My friend Paul's story 4APR03 (coronavirus isolation inspired edition)

1,792 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dermdoc
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The first Medal of Honor for the war in Iraq was earned on this date in 2003 by SFC Paul Ray Smith, 2nd Plt/Bco/11th EN BN/ 1BDE/3ID(M) at the airport in Baghdad.

If this thread seems familiar to some people, it is because I have posted something very similar to it on this date in years past. I try to acknowledge his memory every year at this time. I would like to share the story of my good friend and mentor SFC Paul R. Smith and what he did to EARN the first Medal of Honor for the war in Iraq. I know that some of y'all may have heard of him and also that most of y'all never knew him. Paul was the first Engineer to die in either Afghanistan or Iraq. After the battle was over, they determined that his SAPI plates had been hit 27 times before he was fatally wounded. I am also cross-posting this on the Military, History, and Outdoor boards.

Here is a direct quote from Paul to his parents in a letter prior to his deployment: "There are two ways to come home, stepping off the plane and being carried off the plane. It doesn't matter how I come home, because I am prepared to give all that I am to ensure that all my boys make it home."

On April 4, 2003, the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, attacked to seize Objective Lions, the Baghdad International Airport. As part of the Brigade scheme of maneuver, Task Force 2-7 Infantry was tasked to establish a blocking position against a brigade-sized counterattack on the main entrance to the airfield. Task Force 2-7 had been fighting for three consecutive days and had moved through the night before reaching the blocking position. Morale was high, but Soldiers were experiencing fatigue. B Company, 3rd Battalion, 69th Armored Regiment (Knight) was in the east-most position oriented along the main avenue of approach ready for the main enemy counterattack. A Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment (Rage) was attacking to the southeast of the Highway.

The main entrance to the airfield was a four-lane highway with a median to separate incoming and outgoing traffic. Large masonry walls with towers approximately 100 meters apart bound the highway. On the morning of April 4, 2003, more than 100 soldiers from the Task Force 2-7 Forward Aid Station, mortars, scouts and portions of B Company, 11th Engineer Battalion were in the median behind the forward most blocking positions. The B Company, 11th Engineer Battalion 2nd Platoon Leader was on a reconnaissance mission with the B Company, Task Force 2-7 Infantry Commander. During his absence, 2nd Platoon received the mission to construct an Enemy Prisoner of War holding area. SFC Paul Smith was in charge of 2nd Platoon.

SFC Smith assessed the best location to be behind the masonry wall bounding the highway. Two guard towers along the wall were ideally situated to provide overwatch to the holding area. An M9 ACE (armored combat earthmover) knocked a hole in the wall to create an opening to a large courtyard with a louvered metal gate on the north side. With the help of a squad leader and team leader, SFC Smith checked the far side of the courtyard for enemy, found none, and posted two guards. From the guard post at the gate, small groupings of buildings were 100-200 meters to the northeast. To the northwest, a large white building with a white dome was visible. The location seemed perfect, as the courtyard was along the northern flank of the blocking position and enemy actions to this point were mostly from the east.

While an engineer squad began to clear debris in the courtyard, one of the guards saw 10-15 enemy soldiers with small arms, 60mm mortars, and rocket-propelled grenades (RPG). These were the lead elements of an organized company-sized force making a deliberate attack on the flank of Task Force 2-7. SFC Smith came to the position and identified 25-50 more soldiers moving into prepared fighting positions. SFC Smith instructed a squad leader to get a nearby Bradley Fighting Vehicle for support. While waiting for the Bradley, SFC Smith had members of 2nd platoon retrieve AT-4s and form a skirmish line outside the gate.

By this time, the number of enemy identified rose to 100 soldiers, now a confirmed company-sized attack. Three of B Company's M113A3 APCs (armored personnel carriers) oriented their M2 .50-cal. machine guns toward the opening in the wall and the surrounding guard towers, which were now occupied by enemy soldiers.

SFC Smith's actions to organize a defense against the deliberate attack were not only effective, but inspired the B Company, 11th Engineer Battalion Soldiers. He then began to lead by example. As the Bradley arrived on site and moved through the hole in the wall toward the gate,SFC Smith ran to the gate wall and threw a fragmentation grenade at the enemy. He then took two Soldiers forward to join the guards and directed their engagement of the enemy with small arms. The enemy continued to fire rifles, RPGs, and 60mm mortars at the Soldiers on the street and within the courtyard. Enemy soldiers began moving along the buildings on the north side of the clearing to get into position to climb into the towers. SFC Smith called for an APC to move forward to provide additional fire support. SFC Smith then fired an AT-4 at the enemy while directing his fire team assembled near the front line of the engagement area.

Running low on ammunition and having taken RPG hits, the Bradley withdrew to reload. The lead APC in the area received a direct hit from a mortar, wounding the three occupants. The enemy attack was at its strongest point and every action counted. Not only were the wounded Soldiers threatened but also more than 100 Soldiers from B Company, the Task Force TOC and Aid Station, and the Mortar Platoon were at risk. SFC Smith ordered one of his Soldiers to back the damaged APC back into the courtyard after the wounded men had been evacuated.

Knowing the APC 's M2 .50-Cal. machine gun was the largest weapon between the enemy and the friendly position, SFC Smith immediately assumed the track commander's position behind the weapon, and told the Soldier who accompanied him to "feed me ammunition whenever you hear the gun get quiet." SFC Smith fired on the advancing enemy from the unprotected position atop the APC and expended at least three boxes of ammunition before being mortally wounded by enemy fire. The enemy attack was defeated. SFC Smith's actions saved the lives of at least 100 Soldiers, caused the failure of a deliberate enemy attack hours after 1st Brigade seized the Baghdad Airport, and resulted in an estimated 20-50 enemy soldiers killed. His actions inspired his platoon, his Company, the 11th Engineer Battalion and Task Force 2-7 Infantry.

SFC Smith's actions to lead Soldiers in direct contact with a numerically superior enemy--to personally engage the enemy with a fragmentation grenade, AT-4, and individual weapon, to ultimately assume the track commander's position to fire the M2 .50-Cal. machine gun through at least three boxes of ammunition before being mortally wounded--demonstrates conspicuous gallantry above and beyond the call of duty. His actions prevented a penetration in the Task Force 2-7 sector, defended the aid station, mortars, and scouts, and allowed the evacuation of Soldiers wounded by indirect enemy fire.

The citation reads: quote
"Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with an armed enemy near Baghdad International Airport, Baghdad, Iraq on April 4, 2003. On that day, Sergeant First Class Smith was engaged in the construction of a prisoner of war holding area when his Task Force was violently attacked by a company-sized enemy force. Realizing the vulnerability of over 100 soldiers, Sergeant First Class Smith quickly organized a hasty defense consisting of two platoons of soldiers, one Bradley Fighting Vehicle and three armored personnel carriers. As the fight developed, Sergeant First Class Smith braved hostile enemy fire to personally engage the enemy with hand grenades and anti-tank weapons, and organized the evacuation of three wounded soldiers from an armored personnel carrier struck by a rocket propelled grenade and a 60 mm mortar round. Fearing the enemy would overrun their defenses, Sergeant First Class Smith moved under withering enemy fire to man a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a damaged armored personnel carrier. In total disregard for his own life, he maintained his exposed position in order to engage the attacking enemy force. During this action, he was mortally wounded. His courageous actions helped defeat the enemy attack, and resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed, while allowing the safe withdrawal of numerous wounded soldiers. Sergeant First Class Smith's extraordinary heroism and uncommon valor are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, the Third Infantry Division 'Rock of the Marne,' and the United States Army."

If any of y'all have been to any of the bases on BIAP--Victory, Liberty, Striker, Slayer, Cropper, etc., you have probably been by the site where it happened. The tower mentioned in the article used to stand just before you got to the Slayer tunnel coming from Striker; it no longer stands because the iraqis knocked it down after we turned control of BIAP back over to them.

This year, due to the coronavirus causing the cancellation of all sporting events, I have thinking about, and reliving, the events of 2003 significantly more than I usually do

I know this was a long post, but since today is the anniversary of that event, I wanted to share it (actually, I NEEDED to share it). Paul was a truly great mentor and an even better friend. I was in B11th EN BN that day at the airport, and there isn't a day that goes by I don't remember that day and Paul's valor and sacrifice. Paul's MOH was presented posthumously to his son, David, by President Bush (43) on this date in 2005.

"Bulldog 2-7, Rest in Peace, My Brother! Thanks for what you did that day at the airport, and for everything you taught me and all your other Soldiers! I'll see you on the other side. Bulldog 1-2A, out."

I'm cross-posting this on the Baseball, General, History, Military, Outdoors, and Politics forums, because these are the forums I'm spending the most time on these days. Moderators please excuse my posting this on multiple forums and PLEASE don't delete them because I'm really needing to share this story this year, and many posters in the past have replied that they look forward to reading this story every year when I post it.

Edited to break down the Really long paragraph into several smaller paragraphs to make it easier to read, as per suggestion.
Aggie12B
AG
I would like to thank the moderators for letting me post this story across multiple forum boards. I would also like to thank all the readers on the Baseball, General, History, Military, Outdoors and Politics forums who have read my post this year and in previous years, and also for all the encouraging replies to my posts. I tell this story because it happened in the middle of what was, without a doubt, the worst week of my entire military career, and telling Paul's story helps me cope with those events and helps keep me from going too far down the rabbit hole, where it comes close to reaching the point of no return. I struggle with that all too frequently. With the coronavirus hysteria cancelling all sporting events this year, I have been dancing closer to the edge of the rabbit hole than I ever have in the past. I enjoyed the hell out of my time in the military (except for that week in 2003) and I wish I was still on active duty. It was my honor to serve, irregardless of personal consequences because, quite frankly, this great country is worth it.
Capitol Ag
AG
Thank you very much for sharing Aggie12B and thank you for your service. I am glad that you can help to keep your friend's memory alive. God bless.
dermdoc
AG
Thank you for your service and your story. I am truly humbled by true heroes like y'all.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for a friend.

John 15:13

God bless and may you find the peace that passeth all understanding.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.