stealing first in Atlantic league?

3,314 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LOYAL AG
Missouri Boat Ride
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
is it possible to get in a pickle when stealing first. Say batter attempts stealing first, but says no dice halfway because of throw to first. Can he get back and touch home without being tagged and resume his AB?
Aggies2009
AG
I think it becomes a force situation once he commits to trying to steal first.

I could be wrong, though.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Architelico said:

is it possible to get in a pickle when stealing first. Say batter attempts stealing first, but says no dice halfway because of throw to first. Can he get back and touch home without being tagged and resume his AB?
let's review the first steal of first base:

So to answer the OP question: a batter is not in possession of Home Plate, to get in a rundown between home and first would be futile because if the batter decided to go back home he is going to a dead area and he would be out on any tag.
nereus
AG
I feel like this is a cricket rule, but I don't really know the rules of cricket. Don't that have something similar in cricket where you get to run and score if the catcher (not sure the cricket position name) misses it?
aggietony2010
AG
nereus said:

I feel like this is a cricket rule, but I don't really know the rules of cricket. Don't that have something similar in cricket where you get to run and score if the catcher (not sure the cricket position name) misses it?

I think in cricket you're free to advance pretty much whenever. But if the wicket is hit when you're outside the crease, you're out...and depending on the format, this is a way bigger deal than an out in baseball.
God save the Patriarchy!
Aggie12B
AG
What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?
How much alcohol was involved in the decision making process where you think it might be a good idea for the batter to be able to steal 1st base? that is some straight up ghetto sh**.
greg.w.h
AG
It's in effect MLB's experimental league. More power to them IF (and ONLY IF) stealing first stops the lallygagging around. The less the ball is out of play in theory the quicker the game resolves. It strikes me as odd, too, btw. But MLB is worried about how to solve for being no longer than a Broadway play or extra long movie because they believe new fans...particularly pre-teens who might fall in love with the sport could lose interest if games keep creeping up in length.

I personally believe removing replay and teaching players that umps are a historic part of the game and encouraging them to keep the game moving is simpler and more faithful to the game. But they should think outside the box.

A great example is the 20/20 format in cricket as opposed to the 5-day test match. They're different games but same underlying sport.
Aggies2009
AG
aggietony2010 said:

nereus said:

I think in cricket you're free to advance pretty much whenever. But if the wicket is hit when you're outside the crease, you're out...and depending on the format, this is a way bigger deal than an out in baseball.

Correct. So if the wicketkeeper catches it, you'd better stay put. Sometimes guys swings carry them over the line and they're at risk. But if he misses it, I've seen guys take 3 runs before the ball is retrieved.
wareagle044
I like it. More emphasis for the catcher to have urgency with no runners on base. Better have command of your breaking pitches
aggietony2010
AG
It reminds me of one version of MLB The Show (I think 2009 or 2010) where I'd guess a low breaking ball pitch, and if it was right, you could basically tell it was going to be in the dirt. I'd swing at them (for strike 3) all the time, because that was way easier than actually learning to hit in that game.

If they really want to speed up play with something like this, they should add a batter's "zone" I'm thinking basically the dirt circle, and if you step out of that, you're liable to be put out. That would cut down on all the stepping out and incessant glove and armor adjusting. But that will never happen.
God save the Patriarchy!
aggietony2010
AG
I think the biggest thing the MLB needs to sort out is how to deal with modern media if they want to reach out to the younger generation.

They need to find a way to end the regional blackouts. I understand there's a lot of money at play here, but a $150-250 per season regional "unlock" fee might take care of that. Hell, it can go straight to the cable media conglomerate for all I care. No need to end the regional sports networks, they just need to force them all to modernize/standardize. There just needs to be a way to open up MLB.TV and say, I want to watch my team on all my devices, and I want to handle the transaction here, and y'all sort out the money.

Shareable video clips also need to be a thing. I feel like they're moving in the right direction, but imagine an MLB.TV app where you could watch, see something awesome, take a clip, and post it to twitter/instagram/snapchat with ease, and no worry about a copyright takedown. They could slap a couple ad watermarks in the corners too.

And make free/exciting moments free. Game heading to the bottom of the 9th tied? Make it easy for anyone to see that. No-hitter through 7? Slap on an ad banner, and make that free to view and easy to share, at least until the no-no bid is done.

There are still some young fans that are willing to watch 3 hour games every day. I've got a 10-year old nephew who will basically watch every regular season game he can. They just need to find a way to bridge the gap to the shorter attention span crowd.
God save the Patriarchy!
nereus
AG
greg.w.h said:

It's in effect MLB's experimental league. More power to them IF (and ONLY IF) stealing first stops the lallygagging around. The less the ball is out of play in theory the quicker the game resolves. It strikes me as odd, too, btw. But MLB is worried about how to solve for being no longer than a Broadway play or extra long movie because they believe new fans...particularly pre-teens who might fall in love with the sport could lose interest if games keep creeping up in length.
It doesn't really seem all that fundamentally different than a dropped third strike, so I don't really have a problem with it either way I guess.

Not sure how it is supposed to speed up the game though. Is the catcher running back to the backstop to get a live ball really faster than the umpire putting a new ball in the catcher's glove or throwing it out to the pitcher himself. I don't see how that could be true. The pitcher then will have a new count on a new batter (which also makes it take longer). I can see this as a way to create more base runners, more offense, etc., but I'm not sure how it saves time unless it results in generally recording outs (in which case the batters will adjust and not run as much).

The other thing is you are increasing throws from behind home plate which often result in the throw taking the first baseman into the path of the runner. I'm not sure that is a great idea from an injury standpoint.
Aggieangler93
AG
aggietony2010 said:

If they really want to speed up play with something like this, they should add a batter's "zone" I'm thinking basically the dirt circle, and if you step out of that, you're liable to be put out. That would cut down on all the stepping out and incessant glove and armor adjusting. But that will never happen.
I'd love to see this. I hate watching the batters do 35 things after each swing. GET IN THE DAMN BOX AND HIT!!!!!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
alvtimes
just no.... F no!!!!! Next thing you know batter will come to the plate with 1-1 count.... a la beer league softball!!!! wait.... speed up the game.... how about 2 outs per innning???? JF christ.... people arent going games because the games last 19.2 minutes longer ..... they arent going because you cant take the fam and have good seats some dogs and a handful of beers for less than $300.
D_Wag97
AG
A runner isn't awarded a stolen base on a wild pitch or passed ball when running to another base, so why is it a stolen base when running to first?
ensign_beedrill
AG
D_Wag97 said:

A runner isn't awarded a stolen base on a wild pitch or passed ball when running to another base, so why is it a stolen base when running to first?
This is a very good question.
Ag 11
AG
"Stealing first base" sounds cooler than "attempting to advance to first base on a passed ball". It gets people's attention & gets them to start reading into it because it's something that doesn't make sense. Something different. They're just trying to get more clicks
Bondag
AG
I like this rule. If a pitcher wants to make you look ridiculous swinging at a slider the catcher needs to stop the ball.
greg.w.h
AG
I suspect it's designed to keep the game moving along by forcing the team in the field to deal with ball in play pressure. I have no problem with nasty sliders and curves and if you can't hit them you probably need to fix that.

But the idea that a passed ball can allow a runner to advance sounds pretty innovative. Though maybe more like cricket than baseball...
LOYAL AG
AG
Aggie12B said:

What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?
How much alcohol was involved in the decision making process where you think it might be a good idea for the batter to be able to steal 1st base? that is some straight up ghetto sh**.
By your own admission you were a terrible hitter whose OB% was boosted by striking out on a wild pitch then beating the throw down to 1B. I'd think you'd love this rule as it saves you potentially two embarrassing swings. Just run on every wild pitch!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.