Eligibility ?

3,256 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Boozer92
rrtodds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M softball head coach Jo Evans has announced the addition of transfer pitcher/outfielder Makinzy Herzog.

Herzog, a sophomore from Missouri City, Texas, is eligible to compete immediately for the Aggies and has three years of eligibility remaining.

Her performance in 2019 earned her a spot on the All-ACC Freshman Team as well as the NFCA Southeast All-Region Second Team.

Eligibility ?

How is a sophomore transfer "eligible to compete immediately" having just played her freshman year in 2019?

Aggies2009
AG
There were new transfer rules introduced a year ago. Probably has something to do with that- it made transferring super easy and is one of the reasons why many girls transferred out (and in).
rrtodds
AG
Could be although I thought transfer rules had tightened.
Ags06Win
AG
Softball has different transfer rules... there is no required sit out year.
AggieBill005
AG
Glad someone else was confused. I asked the question a couple weeks ago and was told she was eligible - I still didnt understand why.

I didnt know that transfer rules were sport specific - thought it was NCAA wide.
clendenin
AG
If a non-graduate player transfers in baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men's ice hockey they have to sit out a season.

rrtodds
AG
Thanks, Scott and Ags06win ... I had just come back to update my question to ... why does the new women's basketball transfer have to sit out but not the softball transfer.

The only thing consistent about ncaa transfer rules is inconsistency???
Chef Demas 2020
AG
I think the transfer rules for all non- revenue sports permit immediate eligibility.
Belton Ag
AG
I'd actually like to see the transfer rules for softball tighten up a bit. I like the graduate transfer rule but it's too easy for undergrads to transfer and I actually think it teaches the wrong lessons to young adults. Just my opinion.
rrtodds
AG
Agreed.
Tex100
AG
Belton Ag said:

I'd actually like to see the transfer rules for softball tighten up a bit. I like the graduate transfer rule but it's too easy for undergrads to transfer and I actually think it teaches the wrong lessons to young adults. Just my opinion.
But their scholarship is on a year to year basis.
Belton Ag
AG
Tex100 said:

Belton Ag said:

But their scholarship is on a year to year basis.
Sure. Scholarship reform is another, separate, issue that also needs addressing.
Boozer92
AG
Scholarships are 4 years. Can't be taken away or reduced for performance. That is option for all schools but a requirement for all power schools
Boozer92
AG
https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.