Dear Admin, Can we have Baseball and Softball Separated by the incoming year?

5,057 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ag 11
AggieDad0323
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sure there are others like myself who would appreciate if Baseball and Softball were separated to their own categories as the other sports.

Please consider for the upcoming year.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

[IT'S NOT IN MY CONTROL, BUT EVEN IN THE HEART OF THE SEASON, 3 - 5 DAY OLD THREADS STILL APPEAR ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS BOARD. THAT IS WHY I DON'T THINK THE DECISION MAKERS WOULD CONSIDER SPLITTING THE BOARD. -STAFF]
Mr.Ackar07
As a baseball poster, the combined forum doesn't bother me. There are usually only a handful of active softball threads at a time on the first page, and if you don't count the Jo Evans bashing threads there is generally none to one to sift through.
Belton Ag
AG
Why?

I'm heavy into both sports and am on this forum quite a bit and I've never thought the two sports take away from each other on the forum.

Softball probably gets only tenth of the attention baseball does, not enough to deserve its own board and not enough to distract from baseball.

The culture of this board is probably the best of all the sports forums on Texags, I'd hate to see that get messed with.
AggieDad0323
Fair enough and valid points. I just think both sports deserve there own category of threads. I'm not a dual sport poster, so maybe that's where I'm missing the boat. Softball doesn't get enough credit or media attention as it is.Those like me who are advocating to grow the sport need others to see its value on its own just as the other sports and not simply a title IX program. But again your points are valid as related to the forum.
TexasRebel
AG
They used to be separate.

The softball forum was a ghost town. I think the Off Campus and Hockey boards had more traffic and there wasn't even a direct link to those on the website.
trouble
AG
What rebel said. The softball threads benefit from having the boards combined. While I will read them here, I wouldn't go to another board to read them.
Wicked Good Ag
If we are going to separate the sports let's do it by

Baseball / Softball as the first board

Coaching complaints as the second board
Sandman98
AG
I click on softball threads every now and then. If they weren't combined, I'd never visit a softball page. I'm pretty sure staff knows this.
Kool
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

That's awesome! Maybe even a pop-up board to complain about the strike zone during game time, for completeness' sake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Seconded.
TyperWoods
Baseball a forum
Soccer/softball/volleyball a forum
ColoradoMooseHerd
This is what is wrong with women's sports today.

We need equal pay
We need equal scholarships
We need equal media attention
We need equal number of boards on TexAgs

The arguments completely ignore the demand or interest in the sports and demand the "equal" amount of attention or boards or money. If softball had a separate board, it would be a ghost town as many of the people visiting softball threads only do so because they were here looking for baseball threads and just so happen to click on it. The interest in the women's sports and the demand for tickets or willingness to spend money on them is just not their to justify the "equal" pay, scholarships, etc, etc.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

We need equal pay
Yeah... I think you're reading just a little too much into the OP.
greg.w.h
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

We need equal pay

The arguments completely ignore the demand or interest in the sports and demand the "equal" amount of attention or boards or money. If softball had a separate board, it would be a ghost town as many of the people visiting softball threads only do so because they were here looking for baseball threads and just so happen to click on it. The interest in the women's sports and the demand for tickets or willingness to spend money on them is just not their to justify the "equal" pay, scholarships, etc, etc.

Without Title IX and its application to intercollegiate sports the upswell in especially soccer and softball would have been quite a bit slower. Which suggests Title IX by ensuring equivalent opportunity on essentially a scholarship per scholarship basis indeed has created an upswell in demand among girls and women to participate in sports.

I would argue the prior discrimination by men and women against girls and women in athletics couldgiven the uptakehave been an unfortunate thing. I also doubt that it takes less long for women's professional sports to gain parity in pay than it generally took men to achieve astronomical salaries in the professional leagues.

But there IS an example where women's push for equality SIGNIFICANTLY improved men's performance and pay. And it has been televised in a format that has been mostly equal since the late 60s. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out which sport.
BanderaAg956
AMEN
94chem
"I also doubt that it takes less long for women's professional sports to gain parity in pay than it generally took men to achieve astronomical salaries in the professional leagues."

Head exploded. I give up. You are a Chinese bot.
powerbelly
AG
As a baseball fan who casually follows softball, there is zero chance I follow a separate softball board.
sharpdressedman
Softball is a dumpster fire. Keep its negativity muted by burying it in this board.
tonytx05
AG
Almost everyone here has excellent points (decide for yourself which ones I think are excellent or not). However, given so few of the threads are softball related I don't really care if they are all lumped together or not.
Ag 11
AG
Make this the baseball board & softball can be in the other sports board?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.