4 of 8 CWS Teams from SEC

6,430 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiedaddie
BeatHellOutOfTU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not only are 4 of 8 in the SEC, there is a potential for an SEC vs SEC final.

And on another note the Aggies took 2 of 3 from 3 of the 4 teams advancing assuming Arkansas holds on to win.
HoustonAg2106
AG
there*
Aggies2009
AG
As I said in the other topic, we beat those 3 opponents all at home. We were much better at home this year than on the road. Travelling for a regional hurt. A lot of those Tuesday games came back to hurt us, as did things like the Ole Miss games (regular season and postseason).
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

there*
gracias mi amigo... I'm an engjynear
jkag89
BeatHellOutOfTU said:

And on another note the Aggies took 2 of 3 from 3 of the 4 teams advancing assuming Arkansas holds on to win.
Well let's see if that awakens the baseball gods. Hopefully not since I loathe Bianco.
trouble
AG
It better not. I despise him.
SABUILDERAG
Half of the field is SEC. But none of them are us.
Another team in the field is from Texas. Again, not us.
The Texas team that is there has been there 4 out of the last 6 years. You guessed it. Not us.
In the last five years, five SEC teams have made the championship series. None of the five were us.
In the last ten years, Texas teams have made 16 appearances. 2 of them belong to the Aggies.

Are we still happy that we beat some of the teams that are there in meaningless regular season series'?
jkag89
SABUILDERAG said:

Are we still happy that we beat some of the teams that are there in meaningless regular season series'?
I'm thoroughly convinced the only "meaningful" games the Aggies play are the ones that are Ls.
SABUILDERAG
jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

I'm thoroughly convinced the only "meaningful" games the Aggies play are the ones that are Ls.

Meaningful games are the ones that get you to and through Omaha.
src94
AG
And 3 of those 4 are SEC west teams.
src94
thebaldone
AG
RCs problem is that we peak mid year. We regularly fizzle late in the year while other teams play their best ball in June. I don't know the specifics but could swear we've been in the top 5 and top 10 several years where we couldn't get to or out of a super regional.
jkag89
SABUILDERAG said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

As flawed as this year's team was it was able to take series for three teams that made it to Omaha. Without winning those series we would have been sitting home for the entire postseason.
BQ_90
AG
jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

As flawed as this year's team was it was able to take series for three teams that made it to Omaha. Without winning those series we would have been sitting home for the entire postseason.

Is that really any worse than not making out a regional where you go beat by a lower seed?
jkag89
BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

Is that really any worse than not making out a regional where you go beat by a lower seed?
To get to Omaha you need to make the postseason.

Edit: Was any credit given when the Ags advanced as a 3 seed in 2017? No we "Forrest Gumped" our way to Omaha.
BQ_90
AG
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

Edit: Was any credit given when the Ags advanced as a 3 seed in 2017? No we "Forrest Gumped" our way to Omaha.

So you're saying nobody gave credit for advancing in 2017? Because that isn't the case.

As a season ticket holder I've had enough fun, clearly you're very happy with the program as is

BoozingAg
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

The best way to make it to Omaha is to be a top 8 seed. That was proven yet again this season. Hoping for a cinderella run on the road in Regionals and Supers is just that, hope.
_mpaul
AG
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

I was happy we were there, but let's be honest, we weren't a CWS caliber term. Frankly, I'm a big fan of the idea of reseeding the regional champs for the super regional. If that had happened, can anyone say we would have made the CWS with a straight face?

Davidson deserved more credit for beating UNC (?) than we deserved for getting to the CWS.
_mpaul
AG
jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

I put a lot of stock in finishing in the top third of the conference, so I certainly don't consider those games meaningless. It was damn impressive to beat Vanderbilt and Arkansas this year. But if you look at the season as a whole, those are outliers and they didn't pay off in conference standings.

Because we beat Vanderbilt early, I think it unrealistically heightened expectations for the rest of the season, when we were really a pretty mediocre ball club in light of our defense and hitting.
cords12
We have CWS quality pitching, but Our hitting is not even close! At minimum, we need a change in hitting/offensive coaching!
jkag89
BoozingAg said:

jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

The best way to make it to Omaha is to be a top 8 seed. That was proven yet again this season. Hoping for a cinderella run on the road in Regionals and Supers is just that, hope.
And as we've seen, the NCAA committee does not always award the most deserving teams a Natty Seed.
jkag89
_mpaul said:

jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

I was happy we were there, but let's be honest, we weren't a CWS caliber term. Frankly, I'm a big fan of the idea of reseeding the regional champs for the super regional. If that had happened, can anyone say we would have made the CWS with a straight face?

Davidson deserved more credit for beating UNC (?) than we deserved for getting to the CWS.
And we had CWS caliber teams that were screwed by the committee but you would trust the same committee to be fair with a reseed?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Still, 5 of the Top 8 made it.
BQ_90
AG
The ol the committee hates us excuse.
jkag89
Emilio Fantastico said:

Still, 5 of the Top 8 made it.
Well they do tend to be the teams that have had the best seasons so it would be very odd that a majority would not advance most seasons.
jkag89
BQ_90 said:

I did not say the committee has any bias against us, but facts are there have been seasons in which A&M has put up a Natty Seed resume and not been given one. On the other hand, the past three seasons we've been sent to winnable regionals and only able to take advantage of it once.
BoozingAg
jkag89 said:

BoozingAg said:

jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

And as we've seen, the NCAA committee does not always award the most deserving teams a Natty Seed.

That's another conversation. If you're a National seed quality team, you're usually going to be a National seed. Texas A&M shouldn't go 17 years between getting a National seed, ever.
BoozingAg
jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

I did not say the committee has any bias against us, but facts are there have been seasons in which A&M has put up a Natty Seed resume and not been given one. On the other hand, the past three seasons we've been sent to winnable regionals and only able to take advantage of it once.

But you have to then take one away from someone else who is also deserving. Maybe we should've got it over Rice in 2011 and TCU in 2015, but they were also deserving teams. We didn't get "screwed". Besides if we were putting more National seed level teams on the field like we should be, this wouldn't even be a point
jkag89
The key word here being usually. It also helps to have a good year in a season in which there are not many strong contenders. IMO the '11 & '15 Aggie teams had stronger resumes than this year's tech squad who got a Natty Seed.
jkag89
BoozingAg said:

jkag89 said:

BQ_90 said:

But you have to then take one away from someone else who is also deserving. Maybe we should've got it over Rice in 2011 and TCU in 2015, but they were also deserving teams. We didn't get "screwed". Besides if we were putting more National seed level teams on the field like we should be, this wouldn't even be a point
Was Missouri St. more deserving than the Ags in '15. Even if you give them the nod over the Ags, A&M should not have been paired with TCU.
PhatMack19
AG
BoozingAg
At some point you have to start look inside at your own shortcomings, like being completely owned by TCU in the postseason, instead of blaming the committee, unfair scholarship advantages, etc
BoozingAg
Tbh I was pissed like everyone else at the committee in 2011 and 2015 but after 2016 and how the last two seasons have gone I've got over it
schmellba99
AG
jkag89 said:

SABUILDERAG said:

Nope. Plenty of meaningful games we win. Just cant seem to find those past regionals, generally speaking.
jkag89
BoozingAg said:

At some point you have to start look inside at your own shortcomings, like being completely owned by TCU in the postseason, instead of blaming the committee, unfair scholarship advantages, etc
Did not make either argument. I was only responding to the easiest road to Omaha was to be a Natty Seed. Well thanks for stating the obvious.
94chem
Our program has exceeded post-season expectations no more than twice in the past 31 seasons. In 2004, some heavy lifting was done for us by TSU. In 2017, Davidson helped our cause. For whatever reason, we are a program that has to have overwhelming superiority just to meet minimum expectations.

For the record, I thought we should have won the FSU Super and don't consider that over achieving at all.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.