Here's How are you have to handle this, IMO. And it pains me..

6,288 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BoozingAg
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You tack on one more year to Rob's contract

You go out and get the best damn hitting coach in the country that you can, and you offer him two years guaranteed if you have to do it to get him here

If you are the athletic director, and you have to buy out after a bad season in 2020, then you go friggin find the money to do it. No excuses. Tell John Sharp to go jump in the creek if you have to. He needs to be gone anyway

This is the only way you can fight the lame duck stigma. This is the only way you get somebody decent in town

The first thing I will do is to cleclare myself supreme dictator, and the first person who whines about a buy out next season if Rob has a bad season, gets kicked in the nuts and sent straight to the Siberian salt mines for a 20 year stretch.
Captain Pablo
AG
And In my opinion, that buyout necessity occurs unless Rob host a regional, or makes the College World Series.

Short of that, Rob needs to go find someplace else to work. We've seen enough
BoozingAg
Nope. Just deal with whatever next year brings. What you're proposing is going to involve the same buyout RC has right now plus whatever assistant coach buyouts and the same people that are mad about what we are paying people will have that much more ammo.
Captain Pablo
AG
BoozingAg said:

Nope. Just deal with whatever next year brings. What you're proposing is going to involve the same buyout RC has right now plus whatever assistant coach buyouts and the same people that are mad about what we are paying people will have that much more ammo.

I am fine with that, but also know that we would be pretty much Conceding the 2020 season. My scenario is only if your interest is in getting the best available hitting coach in the country, and salvaging the 2020 season

Because I believe that's what it would take to do that
BoozingAg
Captain Pablo said:

BoozingAg said:

I am fine with that, but also know that we would be pretty much Conceding the 2020 season. My scenario is only if your interest is in getting the best available hitting coach in the country, and salvaging the 2020 season

You really think a 1 year extension changes anything? I'm fully prepared to concede the 2020 season. We can't keep doing business this way.
BoozingAg
Captain Pablo said:

And In my opinion, that buyout necessity occurs unless Rob host a regional, or makes the College World Series.

The problem with that is what if we have another 2017. Now you can't fire him.
Wicked Good Ag
BoozingAg said:

Captain Pablo said:

BoozingAg said:

You really think a 1 year extension changes anything? I'm fully prepared to concede the 2020 season. We can't keep doing business this way.

Why are you conceding the 2020 season?? Worst hitting in 15 years and so close to regional host. Hitting can't get much worse and we arguably might be better on the bump this coming year then this year or at least not a huge drop off
Basketball and Chain
AG
BoozingAg said:

Captain Pablo said:

You have fun going to Omaha just like I did in 2017
BoozingAg
Basketball and Chain said:

BoozingAg said:

Captain Pablo said:

Who didn't see that post coming.

All Omaha trips aren't the same. If you put a complete team on the field that's a top 8 seed and get there, that's one thing. Getting there as a 3 seed with the kind of help we got in 2017 is another. Now, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just a horrible barometer for evaluating a coach.
Captain Pablo
AG
Going to Omaha is a good thing
Aggies2009
AG
I don't think a good hitting coach would leave where they're at to come here for a guaranteed 2 years even. Unless the money was the equivalent of like 4 years or something. Especially when they'll be expected to turn things around with players who are not theirs. That said, for a good hitting coach, it'd be easy to outperform what we did this past year.
twk
AG
I'm not convinced the buyout is an issue on the assistant coaching hire. If it is, we can probably give Rob an extension while getting some kind of relief on the buyout. If Rob isn't willing to do that, then I just don't see the point. This is a two way street. And, if we really just do view the buyout as being the cost of doing business, potential assistant hires are going to realize that and judge accordingly.

On the other hand, when it comes to assistant coaches, I'm not sure if our assistants get one year or two year contracts (one is the norm in baseball but we might do 2). Either way, if Bolt's replacement comes here for a 2 year contract (assuming that's what we'll offer regardless of whether or not that is our SOP), worst case scenario is that he works one and gets paid for two. If you get a guy that has done all that he can accomplish at his current job, that shouldn't be a hard sell.
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

Captain Pablo said:

BoozingAg said:

What a terrible take. The off-season has just started and you want to write next year off. You aren't just ready to write next year off, you want to write next year off. For as much as you grandstand about accepting mediocrity and loser mentality, I gotta say, the position you are taking here is the biggest loser mentality I've seen on this board.
BoozingAg
Wait a minute.

When the season is still going on, we aren't supposed to be critical, we are supposed to wait and see how it plays out.

Now that it's over, we can't be critical now either?
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

Wait a minute.

When the season is still going on, we aren't supposed to be critical, we are supposed to wait and see how it plays out.

Preparing to lose next season isn't being critical, it's just a loser mentality
BoozingAg
I've got enough data to support my position, and my mindset isn't going to change how many games we win.
technoviking
AG
BoozingAg said:

I've got enough data to support my position, and my mindset isn't going to change how many games we win.

That's been painfully obvious for a while now.
twk
AG
Quote:

my mindset isn't going to change how many games we win.
There's the truth right there
BoozingAg
technoviking said:

BoozingAg said:

That's been painfully obvious for a while now.
So has my evaluation of RC
jkag89
BoozingAg said:

Wait a minute.

I don't think most of us have ever said you couldn't be critical during season much less after although most would prefer folks would not bleed all over game threads and if critical it would be nice if the criticism had some actual depth to it. In other words, the posters that only contribution to the board during the season is a constant dirge of RC must go gets very old very quickly.
jkag89

BoozingAg said:

Captain Pablo said:

Isn't it clear by now, Booze can not have fun following Aggie baseball until RC is gone. He has come to the conclusion that it must and that it will happen and until it does happen whether Fightin' Texas Aggie baseball has good moments (or not) they should not be enjoyed because until RC is gone the program can not move forward.
Aggies2009
AG
jkag89 said:

BoozingAg said:

Captain Pablo said:

Isn't it clear by now, Booze can not have fun following Aggie baseball until RC is gone. He has come to the conclusion that it must and that it will happen and until it does happen whether Fightin' Texas Aggie baseball has good moments they should not be enjoyed because until that happens the program can not move forward.
Booze doesn't follow Aggie Baseball. It was just the most recent chance he had to jump on a "FIRE THE COACH" bandwagon and he's taking it. As soon as Childress is gone, he'll disappear, heading over to whatever board has a struggling team to start clamoring that the coach be fired immediately, similar to how he did once Kennedy was let go lol!
jkag89
I am convinced he does not follow it for the enjoyment of the game itself, it is all about being able to sneer at his sippie neighbor or thump his chest at the office.
Aggies2009
AG
jkag89 said:

I am convinced he does not follow it for the enjoyment of the game itself, it is all about being able to sneer at his sippie neighbor or thump his chest at the office.
Considering how riled up he gets (moreso than normal) when we play Texas, I can believe that. It's an Old Rivalries poster, after all.
deh40
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Host a regional or make the World Series? Those are very different baselines. Just hosting a regional should not save Rob.
BoozingAg
Aggies2009 said:

jkag89 said:

Considering how riled up he gets (moreso than normal) when we play Texas, I can believe that. It's an Old Rivalries poster, after all.

You have proof of this?
BoozingAg
Aggies2009 said:

jkag89 said:

BoozingAg said:

Captain Pablo said:

Isn't it clear by now, Booze can not have fun following Aggie baseball until RC is gone. He has come to the conclusion that it must and that it will happen and until it does happen whether Fightin' Texas Aggie baseball has good moments they should not be enjoyed because until that happens the program can not move forward.
Booze doesn't follow Aggie Baseball. It was just the most recent chance he had to jump on a "FIRE THE COACH" bandwagon and he's taking it. As soon as Childress is gone, he'll disappear, heading over to whatever board has a struggling team to start clamoring that the coach be fired immediately, similar to how he did once Kennedy was let go lol!

You seem really mad. This is all you two have now. Posts about what and where I post about because I was right all along. And all the blue stars in the world from the board regulars won't change that.
BoozingAg
So we all know next season is a contract year. It's either win enough for an extension or be fired. So with 15 years of data, is a season in which we are in as a 3 seed, get a ton of help to win the Regional and the Super, and then go 0-2 again in Omaha a good thing for the long term of the program if that results in a contract extension? If you're an objective fan who has been following this program, no, it's not. If you're an unobjective cheerleader, then you don't care about long term and you enjoy watching us play without needing to feel like the coach who has been here a decade and a half is capable of competing for a national championship.

We just have different mindsets.
TempleAg97
AG
You don't fire a coach that makes it to Omaha, ever (the year that he makes it there). I'm not sure if that's ever happened anywhere. Do you even read what you write? You may need to seek professional help.
Goro Majima
AG
Captain Pablo said:

You go out and get the best damn hitting coach in the country that you can, and you offer him two years guaranteed if you have to do it to get him here

If you are the athletic director, and you have to buy out after a bad season in 2020, then you go friggin find the money to do it. No excuses. Tell John Sharp to go jump in the creek if you have to. He needs to be gone anyway

This is the only way you can fight the lame duck stigma. This is the only way you get somebody decent in town

The first thing I will do is to cleclare myself supreme dictator, and the first person who whines about a buy out next season if Rob has a bad season, gets kicked in the nuts and sent straight to the Siberian salt mines for a 20 year stretch.
Not a bad idea. I especially like that one.
sharpdressedman
Captain Pablo said:

Might be too complicated by half.
twk
AG
Your complaining about others lack of objectivity is the height of hypocrisy. If you had any self awareness whatsoever, you wouldn't make the ridiculous claims that you do.

Objectively, we have a coach who does just enough to make it extremely difficult to fire. You, however, contend that any sane person would have fired him after a "lucky" run to Omaha. I would suggest that your ability to judge the mental faculties of others isn't a strong suit.
jkag89
BoozingAg said:

Aggies2009 said:

jkag89 said:

BoozingAg said:

Captain Pablo said:

You seem really mad. This is all you two have now. Posts about what and where I post about because I was right all along. And all the blue stars in the world from the board regulars won't change that.
Not angry at all. If I'm wrong about you I apologize but it is simply how you come across to me. I think my post 4:55p, 6/18/19 is dead on and reinforced by the fact that you are concerned that RC might "luck" his way to Omaha again and then we'll be forced to give him an extension. Sorry but with all the posts over the years, under the various users names, I do not recall a single post in which there is even a hint you derived any pleasure from the Game itself. In fact you scoff at any of us that simply relish the baseball season for the baseball season.
BoozingAg
TempleAg97 said:

You don't fire a coach that makes it to Omaha, ever (the year that he makes it there). I'm not sure if that's ever happened anywhere. Do you even read what you write? You may need to seek professional help.
That was my point. You know, if you read what I wrote, that's pretty obvious.
BoozingAg
twk said:

Your complaining about others lack of objectivity is the height of hypocrisy. If you had any self awareness whatsoever, you wouldn't make the ridiculous claims that you do.

Objectively, we have a coach who does just enough to make it extremely difficult to fire. You, however, contend that any sane person would have fired him after a "lucky" run to Omaha. I would suggest that your ability to judge the mental faculties of others isn't a strong suit.
See my above post. Obviously, you don't fire a coach the year he makes it to Omaha, regardless of how he got there or how he did there. None of y'all are willing to reply directly to my point.

Again, next season, if we make it to Omaha as a 3 seed, get help in the Regional with the host losing to the 4 seed, and then have the host of the Regional we are paired with lose to a 4 seed, and then beat that 4 seed in our park to get to Omaha, where we again go 0-2, which then results in a contract extension for RC, is that the best thing for the long term of the program?

If we were talking about a coach that had several national seeds, made 4-5 trips to Omaha and won games there during his decade and a half run as our HC, that would be one thing, but that's not what we have here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.