Fair or Foul?

5,304 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wicked Good Ag
HoustonAg2106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/trenton-hartford-minor-league-baseball-bunt-no-hitter-benches-unwritten-rules-video
Aggies2009
AG
Fair. A few things:

1) Is it really a no hitter if all of the batters aren't trying to get hits? They wanted a hit, they got it.

2) The game was 3-0, not a blowout. At that point, the game is still on and Trenton needed baserunners.

3) It was combined. While still cool, it isn't like they robbed one guy of history.
94chem
Quote:

2) The game was 3-0, not a blowout. At that point, the game is still on and Trenton needed baserunners.
Most important point.

Also, bunting for a hit isn't easy. If it were easy, more people would do it.
powerbelly
AG
More than fair.

HoustonAg2106
AG
I think the main thing is that it was only a 3 run game. After the bunt you're looking at a walk and then a bomb away from tying it up.
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

I think the main thing is that it was only a 3 run game. After the bunt you're looking at a walk and then a bomb away from tying it up.
To me it really doesn't matter what the score is. A bunt for a hit is as legitimate as any other type of hit.
HoustonAg2106
AG
I think it was a game last year against Rhode Island where we were winning by 9 or 10 runs in the 9th and they tried to bunt for a hit and collided with Coleman at first base. I remember there was a big discussion on here about if it's ok to bunt in the 9th down by so many runs.

There was a lot of "you must have never played baseball" going on that day.
ColoradoMooseHerd
HoustonAg2106 said:

I think it was a game last year against Rhode Island where we were winning by 9 or 10 runs in the 9th and they tried to bunt for a hit and collided with Coleman at first base. I remember there was a big discussion on here about if it's ok to bunt in the 9th down by so many runs.

It's always ok to bunt for a hit
HoustonAg2106
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

It's always ok to bunt for a hit
I agree, but I know there are a lot of people that don't...
hillcountryag86
AG
More than any other sport, it seems, baseball has so many 'unwritten rules.' Even going by that, a 3-0 game is still winnable in late innings so I think getting a hit by any means is legit.

But, if a team follows those 'unwrittens,' and is down by say, 10, in a late inning, is it really right to not try any means available to get a hit? To me, by deciding not to bunt and essentially conceding the no-hitter, you diminish the value of the feat. Compare that to the pitcher who throws a no-hitter in a 1-0 win, where the opposing batters definitely did not give in and tried for hits until the game's final out. That accomplishment is worth more than the game which was conceded in earlier innings.
AG
The only foul part I see is how far inside the base path he was running.
pimplepopper
AG
powerbelly said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

To me it really doesn't matter what the score is. A bunt for a hit is as legitimate as any other type of hit.
This. If you don't want to have no no ruined, make the play.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
94chem
Pro ball polices itself, but college can't. Thus, if the game is out of reach in pro ball, you can drop one down if you don't mind wearing one the next day. In college, you can do stuff with impunity, so it's a DB move.
safety guy
AG
No hitters are nothing more than statistical anomalies. They don't count any greater in the standings.
powerbelly
AG
94chem said:

Pro ball polices itself, but college can't. Thus, if the game is out of reach in pro ball, you can drop one down if you don't mind wearing one the next day. In college, you can do stuff with impunity, so it's a DB move.
It is chicken **** to throw at someone for trying to get on base.
TexAg1987
Quote:

it was a combined no-hitter between four pitchers
94chem
powerbelly said:

94chem said:

Sure it is, but why don't you go ahead and try it in a big league game when you're down 10-0 against Nolan Ryan in the 9th inning? It's not a great career move.

Same reason nobody cross-checked Gretzky. Some people just have an aversion to feeding tubes.
94chem
TexAg1987 said:

Quote:

Kinda like bringing my family to help polish off the ole 96-er.
BillyBob79
AG
If I recall my rules correctly, since the runner was running inside the base path (well off the foul line), the pitcher could have hit the runner in the back. The runner would have then been called out for interference...no-hitter stays intact.
Goat Man
AG
94chem said:

powerbelly said:

94chem said:

Sure it is, but why don't you go ahead and try it in a big league game when you're down 10-0 against Nolan Ryan in the 9th inning? It's not a great career move.

Same reason nobody cross-checked Gretzky. Some people just have an aversion to feeding tubes.
lmao, I need the laugh/cry emoticon for this
biobioprof
94chem said:

powerbelly said:

94chem said:

I always thought the conventional wisdom was that the DB move was to bunt for a hit when you are up 10 runs, not when you're down by any number.
Todd 02
AG
At what point in the game does it become an unwritten rule to just roll over and play dead so the other team can pad a stat sheet?

Play ****ing baseball and let the chips fall how they may!
Serious Lee
"you may run like mays, but you hit like s**t"

no problem, just put it in play and leg it out
Frank Grimes
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Quote:

Even if it were a DB move for a true no hitter (which I don't think it was), why do they care so much about a "combined no-hitter"?
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
If anything I'd complain he was all the way in the field trying to block a throw...: but bunting is baseball
zagman
AG
A bunt hit in the first inning is the same as a bunt in the ninth inning. It's baseball! "Get Over It"!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
austagg99
It is true that bunting for hit is legitimate even late in a no-hitter but as a first baseman so is calling for a pick off and knocking the guys teeth out with the tag. All just part of the game. His jaw is a legitimate place to tag him so no big deal.
powerbelly
AG
austagg99 said:

It is true that bunting for hit is legitimate even late in a no-hitter but as a first baseman so is calling for a pick off and knocking the guys teeth out with the tag. All just part of the game. His jaw is a legitimate place to tag him so no big deal.
Intentionally hurting someone is bull*****
safety guy
AG
austagg99 said:

Bunting for a hit and physically injuring someone are equal. Yeah, ok.
CardiffGiant
AG
Eh. As most have posted. Bunting is a baseball art just as much as hitting homers. It's part of the game. If the score was 18-0 and the starter was in with 2 outs left to complete the no no then I MIGHT have a problem with this as it would look petty. They were still in the game and the starter was out. Nothing to see here. Move along.
buda91
AG
Yard Goats.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Entire argument is stupid. To have a no-hitter you must not give up any hits. A bunt is a hit, end of discussion.

Should a hitter not take a walk breaking up a perfect game?
Goose06
AG
I have no problem with the bunt. Also have no problem with chin music the next day...
Wicked Good Ag
Goose06 said:

I have no problem with the bunt. Also have no problem with chin music the next day...

For baseball fans username fits
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.