Ballpark Organ Question

2,255 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Anonymous Source
#Mke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of my favorite things about baseball is the nostalgia that it brings with being America's pastime, and I love the sounds of an authentic organ at a ballgame. Unfortunately, outside of Wrigley and maybe a few other ballparks, the organ seems to be a dying instrument in baseball stadiums around the country. I have two questions for my fellow baseball lovin' Ags:

1.) Has Olsen Field ever had an organ?

2.) Would you like to have a ballpark organist at Olsen Field?

Let me reiterate, I'm not talking that fake, computer-generated, artificial organ sound. I'm talking a real organ with that old-school organ sound like they have at Wrigley.

I am one of the loudest critics of the DJ at Kyle Field (can't stand it), but to me an organ adds a lot to a ballpark atmosphere. A&M already went with the old-school look when they renovated Olsen, so to me it seems like an organ would fit in pretty well with the environment we've got. Olsen has a great atmosphere with our without an organist, I just wanted to hear y'all's thoughts!
twk
AG
Olsen has never had an organ. DD used to have a Casio keyboard that he fiddled around with a bit, but he wasn't a piano player.

Georgia has an organ, and they have the organist for the Braves come over when available. But, that's the real trick--finding someone to play, and do it right. You need someone who has a wide repertoire of popular songs, and there really aren't a lot of folks who fit that category. 50-60 years ago, you used to have a lot of homes with organs, not to mention pianos, and people who would play to entertain guests. Now, not so much. Even a great church organist is unlikely to have the popular song repertoire to pull off the ballpark organ job.

For better or worse, canned music is what it's going to be.
ColoradoMooseHerd
No to the organ. That was put to rest a long time ago for good reason. People did not want it.
Mister Mystery Guest
I wouldn't be against. I wonder what the average sing-along-piano-bar guy makes in a night?
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
it's better than a rose on the piano...
trouble
AG
Not a bit interested in an organ at Olsen
MaroonMack
IIRC, Mississippi State brought in the organist from the Braves for the A&M series in Starkvegas sometime in the last 4-5 years.
TAMU1990
AG
I would rather have an outfield porch
BQ_90
AG
In old Olsen I'm shocked DD had room for a casio. Man that press box was tiny.
technoviking
AG
Dunno about an organ at blue bell, especially since we have the pipes in section 203 already. but I do love the organ setup at dodger stadium.
BurnetAggie99
I'm sure if a Organ was wanted at Olsen Ags could find a Organ player at St Mary's or one of the surrounding Catholic Churches
McInnis80
When I went to Arkansas they have an organist at their stadium. It makes for a fun atmosphere, and it beats calling the Hogs. He is an Arkansas grad from their music school. I don't expect that we have a Josh Kantor (Boston Red Sox organist) in BCS, but we should be able to get someone for the weekend games.
aggiedaddie
#Mke said:

2.) Would you like to have a ballpark organist at Olsen Field?
I don't mind anything as long as it is an occasional thing, not every half inning, not every pitch. A good organist is preferable to artificial noise, but a bad organist is worse. A good organist not only knows what to play but when NOT to play.

Here's a proposal: nothing. No aritificial noise. Just the game and the announcer and the raggies and the fans.

I wonder if the school would be willing to try that out during a couple of games? Or a couple of half games? Give it a try.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Quote:

I don't expect that we have a Josh Kantor (Boston Red Sox organist) in BCS

You don't have to tell us who Josh Kantor is!
Anonymous Source
S
Quote:

Here's a proposal: nothing. No aritificial noise. Just the game and the announcer and the raggies and the fans.

First time a foul ball flies out of the stadium, this little experiment is over.
Gig 'Em
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.