Preseason SEC Softball Rankings -- Are we really this bad??

7,990 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Goro Majima
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wooahhhh said:

A pretty good team is subjective. They had players that left prior to last season that didn't help their season's record, so were they a pretty good team before that happened or after? I'm not getting into why they left, whose fault it was they left or all the drama (it happens on all teams), I'm just saying what happened. Did you know that happened Bullpen Chias? imo, it may have impacted the team's season record vs. expectations for the team's season record.

1 year's recruiting cycle won't always be a quick fix. She's had the facility for a full year now, not the understated stadium in the past, so maybe we should check her recruiting to make sure it picks back up, which in turn would help the team. The freshmen pitchers alone stand out to me as something we haven't seen in a while.

Good post. We need to remember (without getting into the why of the matter and who's to blame) that not only was the program going to be in a bit of a rebuilding year with the graduation of Vidales, Walters, Russel and Harrington, but they lost what was essentially a second class in Show, Hudek, Milligan and Alderink. That's going to be a 2 year fix because you're having to replace 2 recruiting cycles in 1 offseason.
FayetteAg82
AG
Jo needs to go. She passed on recruiting Missy Zoch of La Grange, who is now the top pitcher at Texas Tech and was just named the High school pitcher of the decade!
Goro Majima
AG
FayetteAg82 said:

Jo needs to go. She passed on recruiting Missy Zoch of La Grange, who is now the top pitcher at Texas Tech and was just named the High school pitcher of the decade!
I've heard that she's actually quite a lazy recruiter, so I agree with you.
Wooahhhh
AG
Top 10 ranked class in the nation (FloSoftball #7) and you've heard she is a lazy recruiter? Maybe you're right, they probably fell into her lap. I've heard kids pick different colored darts & depending on which dart gets closest to the bullseye, they choose that school and their colors.

Artimus Gordon
We got two players from LaGrange, Blake Ann Fritsch Sr. & Sydney Fritsch Fr.? How did we miss
out on Miss Zoch? This makes no sense at all. Never hurts to have too many good pitchers. Somebody obviously dropped the ball here.
Belton Ag
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

We got two players from LaGrange, Blake Ann Fritsch Sr. & Sydney Fritsch Fr.? How did we miss
out on Miss Zoch? This makes no sense at all. Never hurts to have too many good pitchers. Somebody obviously dropped the ball here.
This is a joke, right?

You guys complain all the time the Evans doesn't recruit enough elite pitchers, now you're complaining when she doesn't recruit a pitcher who would not be an elite SEC pitcher.
Artimus Gordon
Actually there have been a few pitcher's on Jo's roster in the past few years that are not SEC quality pitchers. And on top of that, they show no signs of developing.

And that's No Joke!
Belton Ag
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

Actually there have been a few pitcher's on Jo's roster in the past few years that are not SEC quality pitchers. And on top of that, they show no signs of developing.

And that's No Joke!
And here you are whining that she didn't take another.
Artimus Gordon
Or she could learn to use the transfer portal to her advantage. Ship out the pitchers that are not going to help and sign a reknown freshman in their place.
Belton Ag
AG
OK, fine. What does that have to do with this pitcher at Tech you got so worked up about?

pudge
Belton,

That poll is not what I would think it should be for sure.
1. A&M should be much better than last
2. LSU should not be ranked 3rd right now.

People seem to forget the influence that Craig has had the past few years with the FSU hitters. Herzog's coming back to CS already knowing how he functions should be a great head start for her.

He is so well respected, that when he spoke last on Friday afternoon at my conference on the 10th, the room was still almost completely full with HS and travel coaches very attentive to what he had to say. (I had 675 show up starting the afternoon of the 9th and usually the last session, everyone is ready to go home.)

Belton, you know my support of the LSU program, but I just don't see us that high right now. Not saying that we couldn't be that high, but our pitching staff still has to step it up another notch to get that high.

Also, 3 of the infield positions will be new with2 freshman starters and our 1B moving to 3B, so there's a lot of uncertainty there. Talent wise, Beth has great players, but you never know if the light has turned on until the umpire yells "Play Ball!"

I fully expect the Mississippi schools to drag arse at the bottom of the league, especially Ole Miss. The fiasco there will continue to haunt them for a couple of years.... probably more. State just doesn't draw the talent to compete at the top of the SEC.

I fully expect and hope that A&M makes a big run to challenge the top teams and get back to the level that my Aggie friends and neighbors expect.
TexasAggie81
She should have been fired a long time ago.
Captain Pablo
AG
You people thinking Jo is not, or shouldn't be, on the hot seat are absolutely not living in reality
Belton Ag
AG
I'm not sure there is a single person on this thread that doesn't think Evans is on the hot seat. And probably nobody in this thread that doesn't think she shouldn't be.
Captain Pablo
AG
Belton Ag said:

I'm not sure there is a single person on this thread that doesn't think Evans is on the hot seat. And probably nobody in this thread that doesn't think she shouldn't be.

Oh ok

I was referring to your 2 year rebuild remark
Captain Pablo
AG
And you have gone to the mat defending Jo in this thread
Belton Ag
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Belton Ag said:

Oh ok

I was referring to your 2 year rebuild remark
I figured as much. I'm just stating what happened and what it will probably take to fix it, given what we know.

The whole hot seat discussion is a separate, but related to be sure, topic.
Belton Ag
AG
Captain Pablo said:

And you have gone to the mat defending Jo in this thread
Is that so?

You might want to go ahead and reread what I wrote, only this time pay attention.
Chapa96
AG
Just lost to UTA....again.....horrible
Belton Ag
AG
Geez. Jo's certainly not doing herself any favors this weekend.
Goro Majima
AG
Yes, we're really that bad.
Chapa96
AG
Does anyone know the classifications of the starters used so far? Are we "young"?
Goro Majima
AG
I think they're mostly sophomores. Jo Evans is out of excuses. I think she needs to hang it up.
country
AG
Early to mid year departure if this keeps up.
sharpdressedman
Snider is auditioning this year for the HC job. Last year's choice could not be money-whipped. So say two persons on campus who are in the know.
Goro Majima
AG
Who was last year's choice?
Rambotx
This weekend's starting lineup (Count depends on who is pitching):

3 - Seniors
1 - Junior
4 - Sophomores
1 - Freshman

2020 Team Total:

5 - Seniors
4 - Juniors
8 - Sophomores
8 - Freshmen
lbasham
AG
3 Seniors McBride 1B/pitcher, Fortenberry cf, Martinez rf, 1 Junior Walls/Elder 3b, 3 Sophomores Lee c,/1b,
Herzog p/lf, Smith dp, Garcia 2b, and 2 Freshmen Ackerman lf/rf and Campbell ss started our latest game an extra inning loss to UTA

We are not solid on defense currently and have not hit enough in our four games thus far imho. I believe Campbell will be a star, Herzog , McBride, Garcia, Lee and Fortenberry are solid and others tbd currently.

Poynter did pitch a 1 hitter today for a positive.
Scarborough Ag
SeenNotHeard
AG
Ackerman is going to be a stud. Meagan Smith hit 3 HRs so far this weekend. I know people just want to complain. But the future is bright for this team.
Wooster
SeenNotHeard said:

Ackerman is going to be a stud. Meagan Smith hit 3 HRs so far this weekend. I know people just want to complain. But the future is bright for this team.

The futures is always bright, until it transfers.
Goro Majima
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

Ackerman needs to be a stud IMMEDIATELY if you want Jo to keep coaching.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.