2020 Minute Maid Classic

4,268 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jkag89
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I think they were aiming for a who's who of my least favorite team.
jkag89
What do you have against Mizzou?
swimmerbabe11
Mizzou is the only one that isn't completely offensive to me. it looks like that weekend I'll be rooting for them.
Bondag
AG
Not a fan of any of those, but that is one hell of a tourney.

I like the SEC vs. Big xii.

In '21 could we see TCU Ok State and Tech?
DVC2010
AG
I go every year regardless of who's playing. The baseball withdrawal is just too strong at that time of year. Don't they usually announce this way earlier?
W
AG
you know speaking of the Shriner's classic...the 2019 field end up flopping.

only 3 of the 6 teams made regional play. Baylor went 1-2. A&M and TCU went 2-2.

Rice, UH, and Texas State stayed home
TyHolden
AG
Hookers in the tine be on lookout...Baylor in town.
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

you know speaking of the Shriner's classic...the 2019 field end up flopping.

only 3 of the 6 teams made regional play. Baylor went 1-2. A&M and TCU went 2-2.

Rice, UH, and Texas State stayed home

And really, TCU had no business making it to a regional. If not for a favor delivered by a former employee, they would have stayed at home as well.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
TMartin
I have great respect for the Shriners and have gone to the Classic every year A&M plays. Smaller crowds last year and many of the stadium services were not up to speed. Needs improvement.
W
AG
it just seems like one of those things whose time has passed. The novelty has worn off.

it was really cool and hip when MMP opened 20 years ago and Rice's program was among the best in the nation plus the SWC reunion tour and all that
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

it just seems like one of those things whose time has passed. The novelty has worn off.

it was really cool and hip when MMP opened 20 years ago and Rice's program was among the best in the nation plus the SWC reunion tour and all that

I still think it's a good idea, but they need to expand the footprint and look beyond the SWC, SEC, Big 12, and C-USA. I think it would be a great tourney if they could have...

DAY 1
Texas A&M vs. Miami, Fla.
Texas vs. UCLA
LSU vs. Michigan

DAY 2
Texas A&M vs. UCLA
Texas vs. Michigan
LSU vs. Miami, Fla.

DAY 3
Texas A&M vs. Michigan
Texas vs. Miami, Fla.
LSU vs. UCLA

Quite frankly, having Rice, UH, Texas State, Sam Houston, and even Mizzou in the mix won't do much to move the needle for ticket sales, RPI interest, or national media (D1 Baseball) attention.

I do think neutral site tourneys in MLB parks are a neat idea, but there really aren't all that many places you could play were you won't be rolling the dice with the weather in late February or early March. Maybe Houston, Arizona, San Diego, LA (Dodgers and Angels), Miami, Tampa Bay (barf...), and maybe Atlanta. After the Rangers get their retractable roof stadium in place, you could add them to the list.

The neutral site tourneys in minor league parks are also good, but again...you're rolling the dice with the weather, even in Texas.

But you have to have big names in the college baseball world if you're going to be successful. I don't blame the Astros (or Shriners or whoever) for not going all out on concessions and such when you know Rice, Baylor, Texas State, and Houston won't draw flies, attendance-wise.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Tex100
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Mizzou is the only one that isn't completely offensive to me. it looks like that weekend I'll be rooting for them.
I sat behind their dugout at BBP this year. Didn't care much for their players.
PlanoAg98
AG
Frisco College Baseball Classic >>>> Houston Minute Maid College Classic
Gap
AG
Didn't they cancel games last year in Frisco because it was too cold to play?
jkag89
The Sunday games were cancelled due to the cold.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.