MLB Considering Skipping the 2020 Draft

4,302 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mwlkr
rally-cap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Link

This would be a considerable blow to projected first rounders like Asa. Given that the NCAA still hasn't clarified if spring sport athletes will get another year of eligibility (I'm betting they won't), the draft was the only thing seniors and draft eligible juniors had to work towards, and now that may be gone.
twk
AG
The key item in that article is the amount of money that MLB could save by postponing the draft: $400 million.

They are looking for ways to save money, while at the same time, expecting to incur some unprecedented costs in the form of possible support payments to minor leaguers and venue staff. Cutting out signing bonuses would be one relatively easy way to do this.

The article talks about teams losing draft position, but nobody tanks in baseball to improve their draft position. Yes, teams will shed salary and endure years of losing to rebuild, but it's not about positioning themselves for the top draft pick. The baseball draft is just too big of a crapshoot for that to make sense, so I think the author of that article is way off base in thinking that the teams who have high picks in this years draft would lose a lot of sleep over losing their draft position. Yes, they might regret not having a year's intake, but everyone would be in the same boat.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Kendall Rogers joined TexAgs Radio on Thursday and discussed a host of different options for the draft and how each option he looks at has some kind of pitfall. That interview can be found HERE (Premium) or on Spotify and Apple Music if you'd like to listen (Rogers joined in the final 30 minutes of Thursday's show).

If you cancel the draft, you take away that leverage year from draft-eligible juniors and take away life-changing money from guys who stand to make it (like Asa). Off of that, all of the high school prospects who would've signed with a big-league organization would then have to enroll in the university they signed with.

If that happens, I would greatly impact the talent level across college baseball with those top-tier high schoolers entering the game and the draft-eligible sophomores and juniors that would've gone early come back. Throw in the eligibility relief and you'd see the seniors come back. Imagine if this had hit last year and guys like Antoine Duplantis or Jake Mangum got to come back for a 5th season.

This entire situation, regardless of what Major League Baseball decides to do with the draft, is going to create a big-time roster/scholarship strain on college baseball. It will be very interesting to see what the future holds for Asa, college baseball and baseball as a whole. I'm not sure what the right move is.
Alpha Texan
AG
this would result in next year's draft being doubly stacked. it won't happen.
Buck Compton
AG
twk said:

The key item in that article is the amount of money that MLB could save by postponing the draft: $400 million.

They are looking for ways to save money, while at the same time, expecting to incur some unprecedented costs in the form of possible support payments to minor leaguers and venue staff. Cutting out signing bonuses would be one relatively easy way to do this.

The article talks about teams losing draft position, but nobody tanks in baseball to improve their draft position. Yes, teams will shed salary and endure years of losing to rebuild, but it's not about positioning themselves for the top draft pick. The baseball draft is just too big of a crapshoot for that to make sense, so I think the author of that article is way off base in thinking that the teams who have high picks in this years draft would lose a lot of sleep over losing their draft position. Yes, they might regret not having a year's intake, but everyone would be in the same boat.
This shows a very incomplete understanding of the MLB Amateur Draft.

Yes, high picks are definitely highly valued. What do you think the Astros did 6-8 years ago with their 100-loss seasons? Not only are high picks valued for the prospects, they're valued for the slot bonus money that you can use to sign later picks above slot value.

Having a high pick gives you so much extra flexibility in your other selections that many times it can allow you to draft a first round talent along with multiple second/third/fourth round talents.

No solution is good right now, but I really don't think skipping the draft is the way to go. For many of the reasons you mentioned and the impact on college baseball, but also for the MLB to maintain a stable for future years and keep a full roster in the minors.
W
AG
MLB needs to conduct a draft in 2020. May have to push it back to July or August.

as previously mentioned...the killer for MLB...is that every player will potentially have leverage. MLB doesn't like that.

each team usually loads up on 5 to 10 college seniors for whom they can give small singing bonuses to...and then use that money elsewhere
Mr.Ackar07
If MLB skips the draft this year, then every college player should be eligible for the draft next year regardless of college service time to help clear out the college rosters.
Wildman15
AG
Freaking called it. That sucks if this becomes finalized
Buck Compton
AG
Is there some new information, or are you just responding to the rumors of this thread from 2-3 days ago?
ptothemo
AG
Latest update that I have seen.....

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28957785/sources-mlb-mlbpa-close-deal-draft-service
W
AG
whoa, if the draft is only 5 rounds...and non-drafted players can only be offered $20,000...

going to be some serious talent on college campuses for the 2021 season
W
AG
on the flipside...if the roster size is not increased and/or the 11.7 scholarships increased for the 2021 season...gonna see a lot of trapdoor action across the country to clear space
EMY92
AG
Not only the scholarship limit, but the roster size.

That said, I do not see the NCAA upping the scholarship limit. Too many schools lose money on all of the Spring sports, they aren't going to be willing to up the losses.
Agsncws
AG
I think we see 5 rounds. I think we see an influx of HS talent. I think we see higher levels of returning players. I dont think we see much increase in scholarships. Trapdooring occurs. Lots of kids on the minimum scholarship that can be offered. I think we see a fairly significant # of elite high schoolers go juco. Might be a stretch but a "super juco" squad might bubble up.
2020P.O.
Not many scenarios look good for current high schoolers. Crowded out of the draft, and higher % trapdoored in college.

I suppose the entire ordeal won't be fair to anyone.
mwlkr
AG
MLB is also negotiating with MiLB to reduce the number of minor league affiliates. If this reduction happens, it will dramatically reduce the opportunity to play pro ball.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.