Chad Caillet - New hitting coach

9,097 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BoozingAg
themissinglink
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/sports/college/southern-miss/blitz/2018/01/04/ace-hole-chad-caillet-top-notch-right-hand-man-southern-miss-scott-berry/1002025001/

Quote:

Caillet, who can most often be found pounding the pavement on the recruiting trail or camped out behind home plate during batting practice studying each player's every swing, is widely considered one of the top assistant coaches in all of college baseball. In 2017, he was named C-USA Assistant Coach of the Year. The season before, Caillet was recognized as one of the two best recruiters in the league based on a poll conducted by D1baseball.com.
Quote:

Regarded as both a dogged recruiter and among the most elite hitting coaches in college baseball, Caillet takes pride in both. Most satisfying, though, is coaching up top hitters that produce record-breaking statistics.

"Recruiting and hitting are the two things that, if you ask people in the industry, I would be labeled for," he said. "But I do what I do because I want to be on the field with the hitters. That's me."

Caillet believes those two facets work in concert with one another, producing top-flight hitters due to his skills as a recruiter and the ability to mine premier talent because of his decorated history as a hitting coach.
https://southernmiss.com/coaches.aspx?rc=112

Quote:

Caillet, who enters his 12th season as an assistant coach in Hattiesburg, serves as the team's recruiting coordinator while also working with the Golden Eagles' offense and infield defense. During the summer of 2016, Caillet was promoted to Associate Head Coach for his invaluable efforts within the program.
In 12 seasons at Southern Miss, the Golden Eagles have played in seven NCAA Regionals, one NCAA Super Regional and the 2009 College World Series. Over the last three seasons, the program has led Conference USA in almost every offensive category, while producing a school-record 94 victories over a two-year period for the program. Caillet earned the C-USA Assistant Coach of the Year award in 2017. It was the first time he achieved this honor.

During his tenure, the team has broken six single-season offensive records: runs scored (544); runs batted in (478); batting average (.324); hit batsmen (101); at bats (2,332); and on-base percentage (.422).

The Golden Eagles also led the country in double plays-turned in three consecutive seasons - 83 (2009); 84 (2010); and 81(2011) - and also finished first nationally in double plays-per game in 2010, 2011 and most recently 2013.

Caillet also has spearheaded the efforts resulting in some of the program's most-highly regarded signing pools.
Artimus Gordon
I like the sound of all that! 12 years of recruiting ties in the south. He could very well be the guy to get the program over the hump!
themissinglink
AG
I love the hire. Highly regarded hitting and recruiting coach outside of Rob's normal Nebraska/Texarkana coaching circle. No guarantee it works out, but very well regarded.
TMartin
Any mention of who from A&M was the first to approach Caillet?
technoviking
AG
Definitely the type of hire someone whom everyone knows is on their way out makes.
medog
AG
If he's related to Colbie, I'm in.
Aggie12B
AG
On paper, this looks like a solid hire. Can't wait to see how much our hitting improves with him coaching our hitters.
technoviking
AG
I'm hopeful this will make for some excellent seasons coming up
BoozingAg
I'm a little hung up on the fact he's been an assistant at the same non P5 school for a dozen years, that's really strange and not the norm in this industry. Other than that, better than I thought we'd do for sure. Really glad he has no previous RC/Nebraska/Texarkana ties.
swimmerbabe11
That's a weird way to spell Bill Mosiello.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
Aggie12B said:

On paper, this looks like a solid hire. Can't wait to see how much our hitting improves with him coaching our hitters.
Our hitting woes were mostly roster related. Our approach at the plate did not help but hitting is not as complicated as some try to make it. If you are thinking too much, you get mind screwed. It really is see the ball, hit the ball. Knowing situations and what pitches to look for can help a lot but its still hand-eye coordination and making it happen. Hopefully, new coach can help us recognize pitches and situations better. And for Pete's sake, lose the launch angle/lift swing. Barrel it up and go gap to gap. HR's will come on their own.
Warsteiner
swimmerbabe11 said:

That's a weird way to spell Bill Mosiello.

No one with believed he was coming here.
Ags #1
AG
Wasn't southern miss his alma mater?
swimmerbabe11
I'm just teasing obviously.
The one poster said it with such conviction.
merc
AG
He probably realized he'll look like a magician next season if we are even slightly improved at the plate. I hope he gets a bit more talented roster to work with at the plate as well.
W
AG
DeLoach will be a good test for the new coach. There is talent/skill there. Can Caillet help bring it forth
Warsteiner
Oh I know you were.
The poster you said that had to be trolling. At least I hope they were.
HoustonAg2106
AG
merc said:

He probably realized he'll look like a magician next season if we are even slightly improved at the plate. I hope he gets a bit more talented roster to work with at the plate as well.

Our offense has no where to go but up
Aston04
AG
technoviking said:

Definitely the type of hire someone whom everyone knows is on their way out makes.

Like the hire, but yeah it completely makes sense for someone feeling the heat on the hot seat. Like when bk fired his buddy cyp and got stansberry to come in for a bunch of money (for an asst).

For the new hire's perspective its win win. He makes the jump to p5 and probably at least doubled his salary. If it flops he probably could easily find a lateral non-p5 job thereafter and enjoy some sort of buyout.
BQ_90
AG
Welcome to Aggieland Coach Chad
SchizoAg
AG
How effing lucky are we, first having Bolt hired away amicably in a way that advances his career (best of luck to him) and now getting a stellar replacement?
Captain Pablo
AG
Aston04 said:

technoviking said:

Like the hire, but yeah it completely makes sense for someone feeling the heat on the hot seat. Like when bk fired his buddy cyp and got stansberry to come in for a bunch of money (for an asst).

For the new hire's perspective its win win. He makes the jump to p5 and probably at least doubled his salary. If it flops he probably could easily find a lateral non-p5 job thereafter and enjoy some sort of buyout.

I would assume Caillet is getting a 2 year contract
Tex100
AG
What's the norm in college, 2 or 3 years?
Captain Pablo
AG
Tex100 said:

What's the norm in college, 2 or 3 years?

Dunno

Football guys are usually 2 I think

Coordinators 3-ish I think
AggieBill005
AG
technoviking said:

You mean a good, potentially job-saving hire? Somehow, this feels like a dig at RC (apologize in advance if you didn't intend it that way).

The way I look at it is this:
- If things dont change and Caillet does not improve our numbers, then we are getting a whole new coaching staff in 2 years anyways.

- If he does turn it around and gets poached for a HC, hopefully RC will have seen the benefit of going outside his circle (which has been one of his main criticisms).

WORST case is Caillet does his thing and turns us around, gets hired away, and RC goes back to his comfort zone (and we drop off). By no means am I hoping for or predicting that as the outcome.

In looking at MBB and Football this is different for a couple of reasons:
- In MBB, BK still had a staff that could recruit. But the short comings really came top down - he could get kids on campus, but couldnt develop and keep them. And couldn't manage a roster well enough to keep full bench. So it wasnt like BK had a weakness that could be filled by the right assistant. He was the source of the issue...

- Sumlin was similar. We thought he was supposed to be an Offensive guy. When things sputtered on D, he hired away one of the (at the time) top D-Coordinators. After that, it became obvious (Kyle Allen/Kyler Murray fiasco) that the problems weren't on one side of the ball or the other, they were systematic - top down.

- Here, RC has one side of the team generally humming (pitching). Defense has been inconsistent sure. But our pitching has been a consistent strength. SO, I am hopeful that the right hire will make a big difference.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
P5 doesn't mean anything other than in football. We could have hired someone from Rutgers, Washington State or Kansas State, would have been from a P5 program but likely not a good hire. Plenty of good teams, coaches and players in basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, tennis, T&F etc. that are not at P5 schools.

This looks like a really good hire. Hope it works out well. If it doesn't, it won't be due to him coming from a non P5 program.
technoviking
AG
AggieBill005 said:

technoviking said:

You mean a good, potentially job-saving hire? Somehow, this feels like a dig at RC (apologize in advance if you didn't intend it that way).

The way I look at it is this:
- If things dont change and Caillet does not improve our numbers, then we are getting a whole new coaching staff in 2 years anyways.

- If he does turn it around and gets poached for a HC, hopefully RC will have seen the benefit of going outside his circle (which has been one of his main criticisms).

WORST case is Caillet does his thing and turns us around, gets hired away, and RC goes back to his comfort zone (and we drop off). By no means am I hoping for or predicting that as the outcome.

In looking at MBB and Football this is different for a couple of reasons:
- In MBB, BK still had a staff that could recruit. But the short comings really came top down - he could get kids on campus, but couldnt develop and keep them. And couldn't manage a roster well enough to keep full bench. So it wasnt like BK had a weakness that could be filled by the right assistant. He was the source of the issue...

- Sumlin was similar. We thought he was supposed to be an Offensive guy. When things sputtered on D, he hired away one of the (at the time) top D-Coordinators. After that, it became obvious (Kyle Allen/Kyler Murray fiasco) that the problems weren't on one side of the ball or the other, they were systematic - top down.

- Here, RC has one side of the team generally humming (pitching). Defense has been inconsistent sure. But our pitching has been a consistent strength. SO, I am hopeful that the right hire will make a big difference.

It wasn't a dig at RC, it was a dig at posters that constantly flood the board with fire Childress remarks even when it's obvious he isn't going anywhere and is capable of making hires that don't fit those same posters narratives about Childress.

Good post, by the way.
Aston04
AG
Quote:

Yes, bk didn't really have a strength per se imo. You could say good recruiter, but then left fatal gaps in the roster where we were so low on depth we had to play walkons on a regular basis throughout his tenure. Significant discipline issues were also a frequent problem.

Coaching-- bk wasn't a tactitian, nor really a motivator (at least by most accounts and compared to peer coaches).

On the other hand, rc does have clear strengths he brings to the table- namely pitching . A great batting assistant could do wonders for him.
aggiedaddie
Glad to hear the search is over. Sounds like a solid find. Looking forward to watching another season. Best of luck to Caillet and hope he has a lot of success here both coaching and recruiting.
pattybrhg
Recruiting hitters could help our defense in a round about way too. We've been trying to fit what little offense we could on the field and have had to have some interesting lineups with some defensive liabilities to do it. Just getting actual position players to hit could incrementally help the defense.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Maybe I missed it. Has this been confirmed via 12thman.com, presser, press release, stament from RC or Caillet, etc.?
greg.w.h
AG
Here's the link to the TexAgs article by Gabe.

https://texags.com/s/32698/analysis-texas-am-hires-southern-miss-hitting-coach-chad-caillet/8
Wicked Good Ag
Speaking of defense who steps in and takes the shortstop position ??
Lemmys Rickenbacker
Jarrin' Jay said:

Maybe I missed it. Has this been confirmed via 12thman.com, presser, press release, stament from RC or Caillet, etc.?
Caillet has an Aggie baseball logo on his Twitter page.
cheeky
AG
Southern Miss has made 4 NCAA's in a row, but only 4 of past 8 seasons and hasn't been to a Super Regional since 2009. In the past 4 Regionals, they have a record of 6-8 including 0-5 vs SEC. These also-ran stats are about what I expected RC to land given the uncertainty around his future in Aggieland, and would seem to confirm his status in the coaching fraternity as a lame duck.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.