Eligibility Rules For 2021

3,289 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by W
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?

in light of the "lost season" everyone gets to return and has an extra year with no effect on # of players on the roster or # of scholarships.. however total scholarship $$ can not exceed last year's $$
W
AG
good news.

hopefully this will curtail a lot of offseason trap-dooring
W
AG
and as we've seen in years past...

there may still be some guys that go ahead and hang up the cleats if they graduate this May or August or December and have good job prospects in the business world
Ag 11
AG
Good
Bernie13
W said:

and as we've seen in years past...

there may still be some guys that go ahead and hang up the cleats if they graduate this May or August or December and have good job prospects in the business world
No job in business world better than Aggie baseball.
Agsuffering@bulaw
This is the right thing to do, and also could benefit us.

18 SEC players in the MLB's top 100 (10-ACC, 8-PAC). I assume they all get drafted. Asa is the only one of ours.

I see 3 questions now:

1. how many rounds will the draft go (sounds like MLB only wants 5)

2. how heavily will the scouts weigh this partial season over previous seasons? Lacy will go round 1. Figure Deloach is a candidate to go in the shortened draft. Figure the other juniors would take less money if offered, the question is how much less and would they be offered? Others are in a better position to evaluate.

3. What does the NCAA do in light of the modified draft? Should automatically redshirt 2020 juniors, but not allow the any additional rule changes for them. The ones good enough to get drafted, get drafted. The ones good enough to get a 5th year, get one. The rest are done after 4. That would give them leverage against MLB. If not, then we will lose a bunch of juniors.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2020/draft/
twk
AG
There will be some interesting, tough decisions to be made.

Not only will the draft be shortened, but also, signing bonus payments will be deferred to some extent. I think the deferment will be in place for the 2021 draft as well, so that may help some guys who are on the fence decide to go ahead and sign now. Of course, draft position will still depend on slot,and clubs will be having the "what would it take for you to sign" conversation, so I suspect we may see some very good prospects slip out of the draft, if it is only five rounds, due to signability.

On the intake side, there is going to be a crunch on scholarship money. As I understand it, senior aid won't count against the 11.7, but your 2020 juniors who return for 2021 will, so you'll have more scholarship players returning than you would normally expect (you'll have top talent spread over four classes,instead of the usual 3). That's going to put the squeeze on some players, whether its high school guys who find their is no money for them, or returning players who find their scholarship is gone (or reduced).
Agsuffering@bulaw
So it actually looks like everyone will get an extra year of eligibility, not just seniors.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/ncaas-divsion-i-council-grants-spring-sports-athletes-extra-year-of-eligibility/

Who besides Asa is likely drafted in a 5 round draft (assuming they would sign for ~ slot )?
Tex100
AG
nm
W
AG
sidenote...we have our first D1 school to decline offering/granting an extra year to their spring sports seniors:

Wisconsin.

the money crunch is real for many athletic departments
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.