Brauny or any other experienced coach or Dad.

8,985 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JohnnieBB
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 7 year old and twins that are 5. All in baseball and they love it. Mainly because rule at our house is you have to go to bed at 8:00 unless watching baseball then you can stay up till end of game

My 7 year old has been asked to be on two separate "academy" teams. Here in KC it's "Mac/Sietz" (Mike Macfarland and Kevin Sietzer) or "Building Champions". One of them is a 9U team that saw him play when he subbed on an 8U team.

I find this all rather ridiculous and when I asked my son if he wanted to play, all he said is if all his friends were on the team. Needless to say, we said no.

My question and potential concern is about the future. If these "competitive/super" teams are being formed now (which they clearly are), will my kids be at a disadvantage for not jumping on now? If we try to jump on at say 10-12 years old, will my kids be the outcast or relegated to outfield because the teams core group is set?

When can we expect a non Dad to coach? I have lots of friends who coach and in very candid conversations, they coach in order to put their kids in best positions.

I try to assistant coach on each kids team...o don't want to commit to a particular team because I want to give all three kids equal time.

Just looking for thoughts based on experience from you guys...especially a "non Dad" coach like Brauny.
aggiebrad94
AG
I'm a dad. I'm a former small college baseball player. I have had this conversation with several coaches - both at high school and college level.

Before high school, it's too early. Focus on fun, multiple sports, and developing a love of the process of work. If a kid won't go in the backyard and hit 100 balls off a tee each day, why spend the time and money? If he won't shoot 100 shots in the driveway, why worry about travel teams.

Kids' interests, strengths, weaknesses, bodies, etc. change so much from age 7-13 that spending that much money and time for lessons, travel, and fancy uniforms is a terrible investment.

I promise you that if they play a bunch of different sports, they will be able to catch-up to their travel ball buddies in high school if that's what they want to play when they get older.
Quito
AG
That's what I'm thinking. Only concern is getting "left out" on some of these teams when they are older because they are set with a good core.

My kids love football, baseball and basketball and will continue to play each unless they don't want to. I hardly see that happening as they pretty much play in the driveway or backyard every day. Their current game consists of tennis ball homer in derby all day.

I could tell a significant difference in how my 7 year old threw the ball after football and basketball season this past year. He dramatically improved with the baseball....literally couldn't recognize the difference he threw so much better. He claims it was a lot easier because after playing with larger football and basketball for so long, the baseball felt like a toy.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
A lot of older athletes have said that focusing on one sport is harmful for athletes. Harold Reynolds and Dan Plesac were talking about it on MLB Tonight a few weeks ago. Let the kids build their athletic abilities in various sports and they will improve in the other sports they play. Plesac mentioned his basketball skills improved his bunt defense skills as a player.

My youngest daughter only participates sportswise in Softball but she is also on a competitive dance team. It has definitely helped her to become more limber and she runs better/more fluid than before she was on the dance team. It could also be age.

I don't want my daughter playing select/travelling right now. Maybe not ever. We were actually discussing this with her coach yesterday, whose daughter is on the team, and they felt the same way.
jrb754
I have a 13 year old and a 9 year old. Both play select baseball. My oldest also played seventh grade football and will play again in 8th grade this fall. I encourage them to play what ever sport they want to. He also shows commercial heifers. My 9 year old will show his first set of heifers this year. It can be time consuming for sure but some of our best friends we have met because of select ball. Who knows maybe they get good enough to play some ball at a small school one day. If not they will have memories and buddies the rest of their lives.
Quito
AG
Question is not about playing multiple sports. I definitely think that is best and more fun!

Question is about waiting to get on "competitive teams". By not doing it now at 7,8 or 9 years old, will my kids be left out at 10-12 when we do feel it's more appropriate. Will these competitive teams asking us now, be set with their core group and relegate new kids to outfield? Will these teams be full and not accept new guys?
ta93e
AG
I'm just wrapping up the journey you are starting and can offer some advice. My rising senior is committed to a top D1 school.

In general, the worry about getting your kids on the best team possible is really just for Dad's ego. I can look back and see that very clearly now. All the drama we experienced, all the struggle to try out and make the best teams; it didn't end up meaning anything. It probably seems very obvious to most folks, but bears repeating; no one is coming to scout your kid or those top teams, no one cares if he hits bombs or struggles except most of the other dads, who secretly want every other kid to fail so their kid compares better.

I experienced both ways to do it. We were on a dad coached family team that stayed together from 6u to 10u and it was great (until it wasn't). We didn't win much, but we built a bond and had a lot of fun until the team split over nonsense drama that was directly related to 10 year olds playing baseball. From there, we went and tried out for the top club teams, run by former major leaguers you see in every major city. We won lots of rings and trophies through 14u and generally just paid to play and travel for baseball all summer. My son probably had more fun winning than not winning, but it had zero effect on his baseball future. The teams with paid coaches will tend to put the best kids in the right position to win, but there is no guarantee your kid gets the position he wants and bats where he should in the order. There can still be lots of drama on those teams as well.

There is a lot of turnover on the top/club teams. If your kid is good enough to make a 9u team now, he'll likely have that opportunity any time he wants it. The important thing to get from youth baseball is the love of the game. Hopefully they start developing that competitive fire and passion to put the work in they need to really go to the next level. When that time comes, it won't matter what youth teams they played on. They will look for how your kid projects physically and what kind of tools he brings (speed, pitching velo, bat exit velo, defensive skills etc.) Naturally, the kids who have the natural physical tools or the work ethic and drive to be the best will make it and the rest doesn't matter.

And not for nothing, the best all around players in high school end up in right field. It's a tough sell to the young kids (I remember well) but there are 3 OF positions and just the 1 kid who gets to play SS.
Sandman98
AG
Quito said:

That's what I'm thinking. Only concern is getting "left out" on some of these teams when they are older because they are set with a good core.

No matter how good that team is at 8u, only about two or three kids will turn out to be good enough to make up the core of a good 13u team. It's science. If you wait, and your kid stays good, he'll have his pick of teams with which to play. Being on a "super team" is fine as long as you've waited until they play on the big field. Very few kids on dominant 8u teams are any good at 13+.
Quito
AG
My nominee for post of the day...or year.

This makes me feel good. It's in line with what I think, but as a Dad want to make sure I make good decisions. Right now, I'm making decision to do what he wants.

Still curious what Brauny thinks. In my mind, a team coached by a guy like him is perfect situation.
Aggie
AG
13-14 is a good age to enter the select ball world

I literally laugh at all these 7u 8u 9u teams
Your kid is not gonna get left behind
Your gonna wasn't a ton $
13-14 is fine

I promise
Aggie
AG
Quito said:

Question is about waiting to get on "competitive teams". By not doing it now at 7,8 or 9 years old, will my kids be left out at 10-12 when we do feel it's more appropriate. Will these competitive teams asking us now, be set with their core group and relegate new kids to outfield? Will these teams be full and not accept new guys?

At 10-12 years old who cares ?
Outfield? Sorry is that not a position in baseball anymore?
Coach Robe said it best. Select model is a bad model because nobody learns how to sit the bench.
Nobody learns how to be a teammate
Now just playing time is not enough?... but it's gotta be in the infield?

I'm just gonna stop here
Quito
AG
More in relation to Dads calling the shots regardless of talent level.

Yes, outfield and any other position is great (and fun).

Simply referring to Dads getting together and putting their kids in prime positions regardless of talent.
AggieBill005
AG
Quito-
Good to see another KC area resident on the board (OP near 119th/Switzer here).

My kid is only 18 months so I've got a long ways to go. BUT... I am a child psychologist with interests in physical activity engagement and pain rehabilitation.

If your kid isnt interested, then thats it for right now. Period. A lot of parents get so wrapped up in trying to think about what is best for their kid that we forget our kids often have a good idea of what they want to do too. Now, dont get me wrong - this does not mean they always get to call the shots. =)

What I hear is that you want to make sure that his options stay open in the future. Yet, as many posters have also stated, at his age there is so much more benefit to doing multiple things. Use the activities right now to foster work ethic, teach patience, and how to be a team player. If he is good, then teach him leadership --- instill the value of helping to work with his team mates and elevate them.

If he has talent and the work ethic, when hes 14 there will still be options. From my understanding, these leagues are stupidly cliquey, full of the little league parent stereotypes. But ultimately they want the most talented players they can get - if thats your kid a few years from now, then he will have the opportunity at that time.

But I am doomed to come down on the side of what I think is best for a child's over all development, even if that may not be what is best for their baseball/sports path. (Sorry!)

[EDITED ADDITION]: Also, if these leagues are just dads playing favoritism (as you seem to indicate), then F that. You and your son dont need that crap.
Quito
AG
You aren't far from me...I'm at 148th and Nall.

My boys love sports, but know school and church come first (don't even get me started on how much emphasis folks place on sports rather than school and Church.

They will continue to play and they love it...so much so, he subs on other teams when needed.

I'm proud he wanted to play with his friends rather than a super team. Just hoping this is correct decision in a couple years...I know he will eventually want/need to play with better players. At that time, my hope is that kids all get a fair shot vs, clique daddy ball teams.
Clown_World
If your kid wants to play, and you have to ability to get him on a team, let him play. Playing a game they love is never bad for a kid...it's when the adults start cramming it down their throats and the select organizations try to hit you in the wallet over and over when the problems start. Just a few words of advice from a HS coach's perspective:

1. Multiple sports are GREAT for young kids. We see a lot of kids try out as freshman who have good baseball skill but very limited athleticism. Encourage your sons to play as much as they want...it's a helluva lot better than fortnite. And you will also get just as much bang for your buck paying to help your kids become better athletes as opposed to all the lessons. (Follow Zach Dechant on Twitter).

2. If your kids ever pitch and a select organization wants them to play and pitch year round, run far far away. 12 year old kids have absolutely no business throwing 100+ competitive innings in a calendar year. Big leaguers throw 200 innings and then take 2+ months off. Someone that wants your kid to play competitively 10 months a year just wants your money.

3. The game should always be fun at that age. At 7, they want you to be there and watch them and then go get ice cream afterwards. Baseball is a tough sport mentally just by its nature. Be positive with them. Celebrate their success and help them learn when they fail. The "Little League Dad" thing is very real...and it rarely helps the kid.
RGV AG
AG
This is a common question, both verbalized and one I have asked myself at least 500 times in the last 5 years. From the get go I will say I despise the travel/select set up in any sport, and in saying that I will say that my only daughter has been and is hip deep in travel softball since age 9. She is now 13.

I won't address the technicalities of Baseball as I really don't know that much about it. But in general terms I will note the following about getting involved in travel sports as we have seen it. From friends and teammates that have boys playing BB a lot is shared in the overall experience. The benefits of playing on a select/travel team as I see them is it keeps kids off the phone for a period of time and emphasizes some other important things that a lot of other kids don't get, same for the video games and fortnight or whatever it is. Participation teaches responsibility and commitment and from an early age teaches or forces the decision of going to a birthday party or sleep over versus going to practice or going to a game. Those responsibilities come at us big time as we become adults. I find that my daughter can handle these decisions or sacrifices much better than her friends that do not do select/travel/club sports.

I do not know about baseball, but the one big advantage that I see in girls that play select as opposed to those that don't is that their knowledge of the game is far superior. Athleticism and technique can be taught to/absorbed by a talented athlete, but knowledge of the game (and in BB and SB it matters) there is no substitute for experience. The other thing I believe it helps is with confidence and in being able to "handle" pressure.

My daughter is a good player, solid and good, but not exceptional. Currently, besides her normal team(s) she is playing with one of the local high schools offseason team, she is going into 8th grade, and the difference in her abilities and knowledge of the game is glaringly obvious in girls going into 11th and 12th grades with varsity letters. There are better athletes and stronger girls on the team, they are basically women whereas my daughter is between a girl and woman, but her smarts about the game are far beyond the girls that have not played travel. I don't know if that is the case in Baseball, but I imagine that it is similar.

At the young age that your boys are you should be able to find what I have coined as a "logical" travel team, and they do exist. One where the emphasis isn't on winning at all costs (that is coach ego and the most sinister thing about the travel/select deal asides from the fleecing of money) but on keeping a group of kids together and making it a positive and fun experience while learning the joys of victory and the agony of defeat. Any travel team that does not encourage or allow for their members to play other sports, especially at your kids age, shouldn't even be considered. Nor should one that has a "balls to the wall" schedule of tournaments and practices and is focused on going hither and yon to national tournaments.

"Daddyball" is a real deal and when coupled with the win at all costs egos of some of these coaches it is just off the hook stupid. Do not get caught up in that situation. I do not believe that a true athletically gifted kid would be truly hampered by not playing select/travel, as they will over come it with determination and skill. But the path will be harder.

I have talked to some HS coaches, and college coaches, and the one thing they say is that they find that the select/travel experience, for those that make it through and do it correctly, enables a kid going into HS to be more prepared mentally for the commitment necessary to truly be elite. I have also seen some exceptional girls burn out and flee from the overbearing situations that over eager parents and coaches have put them in.

If you can find the right situation and your boys enjoy it, I would give it a whirl.
RGLAG85
AG
ta93e said:

And not for nothing, the best all around players in high school end up in right field. It's a tough sell to the young kids (I remember well) but there are 3 OF positions and just the 1 kid who gets to play SS.
Most everything you said was correct but I'm just trying to make sure what you're saying here is what you believe?
LukeDuke
AG
My advice is to put your boys in the most competitive situation possible without sacrificing reps. Also, get them on a team with a paid coach at some point before high school. Paid coaches are uncommon at their age, but will be more prevalent as they advance. After all, the goal is to one day (beginning with high school) play for a paid coach...and playing for paid coaches usually brings about better instruction and less parent BS.
KatyAg88
Quito,
Just be patient. Your kids are not going to be left behind. Play multiple sports for fun now and watch many of those other young kids on select teams burn out and disappear because super comp dad burned them out. I see it a lot. I can't speak for your recreation league dad coaches situation. Some coaches may have actually played advanced ball, but some are just being an involved dad that don't know crap. Play in the most competitive leagues around you which may or may not be LL. Invest in private lessons so you know he is getting good instruction, especially hitting. As said above, you will eventually need to play on a team with paid coaches if they want to play competitively. Look for a team where a dad is not managing the team. Good luck.
aggiebrad94
AG
One more comment - regarding the "friends" aspect to it. Just make a conscious effort to have his friends over to play. Select ball is a terrible reason - and expensive one - to keep a kid near his buddies.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
in a similar situation
2 boys, 10 and 7.
both are playing up a division in the local rec program. Both have had good dad coaches, relatively speaking and both made all stars this year. I assistant coach both kiddos teams. both have been invited to tryout for select teams, but have resisted the temptation. travel ball, in my opinion, is getting watered down, at least in the Austin area. so many teams, and so many folks jumping from travel from rec. Both serve a purpose I suppose because there is a market for it. My plan is to keep both in rec until 12, then that fall make the change to a select program. In the meantime, we get them some lessons here and there to keep mechanics reasonably consistent. But both kids are growing, so their bodies are changing all the time and their mechanics change as well.

Besides, rec ball still leaves time for camping, fishing ( which they love as much as baseball), and making to Saturday Aggie Baseball games, as well as Sundays, so long as the SEC doesn't pull this Thurs - Sat conference series BS.

time is important, and if both kids are playing on separate teams, then you and mom are going to have to divide and conquer. Rec lets you more than likely play at the same complex consistently and lets the whole family, sibling included watch the other play. Its amazing how much my younger kiddo picked up my watching, and even warming up with the older kiddos prior to the game.

Like baseball, keep it simple and don't overthink it.
RGV AG
AG
Good advice. For those of you that live up the state in more "civilized" areas there are several variations of "select" teams that are basically rec teams, and that continue to play rec, that started together and have a much more logical and sensible manner of playing together. If one of those were an option I would strongly recommend it.

On the girls side the best select teams I have seen, aside from some outright hard recruiting teams, through the 14 year age group are ones that started playing together at a young age and have kept he bulk of their make up the same. And they do not do the crazy travel schedules. I know of a couple of BB teams that are similar as well. The kids enjoy the hell out of it.
643=2
For what it's worth, I recently listened to a great podcast related to this very topic from David Epstein on his new book: Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World.

https://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/traffic.libsyn.com/secure/fool/07_05_2019_Motley_Fool_Money.mp3?dest-id=13195
AggieBill005
AG
RGLAG85 said:

ta93e said:

Most everything you said was correct but I'm just trying to make sure what you're saying here is what you believe?

I absolutely believe it. Any player who is good at their position is JUST as valuable as any other player, save maybe for pitching.

I remember watching Cory Patton when I was in school. Guy had a CANNON and it really limited what other teams were able to do on the base paths --- he played right field. It really wasnt until watching him that I appreciated that outfielders could absolutely be weapons too.
BurnetAggie99
Come chat with me when you get ready for select ball. I'm a coach with one of the winninest premier select clubs and we have a branch in Austin
ABATTBQ87
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Come chat with me when you get ready for select ball. I'm a coach with one of the winninest premier select clubs and we have a branch in Austin
no wonder Burnet HS baseball is so good, and Marble Falls is so bad!
BurnetAggie99
I'm also on our local Pony & Youth baseball board and have been for many years. So also volunteer there and alot of the kids that play Select for us, also play league for additional reps and the games are during the week. Pony has Pony Select now as well so it allows local leagues to field teams looking for a more competitive play and keeps kids involved still in the local leagues.

Yea for the most part I have alot of the local Burnet and surrounding area players playing for me in the the Select club I've been with. Same for the HS age kids as well. We also do Fall Ball just enough to stay active and not interfere with football and have a few Fall Ball Showcases for the HS age guys.

We don't get everybody in the area as you have some competition with Canes, GPS, Hurricanes and so forth but most see how we develop all kids, what the organization has done as a whole and we have great relationships with the HS coaches in the area.

Psychag
AG
At their ages let them play multiple sports. As they get older (7th-8th grades), if they want to continue to play baseball at a high level, then I'd suggest getting them involved with a select baseball organization. In this day and age they would be competing for h.s. starting time with fellow Summer ball participants. There are organizations that emphasize development of fundamentals, but you will need to be vigilant with finding them. If your kids look like pitching talent, then search for individual pitching instruction. Also, if they look like they may want to play college, then summer ball will be the primary path towards this goal. College recruits, for the most part, don't care about high school performance.
BurnetAggie99
Some kids and parents are blown away when they find out and hear it from scouts themselves that high school performances don't mean anything and you don't see scouts flock to high school baseball games like you do for say football. Now they will show up in the playoffs.

They always at the Select Tournaments I'm mean here at the WWBA right now every scout under the sun is here and they always stay in touch with the select coaches at big organizations asking what you got coach. Also we host big time scoutdays held on major universities like A&M and invite all the scouts to attend. We feed them, take care of them and then they see all our players starting from the incoming freshman age through HS.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
Preciate it. Send your contact info to nwenso @ gmail_dot_com when you have a moment.
BurnetAggie99
Sent you a email.
rayneag
AG
My son was finishing Little League when select teams were getting started in the 90s so I missed that decision. However, I was active in coaching until he got to High Scool. First, as I cautioned my fellow coaches and parents in Little League they have not discovered girls that changes everything lets just keep them all interested in all sports Until they get to High School. Second, it is the High School coach and program that matters. The HS he attended had 5 baseball teams 2-fres, 2 Soph the HS teams played fall, spring and summer baseball 10 months. On those teams the coaches batted the line up. My son played in a smaller little League only 1 player in his age started for the Varsity HS team the field narrows as they get older. Keep your children involved in extracricular activities through HS it keeps them active with other students who are doing positive things. My thoughts play as many sports as they want where the all around experience is positive to your child. I believe in repetive stress injuries are an issue with just one sport year round. Think about Karate or Judo it teaches agility and a code. When they get to middle school some track coaching or camp will help all sports. If you know where your children are going to HS send your children to their camps or schools if they have them. Some children are a great players at 12 and then don't grow much in middle and High School while other children are akward in early years and in high school grow into athletes. Most of all enjoy the time with your children before they get to high school. Do as many family activities as you can together. Once they get to High School every thing changes the foundation you helped your children developed will be critical. Also, those four years past at a very rapid rate one day the are entering as freshman the next thing they are graduating. This was told to me by another and it proved to be so true!
Wooahhhh
AG
I coach HS fastpitch, inevitably, the new kid (9th gr) that shows up in the Spring & played volleyball or basketball seems to be coachable & has an interest to learn the nuances of the game (prob because she's not playing sb year round). I vote for multiple sports, but it's not an easy way to go. Good discussion!
texasag_01
AG
My 2 cents from what I've experienced so far. My kid has enjoyed the game and has a desire to work at it. He plays at a competitive level for his age at the moment. Only thing I've tried to do is surround him with kids that enjoy working and putting extra time in as well. He has the chance every season to change direction if he so desires, it's his choice.

One other thing. As far as coaching, don't get caught up in teams that push paid coaching. I've seen "coaches" with pro ball experience that simply can't teach. Sit back and watch how they interact with the players. Can they really see a kids swing and help that individual player, or are they simply "coaching" the kids by regurgitating the same instruction over and over. Good luck an enjoy it. By the way, the worst part of all this can actually be the parents!
Alpha Texan
AG
Sorry to chip in so late, I wouldn't stress it too much now. The coaching your kid will get in on of those major programs is not going to lead to a lot of improvements that you and local coaching can't provide anyway. Even when they are older, being involved in a huge program isn't necessary, but I would have to recommend it once they start about 8th grade if they have the skill and desire to play baseball. For now, have them play another sport or 2 in addition to baseball to help develop them as an athlete.

I'm just 20, i seem to remember all the programs that take kids from age 5 through high school becoming extremely widespread when I was about 10, but I never played with one. My team consisted of about 12 guys from a couple towns (populations 400 and 7000) but some of this guys were great players and we won several SS and USSSA tournaments and had the opportunity to go play in tournaments for showcase programs and get the kind of exposure major programs get. About 5 of those guys are still playing today, one who was two years younger than the rest of us was recruited by A&M but turned down the offer to go to play and study at Brown.

If you want your kid to get good coaching and development, you don't need to get involved in a major program right now. The biggest recommendation I could give you, what I wish my parents had done with me, is have them play up at least a year, maybe 2. This helps a lot when they get to high school and they've already been playing summer ball with 15 year olds
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.