Should Mainieri be on the hot seat?

2,377 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by zagman
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The bad:
79-53 (32-28) over last two seasons. Most losses in two year span since the 1980's
2 consecutive years without a CWS appearance. Since making their first ever CWS in 1986 only twice has LSU gone 3 years without a CWS appearance (05-07, 10-12)
Lots of pitching injuries in recent years. Is that coaching?
Hasn't won an SEC regular season or Tournament championship since 2017

The good:
Before the last two seasons LSU was a Top 8 seed 6 consecutive years
In 2017 LSU played UF for the national championship
The last several teams LSU has lost out to won the national championship

This seems to be a case of "what have you done for me lately". 2009 National Champ, 4 time SEC champ, 6 SEC tournament championships, but the last two seasons are "historically" bad for back to back years in LSUs 30 year baseball history. Combine that with a decade since the last CWS championship and people on the bayou are looking for a change. They view LSU baseball like Bama football or UK basketball in the SEC.

Should he be on the hot seat in 2020?
Amarillo Slim
AG
I have yet to meet an LSU baseball fan or high school coach who likes Manieri and wants him there.
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
Rusty GCS said:

The bad:
79-53 (32-28) over last two seasons. Most losses in two year span since the 1980's
2 consecutive years without a CWS appearance. Since making their first ever CWS in 1986 only twice has LSU gone 3 years without a CWS appearance (05-07, 10-12)
Lots of pitching injuries in recent years. Is that coaching?
Hasn't won an SEC regular season or Tournament championship since 2017

The good:
Before the last two seasons LSU was a Top 8 seed 6 consecutive years
In 2017 LSU played UF for the national championship
The last several teams LSU has lost out to won the national championship

This seems to be a case of "what have you done for me lately". 2009 National Champ, 4 time SEC champ, 6 SEC tournament championships, but the last two seasons are "historically" bad for back to back years in LSUs 30 year baseball history. Combine that with a decade since the last CWS championship and people on the bayou are looking for a change. They view LSU baseball like Bama football or UK basketball in the SEC.

Should he be on the hot seat in 2020?

By LSU standards, yes.

We would have built him a statue.
mwlkr
AG
I would take him in College Station in a heartbeat.
schmellba99
AG
Every swamp tigger I know is ready for him to leave Baton Rouge. Anecdotal, I know. But I'm around those people a lot.
HoustonAg2106
AG
The previous two years might not have been up to LSU standards, but all of his years prior to that absolutely were.

He makes over $1 million a year and his contract is through 2024...he's not going anywhere for at least three more seasons (maybe two if they start missing regionals)
BoozingAg
I think his seat got warmer when Woodward was hired. He needs to get back to playing Regionals and Supers in BR and getting back to the CWS. Woodward being an LSU alumni knows what the standard is there for baseball.
jja79
AG
2 rough seasons. I'd give him about 12 more to get it turned around.
Ag for Life
AG
We'll trade them RC straight up.
nereus
AG
BoozingAg said:

I think his seat got warmer when Woodward was hired. He needs to get back to playing Regionals and Supers in BR and getting back to the CWS. Woodward being an LSU alumni knows what the standard is there for baseball.
He has played regionals in BR 7 of the last 8 years. They have played supers in BR for 4 of the last 5 years.

Side note: If an LSU fan thinks Mainieri tenure hasn't been good and Smoke's was a disaster, do they also consider LSU basically a one hit wonder when it comes to baseball? If Mainieri and Smoke's teams don't count, LSU really has just had one good coach with one heck of a run for their entire baseball history. Outside of that one coach, they haven't been good, right?
BoozingAg
Quote:

He has played regionals in BR 7 of the last 8 years. They have played supers in BR for 4 of the last 5 years

Clearly I meant being awarded a top 8 seed and making Omaha. Not just one of the 3, and not playing a Super at home because the top 8 you were paired with lost.
jkag89
I seem to remember a similar thread on TexAgs about Van Horn a few years ago. I think Hog baseball fans are mostly happy they kept him.
zagman
AG
The l$u (know it all's) are no different than the Ags (know it all's)!

My Patton signature say it all for the above!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.