We're going after the Ole Miss hitting coach

17,920 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wicked Good Ag
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I've been told that an offer has not yet been extended by A&M to Ole Miss hitting coach Mike Clement. There may be talks happening by no offer is on the table just yet. However, I personally would be surprised if an offer doesn't come soon

^Per Gabe

I don't think he was apart of the hitting coaching when he was here last(2011-2013), but Ole Miss' batting has been excellent. With their hitting we would have been the frontrunner this year.
technoviking
AG
Quote:

Ole Miss hitting coach Mike Clement has been offered the same position at Texas A&M. According to sources, Clement loves it here and the people he works with and it would definitely be hard to leave. But he's considering it. His wife is from there, which, I was told, "plays a small role." She loves Oxford. We'll see. I'll update if and when I get more.
JohnnieBB
AG
I hope we can get Mike. A players coach, super hitting coach and great guy-- just ask Bryce Baum. Love to have him back.
85AustinAg
AG
blaum
Aggie1205
AG
I believe his wife is class of 09
94chem
That's great, but what we really need is hitters.
eATMup-Reveille
JohnnieBB said:

I hope we can get Mike. A players coach

That term is thrown around frequently. What exactly does that mean to you JohnnieBB?

Also, what exactly would the opposite of "a players coach" mean to you?
BQ_90
AG
did Gabe post that on open board or are you copying premium info?
MSFC Aggie
AG
From a tweet...

CoachLB
eATMup-Reveille said:

JohnnieBB said:

I hope we can get Mike. A players coach

That term is thrown around frequently. What exactly does that mean to you JohnnieBB?

Also, what exactly would the opposite of "a players coach" mean to you?
. I hope you do not mind if I give my thoughts on this. A players coach to me can be loud, vocal, or just the opposite. There are coaches that kids can just relate to. The coach who made the biggest difference for me was a real son of a gun. Tough, demanding, would not except anything but your very best at all times. But he could relate to us somehow. We knew he really cared for us in every part of our life. Even after we left he would keep up with us and we knew he would always help us and be there. Like the old saying goes we would "run through a brick wall for him." We never wanted to let him down. Listening to the A&M football players makes me believe Jimbo Fisher is a players coach. So being a players coach does not mean you are easy or not demanding. To me it means the kids respect you and believe you really want the best for them. And kids today know a fake. It has to be real and natural. .
W
AG
this is like Sumlin going after Chavis.

if you can't beat 'em join 'em and so forth
Captain Pablo
AG
Surprised Clement would consider coming here, given that Rob is on the hot seat
Chester
Where did you get that? Please be factual and not anecdotal like you and the rest of the anti-Childress crowd normally is.
Chester
BoozingAg
Do you think he isn't?
Chester
Nope, not yet.
Chester
GEA89
AG
chester said:

Nope, not yet.
Wrong my man, he was on a plan to be removed this year before Woodward leaving gave him another year. There was a faction of former students who tried to make the move anyway and put a lot of pressure on to make it happen but they decided with the new AD not in yet to table it for now.
HoustonAg2106
AG
GEA89 said:

chester said:

Nope, not yet.
Wrong my man, he was on a plan to be removed this year before Woodward leaving gave him another year. There was a faction of former students who tried to make the move anyway and put a lot of pressure on to make it happen but they decided with the new AD not in yet to table it for now.
I haven't heard this reported anywhere. People are just assuming that he would have been fired if Woodward were still here, but there is no way to know that for sure.
Chester
Never saw this reported anywhere. Prove it!

Quoting your anti-Childress friends' rants is not proof.
Chester
BoozingAg
I'm not sure anyone would think RC isn't on the hot seat, including any assistants that might come here. Whether or not you think he is doesn't matter. They know he is. They aren't dumb.
Chester
???
Chester
BoozingAg
If he wasn't on the hot seat, we'd have word of an extension
Captain Pablo
AG
chester said:

Where did you get that? Please be factual and not anecdotal like you and the rest of the anti-Childress crowd normally is.
Same place you get your info, from watching the team. He didn't deserve 2020r, and barring something along the lines of hosting a regional or a CWS berth nexxt year, he'll be gone

Why do you ask? Why do you think otherwise? Tell me your source that Rob will be back after next season
Captain Pablo
AG
chester said:

Nope, not yet.
lol

Captain Pablo
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

GEA89 said:

chester said:

Nope, not yet.
I haven't heard this reported anywhere. People are just assuming that he would have been fired if Woodward were still here, but there is no way to know that for sure.
Well you haven't paid attention

Other posters have "reported" having sources that Woodward put Rob on notice in the fall that it was super or find somewhere else to work

Whether you believe those reports, or the people that posted them, that's your call. I haven't decided. I only go by what I think he has earned, and IMO he hasn't earned further employment at A&M. If these "reports" are true, Woodward would have made a change. If they are false, still don't know, and never will (barring an email surfacing or something)

So we'll see. I think he's on the hot seat and will replaced unless he hosts a regional, or if he doesn't host a regional, squeaks to the CWS somehow. A 2017 season without the CWS won't get him 2021, IMO

We'll see
Captain Pablo
AG
And I agree with Boozing .... I think pretty much everyone but chester believes Rob is on the hot seat, and has a pretty high performance threshold to keep his job after next season

IMO it's host or CWS. MAYBE getting to a super as a 2 or 3 seed, but I'm 50-50 on that at best

Short of that, he's gone
HoustonAg2106
AG
Captain Pablo said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

GEA89 said:

chester said:

Nope, not yet.

Other posters have "reported" having sources that Woodward put Rob on notice in the fall that it was super or find somewhere else to work

Whether you believe those reports, or the people that posted them, that's your call. I haven't decided. I only go by what I think he has earned, and IMO he hasn't earned further employment at A&M. If these "reports" are true, Woodward would have made a change. If they are false, still don't know, and never will (barring an email surfacing or something)

So we'll see. I think he's on the hot seat and will replaced unless he hosts a regional, or if he doesn't host a regional, squeaks to the CWS somehow. A 2017 season without the CWS won't get him 2021, IMO

We'll see

When I said I haven't heard this reported anywhere, I meant by anyone in the media or with verifiable ties to the program. Posters "reporting sources" is not going to cut it.

I do believe he is on the hot seat and needs to do better than losing in a road regional next year, but I do not believe that he was guaranteed to have been fired this year if Woodward were still here...that would have been a pretty big buyout for a baseball coach
Gap
AG
GEA89 said:

chester said:

Nope, not yet.
Are we going back to the days where "factions of former students" run the athletic department? Why did we pay Woodward big $ and Bjork too if they are just stooges for "faction of former students"?
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Captain Pablo said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

GEA89 said:

chester said:

Nope, not yet.

We'll see

When I said I haven't heard this reported anywhere, I meant by anyone in the media or with verifiable ties to the program. Posters "reporting sources" is not going to cut it.

I do believe he is on the hot seat and needs to do better than losing in a road regional next year, but I do not believe that he was guaranteed to have been fired this year if Woodward were still here...that would have been a pretty big buyout for a baseball coach
The lack of any sort of extension talk makes these posters much more believable. Also, the people making these statements have been spot-on in the past.
HoustonAg2106
AG
powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Captain Pablo said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

GEA89 said:

chester said:

Nope, not yet.

We'll see

The lack of any sort of extension talk makes these posters much more believable. Also, the people making these statements have been spot-on in the past.

He didn't do anything this year to warrant an extension...he has two years left on his deal and if he has a successful year next year I'm sure he will get extended.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Without an extension, it will affect the quality of assistant coach than can be hired. It will also hinder recruiting, right?

Either shlt or get off the pot. Extend him, and help him hire a quality assistant, or fire him. Doing neither accomplishes nothing.
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Captain Pablo said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

GEA89 said:

chester said:

Nope, not yet.

We'll see

He didn't do anything this year to warrant an extension...he has two years left on his deal and if he has a successful year next year I'm sure he will get extended.
You don't let a coach get within his recruiting window without an extension if you want to keep him around. He is trying to recruit kids who won't be on campus until after his current contract expires.
Wicked Good Ag
I am so glad that the thread about a new potential hitting coach has at least 30% of the thread not dealing with Childress job status drama
powerbelly
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

I am so glad that the thread about a new potential hitting coach has at least 30% of the thread not dealing with Childress job status drama
RC's job status is germane to hiring a new hitting coach.
Gap
AG
What is the "hot seat" and how many coaches in the country aren't on it by year 3 of their tenure?

Is Schlossnagle on the hot seat after back to back losing conference records in 2018 and 2019 or is he allowed to rest on his laurels from previous years?

Is David Pierce on it after having losing Big 12 records in 2 of his 3 seasons at Texas?

If Childress is going to be back next year and you are an Aggie fan, support him and evaluate him after next season. The constant industry of whining is just tiresome. I guess my attitude just is so Aggie and allows for mediocrity. Totally, untrue, Childress is going to be back. Support him as our head coach until after next season.
AgEng06
AG
powerbelly said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

RC's job status is germane to hiring a new hitting coach.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.