How Was Baseball's Recruiting Class?

8,879 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by coloradoag69
TKNR_Ags_co21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Before anyone flames away, I understand that this isn't football rankings and there is also a huge influence from the draft for who actually makes it on campus. I also know, and it's demonstrated below, that the rankings vary wildly depending on the reporting outlet but you tend to see familiar names in the top 10-15.

That being said here are the rankings from various outlets...

Baseball America:
1. tu [sip grad buddy says the class is heavy with top 10 round guys so many wont make it to campus]
2. Vandy
3. Arkansas
4. UCLA
5. Miss State
6. Florida
7. OU (...what??)
8. Miami
9. LSU
10. Arizona St.
12. TCU
14. South Carolina

Ags are not in top 15

Perfect Game [Top 100 players]:
1. Vandy [6]
2. Miami [6]
3. Arkansas [7]
4. LSU [5]
5. Florida [5]
6. South Carolina [3]
7. UCLA [5]
8. North Carolina [3]
9. Texas Tech [1]
10. Miss State [6]
12. tu [4]
13. TCU [3]
23. Tennessee [1]
24. Ole Miss [2]
25. Kentucky [1]
26. UGA [zero]
31. Mizzou [zero]
33. Baylor [zero]
36. Texas A&M [zero]

So this is either...
A) Nothing.. nothing at all to be made of this because recruiting rankings don't indicate direct success and the draft pilfers the top recruits away anyway

or

B) ....Maybe this is a result of our recent shortcomings and we don't have the regional program appeal that we all believe that we have in the eyes of recruits
Basketball and Chain
AG
Wouldn't worry about it right now because: (1) spring signing period and (2) MLB draft.
wareagle044
Don't see Auburn on those lists either and they're coming off a trip to Omaha so I would say your B is irrelevant
2020P.O.
Saw several of the top rated kids multiple times in this class. Schues and Targac rake with big power - both are easily/arguably top 100. Tucker worked thru injury most of the year and fell in rankings from borderline top 100.But hit 94 at end of the year.. Curtis/Harrison/Anderson were a little bit of late bloomers and it's hard to break in rankings if you were not there by 13-14yrs old. Hollan is a tall lefty baller...put him on the mound and ride the entire game - add strength/weight and is a weekend starter. Kobe is a stud...regardless of ranking. Detmer also blew up late hitting 93 and With good junk. Some of the rest I can't say I saw play enough to have any opinion...good or bad.

The good thing is most of this group is right on that edge of the draft whereas they actually show up to school. It may not have the flashy draftees...but those don't matter anyway

I can say in knowing a couple of them..they had offers to any school in the country.
Captain Pablo
AG
Concerning
ColoradoMooseHerd
Captain Pablo said:

Concerning

What a surprise that Captain Pablo thinks it's concerning
Captain Pablo
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Captain Pablo said:

Concerning

What a surprise that Captain Pablo thinks it's concerning

You get surprised easy!

Your complacency is duly noted though. As it has been through years of mediocrity
Deerhunter04
AG
We can give a lot of excuses about how maybe this kid deserves a top 100 ranking or other teams may not have all those kids show up to school because of draft. But the fact remains that those schools in the top 10 are perennial World Series contenders. We should be in that company if that is where we want to be. I really like Coach Childress, but unless we outperform our expectations this year, it may be his last.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
2020P.O.
Doesn't help with his contract situation the way it is. I understand why it is the way it is...but no doubt kids are watching. Hopefully they can go on a good run this year and things can get firmed up. Pitching should be great....and invent some bats.
TheAngelFlight
wareagle044 said:

Don't see Auburn on those lists either and they're coming off a trip to Omaha so I would say your B is irrelevant

Well, one singular example doesn't disprove (or prove) anything. Also, recruiting of this class began a long time before the most recent CWS was played.
Deerhunter04
AG
Username checks out
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rrtodds
AG
See leadoff post above.

Thanks for info about the baseball fall signing ... for us lowly non premium readers.

Maybe the Texags gods could bless us with similar posts of the rest of the fall signing sports ... esp women's and men's basketball.
Sam75
Captain Pablo
AG
rrtodds said:

See leadoff post above.

Thanks for info about the baseball fall signing ... for us lowly non premium readers.

Maybe the Texags gods could bless us with similar posts of the rest of the fall signing sports ... esp women's and men's basketball.

Your stars indicate you ARE a premium subscriber

Do you just pay for it and not read it?
deh40
AG
2020P.O. said:

Doesn't help with his contract situation the way it is. I understand why it is the way it is...but no doubt kids are watching. Hopefully they can go on a good run this year and things can get firmed up. Pitching should be great....and invent some bats.
He's under contract through 2021. If he doesn't at least host a Super this year, he will likely not make it through that. Just dont understand why he feels it necessary to keep dipping into Nebraska, last year to Canada and this year to Hawaii for players. There is more than enough talent within three hours of campus to field a championship team.
jkag89
Who from last year's team was from Canada?
Who on the current roster is from Hawaii?

Edit: The current TCU roster shows 6 players from out of state with only one from a state considered a hot bed of baseball talent (California). Other non-Texans on the Froggie roster come from Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Colorado and Tennessee.
Captain Pablo
AG
deh40 said:

2020P.O. said:

He's under contract through 2021. If he doesn't at least host a Super this year, he will likely not make it through that. Just dont understand why he feels it necessary to keep dipping into Nebraska, last year to Canada and this year to Hawaii for players. There is more than enough talent within three hours of campus to field a championship team.
If Woodward had his way, Childress wouldn't be back THIS year

This isn't pot banger material. TexAgs staff has even scratched their heads for years as to why Rob allows his program to experience the voids in offensive talent that he does

It'll get critical, and then he goes out and gets some offensive talent, and the team improves enough for him to stay employed

Then, here we are again, except is he going out and getting the offensive talent he needs?

It is a legitimate question as to why Rob gets beat for local talent. The so-called baseball regulars have been nothing but dismissive of questions as to why Rob has trouble getting top talent from his own back yard, and why the talent is headed elsewhere. TexAgs staff has even been critical, but his loyal subject's around here ain't having it

I sure hate to see this getting started so early

I held off for the last several years because I thought Rob was doing well enough to stay employed, and when he wasn't, recent trips to the supers made me think it was fair to see if he could get it right.

But I've had enough, and so has everyone else with any common sense.
jkag89
Quote:

If Woodward had his way, Childress wouldn't be back THIS year.
If he decided to remain our AD, maybe RC would have been shown the door. On the other hand it was Woodward that gave RC the extension that has so many here weeping, wailing and gnashing their teeth over.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
jkag89 said:

Who from last year's team was from Canada?
Who on the current roster is from Hawaii?

Edit: The current TCU roster shows 6 players from out of state with only one from a state considered a hot bed of baseball talent (California). Other non-Texans on the Froggie roster come from Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Colorado and Tennessee.

We signed a player from Canada last year that went in the first round of the draft. One of our current signees is from Hawaii. He is currently a junior in high school
jkag89
Thanks

So deh40 is complaining about RC signing someone with enough promise to be selected in the first round of the MLB draft simply because he is from Canada and not closer to home? Um OK.
Captain Pablo
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

If Woodward had his way, Childress wouldn't be back THIS year.
If he decided to remain our AD, maybe RC would have been shown the door. On the other hand it was Woodward that gave RC the extension that has so many here weeping, wailing and gnashing their teeth over.

Yes he did

I didn't really have a problem with the Childress extension

It was not completely insane, like the Kennedy and Sumlin extensions

Rob is fireable Without bankrupting A&M

Sumlin was untouchable until 2017.

Kennedy ended up Being fired, but it was expensive as hell. I have heard that Sharp was absolutely not on board with the Kennedy firing, and it caused a lot of friction between the chancellor and the athletic director.

I have also heard that Woodward was ready to fire Childress but was overruled
deh40
AG
jkag89 said:

Thanks

So deh40 is complaining about RC signing someone with enough promise to be selected in the first round of the MLB draft simply because he is from Canada and not closer to home? Um OK.
He and staff spent time recruiting someone 1000's of miles away that they had no chance of ever getting on campus. Yep, seems like a great use of time and resources to me. I think last years and this years recruiting classes both ranked in the 30's. Getting his ass kicked by Tech, tu, Baylor and TCU in state and about 11 SEC teams.
Captain Pablo
AG
I do not believe Rob will coach A&M in 2020 with only one year remaining on his contract

2019 is make or break

Either he'll do well enough to get an extension past 2021, or he will be out the door
Lemmys Rickenbacker
jkag89 said:

Thanks

Yup, complaining without the facts.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Our recent Nebraska players include:

-Kyle Simonds: 14-5 record in 2 seasons with the Aggies, All-American honorable mention as a senior, 11th overall in Aggie history with a 2.53 career ERA, and a no-hitter against Vanderbilt (a feat that hadn't been accomplished in 22 years). He also gave up 0 runs in our 2015 postseason while recording a save, and went 2-0 in starts in the 2016 postseason

-Nolan Hoffman: Tied the season saves record at 14, led the team in appearances and ERA (1.15). He struck out 53 batters in 55 innings while only walking 11. He was one of the most effective pitchers out of the bullpen in recent history and was a 2nd team All American

-Michael Helman: Helman led the team in batting average by over 40 points, hitting .369 on the season and .339 in the SEC. He was also 3rd in homers, and 1st in slugging/hits/runs/OPS/doubles/total bases. He ended up All-SEC 2nd team and started every game for the Aggies

-Logan Foster: Foster was a freshman All American and made the SEC All-Freshmen team.

I honestly don't get the argument....the staff is going back to Nebraska because look at the results....they're getting great ballplayers. Unless you can somehow quantify that they spent all year in Nebraska and then ran out of time to recruit when they got home, or that there was an even better All-American in Texas that wanted their spot when they came in as jucos, what actual argument exists here? They also played on teams that were almost entirely made up of Texans. These guys put up great numbers for the Aggies, and would have been contributors on any good college baseball team in the country. How these players and their careers as Aggies have somehow turned into an aspect of the program that is consistently used to criticize the coaching staff on here is ridiculous.

Also, the prior recruiting class was ranked #7 by Baseball America

Quote:

There is more than enough talent within three hours of campus to field a championship team.

Then what has the rest of the state been doing the last 15 years? Are they also getting too many Nebraskans, Hawaiians, and Inuits?

jkag89
So is your complaint that Bo Naylor was a Canadian or that there was little chance he would make it to campus?
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
I think the gripe lies within a lot of the points you used to defend RC and his Nebraska recruiting.

Yes the pitchers were great because RC is a fantastic pitching coach. People will always question tick-tacky things about the coach's pitching decisions but our staff's are great and I feel we have the best pitching coach in the country... who just happens to be the skipper.

Helman was putting up those ridiculous numbers in JUCO before he ever came to Olsen. He came in and just kept doing what he did and parlayed it into a one and done draft year. Foster...You hit it on the nose - freshman All-American, freshman accolades. Foster didn't develop at all beyond that first year which has been the major complaint for the better part of RC's recent teams is that the hitters, outside of that one amazing year in 2015, went no where, they were generally not developed and did not get better as they got older. This is why this year is so critical because if we can't get the bats going with our new hitting coach... then what?

SO why the complaints about Nebraska recruiting? If we can't develop our hitters and we always have elite pitching staffs it means that we leave runs, and therefore games, on the table. Fans get frustrated and what do they claim?

"we have one of the best facilities, best fan-bases and most fertile recruiting grounds at our disposal, and we can't win in Omaha." ... but we're trotting out kids from a state that are not of the same caliber as those found in the Houston, DFW, Austin and San Antonio area?

I mean I get it.. if they are great players hell yeah stick them in the lineup, but to win you have to recruit well, and I can guarantee you we are the only team in the SEC that has the state of Nebraska circled on our war map.
Wicked Good Ag
We have one of the best facilities but are probably at best 5-6th in the conference
jkag89
Touting those from Nebraska? The only reason anyone here is pointing out how well those few recruits have performed is it now seems to be the current prime complaint against RC. What many are assuming is that RC spends all his time beating the bushes in Nebraska to find what little talent there is in that state and ignoring Texas. What is more likely IMO is that because of his time with the Huskers he still has in roads with the JUCOs and high schools so get tips that these players have the talent to play big time college baseball. Do not forget that that the Huskers became a college baseball baseball power by bringing talent north from Texas. RC was a big part of why the Huskers were able to draw that talent, so it seems odd to think he ignores it now.

As I already pointed out Schloss recruits beyond the most fertile recruiting grounds and not just in those areas of the country that are considered hot beds of baseball talent.
Agsncws
AG
Frankly, anyone who gives a RATS ASS where a kid comes from that chooses to wear TEXAS A&M on his chest has their own head up their ASS and can get the **** out of here as far as Im concerned. I support every single kid and if you dont, thats on you.
Mr.Ackar07
jkag89 said:

So is your complaint that Bo Naylor was a Canadian or that there was little chance he would make it to campus?
And if the complaint is that there was little chance he would make it to campus, then we would not have gone after Jonathan Childress. You tab a few of those guys hoping one or two every now and then somehow wind up on campus. Turner Larkins was also not supposed to make it to campus and was a huge get at the time even though injuries made his collegiate career non-existent.
Captain Pablo
AG
Agsncws said:

Frankly, anyone who gives a RATS ASS where a kid comes from that chooses to wear TEXAS A&M on his chest has their own head up their ASS and can get the **** out of here as far as Im concerned. I support every single kid and if you dont, thats on you.

Lol

Sanctimonious much?

Look, I don't think that people care where good ball players come from

I think the belief is that Childress is going out of state because he can't recruit Texas effectively

I don't really agree with that, and I think he goes to Nebraska because he has contacts there

And I also don't care where a player comes from. Just win games, and win championships. And if you don't win championships, be competitive in trying, which Rob has not been lately
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
Also I just counted on our current 2020 roster and we have 3 Nebraskans out of around 36 players... so this might have crushed the argument
Agsncws
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Lol

Sanctimonious much?

Look, I don't think that people care where good ball players come from

Very - actually.

I'll disagree with you on your 2nd part. I think there are a number of critical people who do care. They care because their kid plays ball somewhere, or there buddy's kid plays somewhere, or they have ties to a school or travel team that they are speaking up for.

I agree with you 100% that the focus should be "just win". You might note that I have not always agreed with your criticisms, but have supported you several times for bringing forth criticisms that can be defended. Being concerned with our current signing class can be defended. Diverting off to some BS about where a kid is from is not. Let anyone who brought up the Texas thing come back and say they dont care where good players come from. Those who dont - you stood up for and provided false cover.
2020P.O.
They don't hardly go 1000s of miles away to recruit....we understand that right? Too many PG/PBR tourny events where they can look at multiple top rated players at the same time playing against each other. That's pretty much the way it's done nowadays. They MIGHT make a trip to Hawaii to write it off I suppose...but most likely they watched travel ball games in Tomball/Lake Point Georgia etc...rather than Nebraska or Canada. ...nor Llano, Douglass or Groves Tx watching them beat up on cupcakes for that matter.
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.