Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Baseball

Diamond Talk: A way-too-early look at the Aggies' 2021 roster

April 10, 2020

Key notes from Scott Clendenin interview

• The portal could get very interesting here in a few days with the NCAA set to decide the transfer rules on May 20. So far, only Dawson Barr's name is on that list. So now, I have a list of 52 guys that are set to be on the roster in the fall. 

• At catcher, Mikey Hoehner, Rody Barker, Brandon Ashy, and Hunter Coleman are all coming back. Taylor Smith and Kimble Schuessler are two legitimate options coming in. You are going to have as tough of a competition at catcher as you're going to find anywhere on this team. 

• At corner infield, names like Hunter Coleman, Will Frizzell, Austin Bost, Hunter Watson are set to return, and Brett Minnick is coming in from Blinn. It's another situation where A&M has some serious competition going into the fall. The health factor for guys like Coleman, who have been battling nagging injuries, could be huge.

• At middle infield, this is the one position A&M was expecting to lose some names and see a lot of new players come in and play early. Bryce Blaum, Logan Sartori, Trevor Werner, and Ty Coleman are coming back as of now, and they bring in a five-man class headlined by Max Anderson and Kalae Harrison to compete with those guys.

• At outfield, I think DeLoach is going pro, so I don't count him on my list. Coming back, you have Ray Alejo, Logan Britt, Cam Blake, and Mason Corbett. That's essentially a starting outfield and a reliable fourth option before you factor in Kobe Andrade, Matthew Etzel, and Jordan Thompson coming in. You're bringing in three guys fighting for basically one spot. A lot of other guys have the potential to man an outfield spot, like Brett Minnick, but this outfield is as deep as you are going to find.

• Left-handed pitching is still loaded, even when losing Asa Lacy, who, by the way, Keith Law has going No. 5 overall. I don't see him still available that late. Joseph Menefee, Jonathan Childress, Will Johnston, Chandler Jozwiak, Chris Weber are all coming back and will all have a very early chance to lock down a rotation spot. Colson Geisler and Dustin Saenz round out that group, and coming in to join them is Thomas Vincent and Hunter Hollan.

• From the right side, Christian Roa most likely will be taken in the draft, so he could very well be gone. Cam Wynne, Blake Mayfield, Evan Vanek, Alex Magers, and Jake Nelson are all slated to return, but the difference maker between a five-round draft and a ten-round draft is getting Bryce Miller back. I think at the back of your bullpen, having him again gives you the option to put Menefee in the rotation full-time and set your bullpen around him.

• With all these guys coming back, and the class you have coming in, pitching doesn't look to fall off next year. We're looking at the third year in a row having a rotation that is compiled with lefties. This team is going to be very deep heading into next year, and I am excited to see it all unfold when the time comes.
Discussion from...

Diamond Talk: A way-too-early look at the Aggies' 2021 roster

9,550 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MMantle
MMantle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pitching will likely fall off, at least to some degree.

The most important component of an SEC pitching staff is a super-stud Friday starter.

Is there another Asa Lacy / John Doxakis out there?

RR
OKCAGS
Who is going to play SS ?
themissinglink
AG
Hoping the stud Friday night guy is Jonathan Childress
RookieW1221
MMantle
AG
I like Childress, a lot, but would prefer a power pitcher / hard thrower on Friday.

RR
clendenin
AG
Childress was 94-95 before TJ and already back to 92 this spring. Menefee was 93 last year still working back from his TJ but was mid 90s in high school.
MMantle
AG
The times I've seen him pitch, it doesn't look like he throws that hard, I've been told that the A&M gun is 3-4 miles higher that the average.

RR
McCoveysCove
I see where Hunter Watson is in transfer portal. Can Wynn also. Watson is a guy who I thought would be 3 and done based on his Perfect Game profile. Man have they been off on him. So hard to predict who will help you in college and who won't.
MMantle
AG
Amen to that, so true.

RR
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.