Brand New Aggie Baseball Book

5,692 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Heath Clary
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those of you like myself who cannot wait for the start of baseball season, I tried to help y'all out as much as possible. I spent the last year with unlimited, unprecedented inside access to the Texas A&M baseball program and wrote a book about everything I saw and experienced.

In the book I explore several key areas of the program and provide a host of interesting, never-told stories along with profiles of the important coaches and players. Big thanks to Gabe for having me on the show this morning to discuss the book (that interview can be found here), and I look forward to all of y'all buying a copy or two and letting me know your feedback.

Also features a foreword by former A&M legend Ross Stripling along with interviews with Tyler Naquin, Nick Banks, Brigham Hill, Brodie Greene, and many, many more!!!

For more information, visit AggieBaseballBook.com.

Lance Uppercut
AG
With a foreword by Texags poster Ross Stripling!
dermdoc
AG
Heath Clary said:

For those of you like myself who cannot wait for the start of baseball season, I tried to help y'all out as much as possible. I spent the last year with unlimited, unprecedented inside access to the Texas A&M baseball program and wrote a book about everything I saw and experienced.

In the book I explore several key areas of the program and provide a host of interesting, never-told stories along with profiles of the important coaches and players. Big thanks to Gabe for having me on the show this morning to discuss the book (that interview can be found here), and I look forward to all of y'all buying a copy or two and letting me know your feedback.

Also features a foreword by former A&M legend Ross Stripling along with interviews with Tyler Naquin, Nick Banks, Brigham Hill, Brodie Greene, and many, many more!!!

For more information, visit AggieBaseballBook.com.

Just bought the Kindle edition, looking forward to the read. Thanks and gig 'em!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
peopleright
AG
Just bought the book (on line version is $9.99) and read the Intro by Stripling, which is worth the price of the book. looking forward to reading the rest of it soon.
DFW Ag
jkag89
peopleright said:

Just bought the book (on line version is $9.99) and read the Intro by Stripling, which is worth the price of the book. looking forward to reading the rest of it soon.
+1. The story in Strips forward is fantastic.
AgFormerlyInIrving
AG
My sister ('84) just bought this for me! Looking forward to reading!
Ag 11
AG
Wife got it for me. I started reading it yesterday to get ready for the season.
TempleAg97
AG
I got it for Christmas. Nice job Heath!
Lance Uppercut
AG
Just finished the book. Here are my thoughts:

-Thanks to Heath for writing this. It's the kind of thing I never expected to exist, but something I was definitely very interested in having. Heath thanks the coaches and players for allowing him this level of access, and I think it's cool that the author, coaches, and team all combined to let us behind the scenes on what goes on during a college baseball season

-The book is very flattering for Coach Childress. Very. I'm sure some of the people that are tired of his tenure might flinch at this, but I think Heath wrote about what he saw. If he'd traveled with the team and ended up hating the staff because they were jerks and saw that most of the players were miserable, I don't think the book has anywhere near the same tone.

-There is a brief area of the book about the lack of success in Omaha....that Childress knows it's the goal of the program and that the fan base expects to take that next step. Gabe steps in to reiterate the Texags conference/money/location argument.

-Apparently you can shake off Coach Childress on the pitches he calls...but you better hope it works or face a "conversation". I think Doxakis and Kalich shake him off in a few interactions. There was also an interesting part about the coaches getting together and persuading Childress to make a move to the bullpen a batter earlier.

-I'd heard from internet rumors that Childress also steps in to influence the offense, but the book seemed to say that Bolt and Seely are pretty much given the reigns for operating on that side. The introduction of Coach Caillat is mentioned briefly.....maybe worth noting, Childress knows him as well, claiming their relationship goes back 15-20 years. A few players are interviewed as well mentioning they're excited to try new methods with a new instructor after how the offense went last year.

-The offensive woes are a consistent subject. How could they not be? The staff preaches through the book that they'll eventually hit their stride, but when they don't, there's a portion where Bolt admits he decided to play for any runs in an inning and hoping they beat the opponent to 4 runs instead of protecting the possibility of a big inning since he had a season's worth of evidence showing him that big innings weren't going to consistently be our thing. Controversial possibly, but interesting. Also shortly following that we hear about the high scoring West Virginia game so who knows.

-Heath traveled to almost all the games with the team, and chronicles some moments of the season I'd forgotten. I forgot we beat Arkansas 2 out of 3 to end the regular season. The crazy back and forth Game 1 in the SEC Tournament with Florida. Lacy in the Alabama series etc.

-I thought it was interesting that in Lacy's ejection the coaches were mad he wasn't given any kind of warning. The book says Lacy yelled "you're terrible"....and that the response from the staff was that they agreed with that assessment.

-There are a few mentions of Texags. By the sounds of it, Childress is oblivious to all our great ideas and tells the team to shut it out, but some of the players end up dropping in to see the special brand of encouragement.

-Shewmake comes off as a good guy. He gave Heath a lot of interviews and was clearly a tough competitor. The Doxakis segments are interesting as well, he's clearly a guy that wishes he could be on the mound all the time.

-I think the main thing I took away from the book were things I'd assumed before, but had illustrated by reading this. Being part of a college athletics team is a ton of work....they have a boot camp, practices, "optional" practices, weight training, meetings with nutritionists, meals, travel, games, and being in college stacked on top of all of that. They put a ton of time and effort into being on the baseball team, and take their lumps along the way (injuries to Hunter Coleman, J. Childress, Frizzell, Hoehner, Blaum, Roa and others are mentioned). And they're doing so on partial scholarships, many because they love the game and a lot of others because they really wanted to play for the name on the front of the jersey as well. So I figured it was a lot, but it was even more than I expected.

There's a lot I left out (the book does cover about a calendar year with the team), and I can't imagine anyone who likes Aggie baseball wouldn't find something to like about this book.

dermdoc
AG
Great post.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Shane Minks
AG
Looking forward to reading this.

Also, if you haven't already read it, Coach Deggs' book 15 to 28 is pretty awesome.
Goro Majima
AG
Of course it's flattering of Childress. Do you think they'd let him near the team if it weren't?

And FWIW, I've been pretty critical of the man but at least he's been consistent and hasn't let the program outright crater like Jo Evans.
Aggies2009
AG
Goro Majima said:

Of course it's flattering of Childress. Do you think they'd let him near the team if it weren't?

And FWIW, I've been pretty critical of the man but at least he's been consistent and hasn't let the program outright crater like Jo Evans.
He had already let him near the team. After the season, he could've published whatever he wanted. But yeah, I'm sure he appreciated being allowed "in".
htxag09
AG
Any plans for a release on Audible?
Aggies2009
AG
Thanks. Gonna try to pick up a copy soon.
Aggieangler93
AG
Seems like, here on Texags, we could get a chance to buy an autographed copy by Heath and Strip. That would be sweet!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Lance Uppercut
AG
Quote:

I actually pointed it out because it was glaring. Take whatever you think I meant by positive and dial it up a notch.

And you can take that as the unavoidable result of anyone who would have been given the opportunity to write this book, but Heath could have removed a chapter and a handful of praise in other places for the coaches and still written what I believe was the intention of the book....a behind the scenes look at a top college baseball team and the sacrifices that being on that team entails.

My own interpretation is that Heath had a healthy respect for the coaching staff and players after spending so much time with them, and so he felt it was important to write a piece of the book about exactly that. The fact that the praise was so effusive makes me think he wrote it because he wanted to, not because he thought he had to or was forced to.
Aggies2009
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

My own interpretation is that Heath had a healthy respect for the coaching staff and players after spending so much time with them, and so he felt it was important to write a piece of the book about exactly that.
Which is pretty natural. It's why radio announcers are homers or guys like Buzz Bissinger were biased towards Permian in Friday Night Lights (although from the sounds of it, Bissinger did a much better job disguising it).
dermdoc
AG
Another great post. From my interactions with the coaches and players Heath is spot on.
bck91
AG
Finished it about two weeks ago and am still reflecting on it pretty much everyday. I was in my college hay day during the '89 season and have always been a big baseball and big Texas A&M baseball fan.

I've been on the fence with our program during Coach's tenure loving the consistency of it and like most, disappointed in the fact we can't get over the hump.

Heath gives a pretty detailed and impartial view into the goings on of the program and I didn't get a sense that it was censored at all as he pretty much says it like it is regarding some players not showing up in shape. It does read very pro the Coaches and I think the reason is that they appear to be very good guys and care a whole lot about their players and have been very successful outside of Omaha.

It's really interesting learning about the advantages in recruiting that other schools enjoy using other avenues to fund scholarships that aren't available to A&M and I assume Texas. It's a major hurdle we have to overcome.

After plenty of thought on the subject and the insights I've gleamed from the book, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the Coaches and the Program and think we are a "seeing eye single" or "flare" away in a big game from breaking through and that once we do, Coach Childress has built a culture that will be sustainable and repeatable. We just need that one break to go our way.

I'm looking forward to this season and hope the change in offense is a catalyst that finally gets us to the next step.

I would recommend reading it no matter which side you find yourself on because there is a great amount of information you will learn about that isn't common public knowledge and it's just a darn good read.

Heath Clary
Thanks for all the reviews and comments about my book, guys. I will be responding to some of the more detailed ones over the next few days. Let me know if you have any more questions or comments!
Heath Clary
Lance Uppercut said:

Just finished the book. Here are my thoughts:

-Thanks to Heath for writing this. It's the kind of thing I never expected to exist, but something I was definitely very interested in having. Heath thanks the coaches and players for allowing him this level of access, and I think it's cool that the author, coaches, and team all combined to let us behind the scenes on what goes on during a college baseball season

-The book is very flattering for Coach Childress. Very. I'm sure some of the people that are tired of his tenure might flinch at this, but I think Heath wrote about what he saw. If he'd traveled with the team and ended up hating the staff because they were jerks and saw that most of the players were miserable, I don't think the book has anywhere near the same tone.

-There is a brief area of the book about the lack of success in Omaha....that Childress knows it's the goal of the program and that the fan base expects to take that next step. Gabe steps in to reiterate the Texags conference/money/location argument.

-Apparently you can shake off Coach Childress on the pitches he calls...but you better hope it works or face a "conversation". I think Doxakis and Kalich shake him off in a few interactions. There was also an interesting part about the coaches getting together and persuading Childress to make a move to the bullpen a batter earlier.

-I'd heard from internet rumors that Childress also steps in to influence the offense, but the book seemed to say that Bolt and Seely are pretty much given the reigns for operating on that side. The introduction of Coach Caillat is mentioned briefly.....maybe worth noting, Childress knows him as well, claiming their relationship goes back 15-20 years. A few players are interviewed as well mentioning they're excited to try new methods with a new instructor after how the offense went last year.

-The offensive woes are a consistent subject. How could they not be? The staff preaches through the book that they'll eventually hit their stride, but when they don't, there's a portion where Bolt admits he decided to play for any runs in an inning and hoping they beat the opponent to 4 runs instead of protecting the possibility of a big inning since he had a season's worth of evidence showing him that big innings weren't going to consistently be our thing. Controversial possibly, but interesting. Also shortly following that we hear about the high scoring West Virginia game so who knows.

-Heath traveled to almost all the games with the team, and chronicles some moments of the season I'd forgotten. I forgot we beat Arkansas 2 out of 3 to end the regular season. The crazy back and forth Game 1 in the SEC Tournament with Florida. Lacy in the Alabama series etc.

-I thought it was interesting that in Lacy's ejection the coaches were mad he wasn't given any kind of warning. The book says Lacy yelled "you're terrible"....and that the response from the staff was that they agreed with that assessment.

-There are a few mentions of Texags. By the sounds of it, Childress is oblivious to all our great ideas and tells the team to shut it out, but some of the players end up dropping in to see the special brand of encouragement.

-Shewmake comes off as a good guy. He gave Heath a lot of interviews and was clearly a tough competitor. The Doxakis segments are interesting as well, he's clearly a guy that wishes he could be on the mound all the time.

-I think the main thing I took away from the book were things I'd assumed before, but had illustrated by reading this. Being part of a college athletics team is a ton of work....they have a boot camp, practices, "optional" practices, weight training, meetings with nutritionists, meals, travel, games, and being in college stacked on top of all of that. They put a ton of time and effort into being on the baseball team, and take their lumps along the way (injuries to Hunter Coleman, J. Childress, Frizzell, Hoehner, Blaum, Roa and others are mentioned). And they're doing so on partial scholarships, many because they love the game and a lot of others because they really wanted to play for the name on the front of the jersey as well. So I figured it was a lot, but it was even more than I expected.

There's a lot I left out (the book does cover about a calendar year with the team), and I can't imagine anyone who likes Aggie baseball wouldn't find something to like about this book.

Thanks for the detailed review, Lance. I'm very glad you enjoyed the book and took the time to share your thoughts.
aggiedaddie
Bought it. Read it. Enjoyed it all. I learned a hell of a lot about Aggie baseball and about the coaching staff. It was a tough season and the book follows it all the way through from the early highs to late lows. Highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to know how aggie baseball is done.

I wish Clary would write another one for this season as a sequel. A couple of coaching changes, another year of growth, and a couple of missing stars to be replaced. It will be an interesting year.

Heath? Write another one?
Heath Clary
aggiedaddie said:

Bought it. Read it. Enjoyed it all. I learned a hell of a lot about Aggie baseball and about the coaching staff. It was a tough season and the book follows it all the way through from the early highs to late lows. Highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to know how aggie baseball is done.

I wish Clary would write another one for this season as a sequel. A couple of coaching changes, another year of growth, and a couple of missing stars to be replaced. It will be an interesting year.

Heath? Write another one?
Thanks for another positive review. I would agree that anyone with an even passing interest in Aggie Baseball would love this book.

Stay tuned on a sequel. I need a few more people to go to AggieBaseballBook.com and get their copy before I start thinking about doing another book!!
Wooten73
AG
We invited Heath to come preview and discuss his book at a recent Medina County A&M Club meeting in Hondo, where a number of us purchased books from him. I found Heath to be a very personable and engaging young man, and after reading his book it's apparent that he's also a very capable author! I found the book to be extremely interesting and very illuminating as Heath takes us through most of last year and details the inner workings of the A&M baseball team and program. I had no idea prior to reading the book what the players go through during a typical year--particularly during the fall, and the personal observations and player and coach anecdotes are both powerful and revealing. I found the book to be well-structured and well-written, and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the A&M baseball program!! I, also, would like to read a sequel, but as Heath stated, he needs to sell some more books before thinking about writing another one, so go to his website (heathclary.com) and buy some of his books!!
TCW
Heath Clary
Wooten73 said:

We invited Heath to come preview and discuss his book at a recent Medina County A&M Club meeting in Hondo, where a number of us purchased books from him. I found Heath to be a very personable and engaging young man, and after reading his book it's apparent that he's also a very capable author! I found the book to be extremely interesting and very illuminating as Heath takes us through most of last year and details the inner workings of the A&M baseball team and program. I had no idea prior to reading the book what the players go through during a typical year--particularly during the fall, and the personal observations and player and coach anecdotes are both powerful and revealing. I found the book to be well-structured and well-written, and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the A&M baseball program!! I, also, would like to read a sequel, but as Heath stated, he needs to sell some more books before thinking about writing another one, so go to his website (heathclary.com) and buy some of his books!!
Another great review here, folks. Every Aggie sports fan needs to go to AggieBaseballBook.com and get their copy today!
dshedd41
S
Just bought my copy
Gig’em Aggies!
AgBQ80
AG
I'm about half way thru the book now. Very interesting read. I highly recommend it if you're any sort of Aggie baseball fan at all !!!
Heath Clary
AgBQ80 said:

I'm about half way thru the book now. Very interesting read. I highly recommend it if you're any sort of Aggie baseball fan at all !!!
Thank you for the kind words. As the author I am obviously a little biased, but I don't see why any Aggie sports fan would not want to read the book and learn about what goes on inside one of Texas A&M's best sports.
dermdoc
AG
It is a great read and brought back a lot of good memories. We really need to buy Heath's book so we can get more reads like this.
Heath Clary
dermdoc said:

It is a great read and brought back a lot of good memories. We really need to buy Heath's book so we can get more reads like this.
Thank you. All Aggie sports fans: go over to HeathClary.com today to get your copy! Gig 'em.
Aggieangler93
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Seems like, here on Texags, we could get a chance to buy an autographed copy by Heath and Strip. That would be sweet!
Is there no hope for this, Heath?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
twk
AG
It is a very good book, but almost painful to read about what was the most exasperating season I can ever remember. I had forgotten the details of just how close we seemed to be to having a special season.
94chem
Quote:

We just need that one break to go our way.
An Aggie baseball tradition since 1987.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.