Olsen Hecklers

7,053 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jonnypepp1
oneoutofmany
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I was at A&M and going to baseball games at Olsen in the late 90s, there was a guy that was kinda the de facto leader of the student section hecklers. Seems like he was known as "_______ the heckler". Anyone remember that guy and/or his name?
Tanya 93
No one is a heckler.

They are Raggies.
tjack16
AG
oneoutofmany said:

When I was at A&M and going to baseball games at Olsen in the late 90s, there was a guy that was kinda the de facto leader of the student section hecklers. Seems like he was known as "_______ the heckler". Anyone remember that guy and/or his name?
he's probably still there leading the "student" section
jbr
AG
Jimmy?
MMantle
AG
From the first deck, we called him The Judge, not only did he have a big voice, he was very knowledgeable, some of his off-the-cuff comments were priceless.

RR
Wicked Good Ag
Probably Jimmy Harrison
etchasketch
AG
I miss those days. Good times are still had at Olsen, but those days were the best!
Lemmys Rickenbacker
oneoutofmany said:

Could you be talking about George? This was before Raggies was used as a name for the student section.
Bird Poo
AG
I think his name was Jimmy? Also a head umpire in the intramural softball leagues? I used to umpire with him and he was a legend.

Every year someone posts a thread asking about him.
Hop
Staff
AG
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

oneoutofmany said:

Could you be talking about George? This was before Raggies was used as a name for the student section.
Yes...he was before Jimmy. And they were definitely referred to as hecklers before the term Raggies came into existence.
twk
AG
Confusing George Lengel, Ph.D.. Physics, (TAMU '95) with Jimmy Harrison (Sam class of __?) is about like confusing Vladimir Horowitz with John Tesch.
Tobias Funke
AG
With no other context, to satisfy my need for rhyme or alliteration, I'm just going to guess his name was Meckler or Hank.
jc97
AG
Mid to late 90s, it was definitely Jimmy Harrison. Also a head ump for IM softball (and other sports).

Jimmy seemed like a long time fixture when I arrived in 1993, and was still going strong when I graduate in 1997.

I remember (1994 or 1995) dressing in a suit with him and some of the guys (twadd96 from here) to celebrate opening day. People thought we were nuts -- a tradition that never caught on

My favorite Jimmy story. We were playing Maine I think, and there were some Maine parents behind us. Jimmy was doing his thing and one of the moms yelled at him to be quiet so she could hear the game. So of course he Sssshs us all so she can hear. She didn't take to being mocked and she yells "If you're so great why aren't you out there playing?" And he says "Because I go to class." At which point like 100 of us, in perfect unison, yelled "No you don't!"

jc97
AG
I take that back. Upon further consideration, the best Jimmy story might be SW Louisiana State, their 350 pound freshman first basemen, and a Twinkie on a fishing pole.

We saw the kid on a Friday, the props get brought on Saturday, and on Sunday one of their players or coaches tells us that their team thought it was hysterical. So while he was at dinner, one of their coaches bought a box of Twinkies and left it in this poor corpulent kid's hotel room. He goes in, finds it, and apparently goes bat$*#t crazy.

Capt. America
AG
jc97 said:

I take that back. Upon further consideration, the best Jimmy story might be SW Louisiana State, their 350 pound freshman first basemen, and a Twinkie on a fishing pole.

We saw the kid on a Friday, the props get brought on Saturday, and on Sunday one of their players or coaches tells us that their team thought it was hysterical. So while he was at dinner, one of their coaches bought a box of Twinkies and left it in this poor corpulent kid's hotel room. He goes in, finds it, and apparently goes bat$*#t crazy.

We did something similar to that a few years ago for ACU's first baseman. Dad was rolling with laughter.

Capitol Ag
AG
Anyone have an idea what he's up to these days? iirc he was still doing his thing as late at '01, though I could be wrong. I first went to an Aggie game at Olsen in 93 and Jimmy was there and he was there when I finished in 98.

He got the Oklahoma State coach furious in either 97 or 98 and mentioned him during an interview after one of the games. The coach said he should be banned from baseball, lol.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Before those years, in the middle to late 80s, the leader of the pack was front row on top of the visitors dugout.

Matt ......... can't remember last name but his dad was a BMA and Matt went on to become a pretty well known criminal prosecutor in, I think, Lubbock county. Supposedly nailed and closed some tough old cases successfully

Somehow in the days before the intertron, he managed to dig up info on a few ops and always had a bag full of props. Info was stuff like Sco-Pro, a DWI, a girlfriend breakup...... stuff like that.

Like all the good ones, he was an expert at making funny without using foul language. He could make everybody on the field, including his targets, laugh along. By mid season I doubt a single ump didn't know him by name.
AG
I also remember a basketball game where Jimmy brought boxing gloves.

The first time that season we played at Tech there was a fight. So when the teams met up at G Rollie, we were there front row & Jimmy was wearing boxing gloves. Tony Barone sees this in warmups and walks over and politely asks him to put them away -- we don't want to stir anything up. Jimmy complied.

I'd love to know what he's up to too.

woodometer
AG
The chronology goes George, Original Raggies, and then Jimmy with some overlap.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
woodometer said:

The chronology goes George, Original Raggies, and then Jimmy with some overlap.

Matt predates all those and was there when we had some of our all time best teams and players. Literally the professor of hecklers
AG
I was speaking strictly of upper deck. Different list and different world downstairs. K-Man are you listening?
kevmiller
I've said before.. Blue Bell Park is a beautiful facility but those that never experienced the old Olsen field , those were the days.

In the late 80's to early 90's fans gathering on the train tracks in RF for overflow crowds.
Then in the late 90's when imo Olsen was the best it has ever been.. when Aggie Alley was open and no admission or regulations.
There would be 2000+ in Aggie alley for big series.
Olsen was the best atmosphere in college baseball then.

John Scheschuk
I enjoyed reading this thread. Great memories! Jimmy was a legit Raggie and brought his "A" game every night.
ensign_beedrill
AG
If I ever get a time machine, my first stop is gonna' be to watch some Aggie baseball games in '89.
Darla1
AG
Back in the mid-80's we had a relief pitcher that the press box would always play Hawaii-5-0 theme song when he came in to pitch. Who remembers who the reliever was? Those were the days, I remember the San Diego Chicken came in for a game once. We would all sit over the visitors dugout with our props and drive them nuts, almost got Cougar High to come into the stands one series, they were losing it.
jc97
AG
John Scheschuk said:

I enjoyed reading this thread. Great memories! Jimmy was a legit Raggie and brought his "A" game every night.

Great to see John post this. I remember being at some nice Italian place with some Raggies after a game John's freshman year (I don't know why we were at someplace nice). He was there with his mom.

John comes over, admittedly we didn't recognize him because he was playing behind Jason Stephens and (shoot the 1b who hit the walkoff grand slam vs Tech. Matt something? I'm drawing a blank).

John says "hey y'all are the Raggies, right? we really appreciate your support".

Needless to say John got huge cheers from all of us at that dinner that night for the next 4 years and was my fave Aggie ballplayer.
EVA3
AG
Darla1 said:

Back in the mid-80's we had a relief pitcher that the press box would always play Hawaii-5-0 them song when he came in to pitch. Who remembers who the reliever was? Those were the days, I remember the San Diego Chicken came in for a game once. We would all sit over the visitors dugout with our props and drive them nuts, almost got Cougar High to come into the stands one series, there were losing it.

Hey, bruddah! Now pitchin' for da Aggies, numbah 44, Beje Mahoe!
EVA3
AG
jc97 said:

John Scheschuk said:

Great to see John post this. I remember being at some nice Italian place with some Raggies after a game John's freshman year (I don't know why we were at someplace nice). He was there with his mom.

John comes over, admittedly we didn't recognize him because he was playing behind Jason Stephens and (shoot the 1b who hit the walkoff grand slam vs Tech. Matt something? I'm drawing a blank).

John says "hey y'all are the Raggies, right? we really appreciate your support".

Needless to say John got huge cheers from all of us at that dinner that night for the next 4 years and was my fave Aggie ballplayer.

One of my favorite ballplayers ever. Still remember how much fun we had when we clinched the Big 12 in Waco.
EVA3
AG
Heckling at Olsen was so much better when the crowds weren't quite so large and before they had the non-stop multimedia and loudspeaker show.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Ahhh, so many stories of watching games with "Q-Bert". Those were some of my most fun days at A&M.

Another favorite was against Rice when we were still in the SWC. Graham lost his mind one game after a call the Umpire made and ended up on his hands and knees mounding up dirt on home plate.

The next day we all had sand box toys hanging from the railing with a sign "Wayne's Sandbox"

George was still legendary at that point too. Didn't say much, but when he did it was golden.
EVA3
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Ahhh, so many stories of watching games with "Q-Bert". Those were some of my most fun days at A&M.

Another favorite was against Rice when we were still in the SWC. Graham lost his mind one game after a call the Umpire made and ended up on his hands and knees mounding up dirt on home plate.

The next day we all had sand box toys hanging from the railing with a sign "Wayne's Sandbox"

George was still legendary at that point too. Didn't say much, but when he did it was golden.

I was at that game too, with my dad. After that, every time Wayne came out of the dugout to argue a call, there were yells of, "Bury the plate, Wayne!"
dixichkn
AG
I believe Jimmy was already there in the late 80's when I was there.......friend of mine brought me to my first game and sat us in 203, I remember asking him "who's that crazy loud MF" and he's like oh yeah, that's Jimmy...... was hooked on Aggie baseball from that day on. You can't beat Olsen.
SABUILDERAG
We need some "Big Bad John" Scheschuk's on Olsen again. And Truitt's, Tyner's, and Daylon Holt's. That '99 team could flat wear out the baseball.
Jonnypepp1
I was there for a bunch of games in 89. t.u. Series. Ark series. SWC tourney. That was Olsen magic! Bye bye Byington crushing dingers... knoblauch getting chunked for arguing calls. 7 run first innings. 9 run 9th innings. Running out of BP balls cuz players hit too many out. Loved that team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.