Preseason SEC Softball Rankings -- Are we really this bad??

7,989 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Goro Majima
MidTnAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2020 SEC Preseason Softball Poll
1. Alabama (11) 143
2. Tennessee (2) 129
3. LSU 117
4. Kentucky 101
5. Florida 92
6. Georgia 84
7. Arkansas 80
8. Ole Miss 62
9. South Carolina 56
10. Missouri 54
11. Auburn 52
12. Mississippi State 22
12. Texas A&M - 22

We are way down at the bottom of the pile.
This can't be right, can it?
Marvin
AG
Well that's where they were last year and it's where I expect them to be again this year. Thank Coach Evans for her revolving door of a locker room and her abject failure at recruiting stud pitchers.
Artimus Gordon
Unfortunately that is how far the program has fallen. In a very short time too!
Reno Hightower
If Vandy had a team they'd be ahead of us too.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I'm assuming this is an attempt at humor?
CapCityAg89
AG
Note that it still may be an NCAA team. We're not as good as we were but the sec is absolutely brutal.
Marvin
AG
Coach Evans can no longer complain about facilities,as the university ponied up for Davis Diamond. She can't blame the roster turnover, as she recruited every single kid. She can't blame the SEC slate because even the traditionally bad teams have passed up her program.

She better overachieve this year. No excuses.
Belton Ag
AG
I expect them to be much improved over last year and would be really surprised to see them finish dead last again.

The pitching situation alone this year will be radically different.

The quirk of the SEC schedule has us playing only 2 teams that are predicted to finish in the top 5 on that list.

And despite last year's record A&M has not been "passed up" as a program by the traditionally bad teams in the SEC. Hell, both the Mississippi programs have brand new head coaches this year. I'd at least like to see how A&M stacks up against them before declaring they have passed A&M.
Great2BeAnAGGIE
AG
I thought facilities have always been used for a lack of quality coaching?
Guess it's time for a new coach.
Belton Ag
AG
Great2BeAnAGGIE said:

I thought facilities have always been used for a lack of quality coaching?
Guess it's time for a new coach.
Did you think the stadium would be imbued by magic? Where over a period of 6 months the entire program, players and coaches, would instantly transform into a championship caliber program?

The stadium has been open for a week, why haven't they won the World Series yet?
Marvin
AG
Belton Ag said:

I expect them to be much improved over last year and would be really surprised to see them finish dead last again.

The pitching situation alone this year will be radically different.

The quirk of the SEC schedule has us playing only 2 teams that are predicted to finish in the top 5 on that list.

And despite last year's record A&M has not been "passed up" as a program by the traditionally bad teams in the SEC. Hell, both the Mississippi programs have brand new head coaches this year. I'd at least like to see how A&M stacks up against them before declaring they have passed A&M.

Belton-

I always appreciate your posts and I respect your opinion as you are obviously closer to the program than I am. I'm just a retired bucket sitter of 18 years who sweated/froze through a gazillion games from pixie through college. I got the basics but am not an expert by any means. I still watch games when I can but only from the comfort of my sofa, haha.

My point, maybe overstated, is that other coaches expect A&M to be one of the worst teams again. I hope our AD expects much more, and does so this year.
Belton Ag
AG
Marvin said:

Belton-

I always appreciate your posts and I respect your opinion as you are obviously closer to the program than I am. I'm just a retired bucket sitter of 18 years who sweated/froze through a gazillion games from pixie through college. I got the basics but am not an expert by any means. I still watch games when I can but only from the comfort of my sofa, haha.

My point, maybe overstated, is that other coaches expect A&M to be one of the worst teams again. I hope our AD expects much more, and does so this year.
And I respect your points, too.

I don't want to come across as dismissive of your views because you're obviously invested - both in money and emotional capital - as am I.

I'm not as attached emotionally to the other sports at Texas A&M as I am softball & baseball (I don't post all that much about baseball because there are others here who know more about the sport than I could learn who post what I'm thinking anyways - and more articulately).

It's true the other coaches don't expect much from this program this year & it's disappointing that we're in this position. What matters most though is what the girls in our program expect of themselves, and what the coaching staff expects from themselves and their players. I'm positive their goals haven't changed because of this and from looking at it I just don't see what the SEC coaches are seeing.

In the circle, we should see Kendall Potts pick up where she left off. Remember, at the beginning of the year last year she was coming off a 2 year recovery and was very inconsistent, but she regained her form throughout the year and at the end was pretty salty in the circle. I expect an offseason of training will have helped even more. Herzog will likely be the no 2 and had a 1.56 ERA in 20 appearances last year at Florida State. McBride will probably slide back into the long relief role she had prior to last season, which is her strong suit. Add into the mix a veteran arm in Poynter and a couple of Top 100 recruits and the new rotation should be vastly improved over last year.

Offensively the Ags lost a lot when Sartain graduated, she had the highest OB% in the program. They also lost a lot of potential with the transfer of Klingler, but her numbers last year aren't exactly hard to replace. The addition of Snider is probably the most intriguing storyline this year, he's pretty respected in the softball world and it was a nice coup when he came over from Florida State. There are 3 or 4 pretty good hitters returning and at least one that is dymanite in Campbell coming in. Overall the Ags hit .273 last year which was their lowest output in 5 years. With the pitching they face in conference I can easily see that average increasing as they will manage to duck most of the best staffs in the league (like LSU). It would be nice to have at least one elite batter like Fortenberry touch the .400 range; that's probably the biggest hole in the lineup - the lack of 1 or 2 elite hitters like we've had in the past in Vidales. Campbell is one that has that potential.

Defense is the biggest question mark to me. I feel like first base will be set with McBride, second with Garcia and shortstop with Campbell (an elite recruit), but I don't know who will play the hot corner. We might see Campbell play there with shortstop manned by Walls or one of the newcomers. Lee will start at Catcher, and she's a good one. Fortenberry is entrenched at CF and I'd look at some of the speedier players like Sinnie or Fritsch to play the other OF positions.

Last year, going into the season there were numerous holes in the program that I was dreading to see. I was really down and wasn't at all surprised to see what we saw last year. This year is completely different. I genuinely expect us to make a run at hosting a regional. I know we want more out of this program. I get it. I want more too.

Even though some people complain about the record, the stadium is paying off in the form of recruiting, and I think this year is the first year you will start to see it translate to wins. Next year and the following is when it will begin to kick in fully as the recruits it's helping with get on campus. Evans has proven that she wins a lot with elite talent, and elite talent is beginning to come into the program in a way it hasn't in the past. It might take another year for it to bear real fruit but I think we'll see some of it this season.
Tex100
AG
Marvin said:

Coach Evans can no longer complain about facilities,as the university ponied up for Davis Diamond. She can't blame the roster turnover, as she recruited every single kid. She can't blame the SEC slate because even the traditionally bad teams have passed up her program.

Are there traditionally bad SEC teams?
mullokmotx
AG
Not anymore. Arkansas and the Mississippi schools were not normally in the NCAA Tournament when we joined the SEC but all 13 teams have made it the last 3 seasons. Not sure if Missouri is eligible this year
KBAGOLFER
This team will be 100x better because of two things: Coach Snider and Herzog. You can look up these two. Also do all yourselves a favor and look up 12th man on Spotify and listen to the Softball Podcast.

This team is going to be much improved on mound, more athletic, and 1000000x better hitting approach and disciplined under the last batting coach.
Marvin
AG
Tex100 said:

Marvin said:

t's good to hear several fans have higher expectations. I look forward to seeing improvement.
Colt98
AG
We will be way better than we were last year and should be in the hunt for hosting a regional in my opinion. Absolutely no way we are the bottom of the sec.
BanderaAg956
Yes, that is what happens when everyone leaves.
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Tex100
AG
Marvin said:

Tex100 said:

Marvin said:

t's good to hear several fans have higher expectations. I look forward to seeing improvement.
https://a.espncdn.com/sec/softball/2019/Weekly%20Release.pdf

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/softball/d1/2019

Not that I don't think we can;t, and will, do better, but last year the entire SEC conference was in the NCAA tournament. There aren't any bad SEC teams.
Boozer92
AG
Before you put too much stock in this preseason prediction put that list against last years standings. I would guess more than half the coaches just turned in last years standings. No real incentive for any of them to be honest in these rankings. Even less incentive for them care.

I would be shocked if this team doesn't finish upper half of the league. I expect most coaches in this league believe the same. They generally recruit the same players. They know what A&M brought in with the Freshman class plus Herzog and Murray. The schedule is great for A&M win loss record for sure. They should host postseason this year but a lot may ride on the 3 games in a row against Arizona, OU and UCLA because rest of non conference is soft along with missing other top SEC teams.

I think we are a year away from deep runs in the WCWS but the record may look like we are ahead of schedule this year. Enjoy the ride. Anyone who follows this team deserves it after sitting through last year.
AggieDad0323
Belton Ag said:

Marvin said:

Belton-

And I respect your points, too.

I don't want to come across as dismissive of your views because you're obviously invested - both in money and emotional capital - as am I.

I'm not as attached emotionally to the other sports at Texas A&M as I am softball & baseball (I don't post all that much about baseball because there are others here who know more about the sport than I could learn who post what I'm thinking anyways - and more articulately).

It's true the other coaches don't expect much from this program this year & it's disappointing that we're in this position. What matters most though is what the girls in our program expect of themselves, and what the coaching staff expects from themselves and their players. I'm positive their goals haven't changed because of this and from looking at it I just don't see what the SEC coaches are seeing.

In the circle, we should see Kendall Potts pick up where she left off. Remember, at the beginning of the year last year she was coming off a 2 year recovery and was very inconsistent, but she regained her form throughout the year and at the end was pretty salty in the circle. I expect an offseason of training will have helped even more. Herzog will likely be the no 2 and had a 1.56 ERA in 20 appearances last year at Florida State. McBride will probably slide back into the long relief role she had prior to last season, which is her strong suit. Add into the mix a veteran arm in Poynter and a couple of Top 100 recruits and the new rotation should be vastly improved over last year.

Offensively the Ags lost a lot when Sartain graduated, she had the highest OB% in the program. They also lost a lot of potential with the transfer of Klingler, but her numbers last year aren't exactly hard to replace. The addition of Snider is probably the most intriguing storyline this year, he's pretty respected in the softball world and it was a nice coup when he came over from Florida State. There are 3 or 4 pretty good hitters returning and at least one that is dymanite in Campbell coming in. Overall the Ags hit .273 last year which was their lowest output in 5 years. With the pitching they face in conference I can easily see that average increasing as they will manage to duck most of the best staffs in the league (like LSU). It would be nice to have at least one elite batter like Fortenberry touch the .400 range; that's probably the biggest hole in the lineup - the lack of 1 or 2 elite hitters like we've had in the past in Vidales. Campbell is one that has that potential.

Defense is the biggest question mark to me. I feel like fist base will be set with McBride, second with Garcia and shortstop with Campbell (an elite recruit), but I don't know who will play the hot corner. We might see Campbell play there with shortstop manned by Walls or one of the newcomers. Lee will start at Catcher, and she's a good one. Fortenberry is entrenched at CF and I'd look at some of the speedier players like Sinnie or Fritsch to play the other OF positions.

Last year, going into the season there were numerous holes in the program that I was dreading to see. I was really down and wasn't at all surprised to see what we saw last year. This year is completely different. I genuinely expect us to make a run at hosting a regional. I know we want more out of this program. I get it. I want more too.

Even though some people complain about the record, the stadium is paying off in the form of recruiting, and I think this year is the first year you will start to see it translate to wins. Next year and the following is when it will begin to kick in fully as the recruits it's helping with get on campus. Evans has proven that she wins a lot with elite talent, and elite talent is beginning to come into the program in a way it hasn't in the past. It might take another year for it to bear real fruit but I think we'll see some of it this season.

Belton always makes great points and fair analysis and I enjoy reading his posts. There are some dynamic returners that will be x factors in this year's production. A quiet workhorse is Morgan Smith. Check out her numbers versus ABs compared to others last year. She quietly contributed .294 BA her freshmen year. She has a twin sister Meagan also on the team. She hardly got any at bats last year (3) but I believe she will be a weapon as well this year. Freshmen Campbell and transfer Herzog also bring two huge bats to the offense.

Snider seems to be making a huge impact with the bats too. RAWLINGS Bats are out too by the way. I think they're swinging Louisville's this year.

Also, IMO we didn't utilize the the speed of Sinnie and Jatzlau as much as we could have. I think that will also improve this year in SB attempts by also adding speedy tar Ferguson to the mix.

Boozer92
AG
I noticed at the fall games they weren't Rawlings but I thought they were Eastons. My eye sight from back row is bad so may have been LS bats with colors I didn't recognize. Different for sure either way
AggieDad0323
Boozer92 said:

I noticed at the fall games they weren't Rawlings but I thought they were Eastons. My eye sight from back row is bad so may have been LS bats with colors I didn't recognize. Different for sure either way

I agree with you as well. I believe they are going to shock many teams this year and finish well ahead of some teams on this list and possibly play spoiler to one or two.
BigBubbaAggie82
Well for the sake of the program I hope you all are right! We are far better than what we have shown these last few years.
Colt98
AG
D1 softball just came out with their preseason top 25. 10 SEC teams made the list. Aggie's and miss schools are only ones not on it from sec.
Goro Majima
AG
Honestly, I don't care for preseason rankings.

In our case, I've grown quite fond of Aggie Softball but have gone from wanting to run through a wall for Coach Evans to wanting her gone.

2017 was magical but then after I did little research, Jo seems to have been more mediocre in SEC play other than that year.

The 2018 super regional losses were both absolutely inexcusable and last year in its entirety was inexcusable. Also I honestly don't know how you manage to lose Sam Show, Keeli Milligan AND Sarah Hudek.

I think we certainly have the potential to improve because last year felt like rock ****ing bottom but I'll believe it when I see it.
Outlaw0206
AG
If the Lady Ags don't perform well this year, I 100% expect Jo to be out, in short order of course! Same with Rob and the baseball program.
Wooahhhh
AG
I'm looking forward to watching the freshmen. The pitchers, Daugherty from California & Ackerman from Arizona. Big time recruits; tall right-handers, hoping they have an impact & provide depth. 3 IF's & 2 OF's including Robert Ferguson's (A&M & Green Bay WR) daughter, a base-stealing OF. And Campbell, who has a huge HS resume; that bat will be needed. It should be a rebound year.

I wish they were coming to Clearwater in February for the St.Pete Clearwater Elite. 40 televised games starting Thursday, Feb 13th
Marvin
AG
Wooahhhh said:

I'm looking forward to watching the freshmen. The pitchers, Daugherty from California & Ackerman from Arizona. Big time recruits; tall right-handers, hoping they have an impact & provide depth. 3 IF's & 2 OF's including Robert Ferguson's (A&M & Green Bay WR) daughter, a base-stealing OF. And Campbell, who has a huge HS resume; that bat will be needed. It should be a rebound year.

I wish they were coming to Clearwater in February for the St.Pete Clearwater Elite. 40 televised games starting Thursday, Feb 13th

Good info, thanks.
Goro Majima
AG
Outlaw0206 said:

If the Lady Ags don't perform well this year, I 100% expect Jo to be out, in short order of course! Same with Rob and the baseball program.
I'm ready for it!
AggieDad0323
Wooahhhh said:

Agreed! There's a lot of talent in that class. Clearwater would have been an exciting tournament to watch the Aggies play in as well.
Bullpen Chias
AG
A pretty good team opened the doors to the new ballpark. Now that there's a new ballpark wouldn't it stand to reason we shouldn't be going backwards. I understand the new building doesn't fix everything, I'm just wondering why we've gotten worse in the new ballpark.
Wooahhhh
AG
A pretty good team is subjective. They had players that left prior to last season that didn't help their season's record, so were they a pretty good team before that happened or after? I'm not getting into why they left, whose fault it was they left or all the drama (it happens on all teams), I'm just saying what happened. Did you know that happened Bullpen Chias? imo, it may have impacted the team's season record vs. expectations for the team's season record.

1 year's recruiting cycle won't always be a quick fix. She's had the facility for a full year now, not the understated stadium in the past, so maybe we should check her recruiting to make sure it picks back up, which in turn would help the team. The freshmen pitchers alone stand out to me as something we haven't seen in a while.
Goro Majima
AG
Wooahhhh said:

A pretty good team is subjective. They had players that left prior to last season that didn't help their season's record, so were they a pretty good team before that happened or after? I'm not getting into why they left, whose fault it was they left or all the drama (it happens on all teams), I'm just saying what happened. Did you know that happened Bullpen Chias?
I personally blame the coach for letting it happen.

That 2018 team could have made a deep run in OKC but Jo had to not use Sam Show AND Lex Smith at all in Gainesville and left Trin Harrington out to dry because of her stupid pride.
Wooahhhh
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.