Shark Clap

2,668 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie
ensign_beedrill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When did the shark clap originate at Olsen? I remember the old board with the shark fin, but don't know when that started.

I was thinking about it watching the World Series last night. The Nationals fans were doing the shark clap.
EMY92
AG
My guess is after Jaws was released.

It was going strong in my first season in '89.
twk
AG
DD would play the Jaws theme music when a rally was building, implying that the opposing pitcher was about to get devoured. As to when the fans started doing the chomp to it, I'm not sure there were enough fans to make an impression doing it until '89.
Hop
Staff
AG
twk said:

DD would play the Jaws theme music when a rally was building, implying that the opposing pitcher was about to get devoured. As to when the fans started doing the chomp to it, I'm not sure there were enough fans to make an impression doing it until '89.

There were decent crowds from 1985-1988....especially 87 and 88.
Wicked Good Ag
I went to most every game in 89 home and away with my roommates on a couple of road trips. We went to a huge amount of games in 88. It was there then as well and crowds were pretty decent size

89 crowds kept getting bigger and bigger as season wore on
twk
AG
Hop said:

twk said:

There were decent crowds from 1985-1988....especially 87 and 88.
They were giving away seat cushions for the Arkansas series in '87. First 500 fans on Friday got a seat cushion. I got a cushion on Friday, then on Saturday, the DDs told me to take as many as I wanted, they didn't want to be stuck with the rest.

People showed up for t.u., and, if the weather was nice, maybe another conference series, but other than that, crowds were really small. Don't forget, we played a lot more day games back then--no night games until after Spring Break. For a Tuesday afternoon doubleheader, the number of students at the game at any given time was often less than 50.
trouble
AG
Damn, y'all old.
ClearLakeAg
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I went to most every game in 89 home and away with my roommates on a couple of road trips. We went to a huge amount of games in 88. It was there then as well and crowds were pretty decent size

89 crowds kept getting bigger and bigger as season wore on
Loved this season and as students you had to be there when the gates opened 2 hours before the game to claim your seat in the upper deck first base side.

Good times until LSU ruined it.

I loved DD's walkup songs that year for Kirk, Taylor, Knoblauch, Duke, etc.
TexasRebel
AG
twk said:

The shark fin came out when runners were circling the pitcher like sharks circling prey.

I miss the shark board.
BQ_90
AG
TexasRebel said:

twk said:

The shark fin came out when runners were circling the pitcher like sharks circling prey.

I miss the shark board.
I miss "fire it up"
Aggie
AG
Nothing will beat " look out Hearne"

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.