanaggie
AG
Thinking of doing the same thing. I had to jump back and forth to watch both of my sons play LL last season. Set up some chairs in the outfield and watch from there!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Per their Twitter, announced players so far include:

Dylan Smith, P, Alabama
Shea Kramer, OF, Utah
Colin Burgess, C, South Carolina
Kade Morris, UTIL, McNeese State
Mason Greer, INF, Auburn
Hunter Dobbins, P, Texas Tech
tcow715
AG
A buddy of mine talked to a scout for the Yankees and the scout said that pro scouts aren't allowed at anything until after the draft so no scouts will be there. I don't see many highly rated guys playing in this thing with no scouts involved.
Wicked Good Ag
Why wouldn't they be able to be there ??
TXAggie2011
AG
MLB rules instituted back in March. They've been relaxed some.

Frankly, if scouts can watch the video, they can save everyone time and money and watch it at home.
kevmiller
Is this thing still happening?
Have not heard much about it... I know they wanted like 100 players and plan was to have 4 teams.
Looking at their website, Facebook and Twitter I'm seeing 24 players signed and this thing is scheduled for next week?
dermdoc
AG
I have that same question. And nothing in the Eagle this morning about it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Psychag
AG
It's happening. My son got an email with specific instructions including the testing for Covid and arriving to the hotel (where he'll be sequestered for the week when not at the field).
dermdoc
AG
Sounds good.
Goose06
AG
dermdoc said:

We already bought it. Hell, I have been watching Korean baseball and it has got to beat that.

Are there spectators in Korean baseball? Curious what approach they have taken for social distancing?
dermdoc
AG
No spectators. Just female cheerleaders with masks.
Goose06
AG
dermdoc said:

No spectators. Just female cheerleaders with masks.

If that's all they wore, they could probably get a big online tv audience
dermdoc
Ag 11
AG
Where are the rosters?
Agryan00
The day before the tournament and no rosters. My guess is this a suckers bet for all of us dying for sports. I have $40 but not spending it until there is hook for me.
tcow715
AG

Kendall Rodgers tweeted out the pool of players. Not individual rosters, but this gives you all the players and their schools.
Psychag
AG
CSBI2020 tweeted out the rosters last night. 2 games tomorrow night on ESPN 2 (6 and 9:00). Rest of games pay streamed.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.