For those wanting/expecting Childress to leave, who would you hire?

39,102 Views | 361 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
Alpha Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not big on getting ahead of ourselves, but since some ags believe it's time to part ways with Rob, I'm gonna say that if you're gonna fire a head coach, you better have a real good list of potential new ones.

So, for those of you who think it's time to show Rob the door, or for those of you who expect him to leave for the Nebraska job, who are your top targets for the new head coach?

A few options (some are long shots) that come to mind for me:
Mike Bianco, I know he's been at Ole Miss forever, but maybe with his former AD running the ship, with enough money, we can lure him here.

Cliff Godwin, The East Carolina head coach who has posted a 201-107-1 record at ECU, worked his way up the ranks, coached under Mainieri at LSU and sure does know how to coach an offense from what stats say.

Pat Casey, The Oregon State coach has announced he won't be back next year, and since he won a national championship last year, I don't think poor results forced him to quit, so he probably just wants to be done coaching. Same as Bianco though, money could be the factor. Poor Blaum if this happened, from what I hear, he simply hated Ole Miss in general.

Steve Rodriguez, The Baylor coach who took over an abysmal program about 3 years ago and has them back into good standing. He inherited a Baylor baseball team that would get demolished in cross-town scrimmages by Mclennan Community College in 2015ish (granted I know that MCC team went on to get second at the juco world series and several players went on to power 5 schools and the minors.
BoozingAg
Dan Heefner

Wouldn't require a giant contract, LOVES offense, consistent winner at DBU of all places.
tjack16
AG
BoozingAg said:

Dan Heefner

Wouldn't require a giant contract, LOVES offense, consistent winner at DBU of all places.

That's who I would go with as well if we can't money-whip a top coach. Or the ECU coach
jkag89
Mike Bianco has been at Ole Miss five seasons longer than RC has been at A&M, with that extra leeway he has been to the Supers as often as RC and has one less appearance in Omaha (still in the running this season up against Arkansas).
Goose06
AG
O'Connor and Schloss would be near the top of my give them a call list. Louisville coach probably next. From there I'd consider The DBU, ECU, Baylor coaches. Maybe Saarloos gets a look if you know he has an offensive coach in mind to bring with him.
TexDill15
AG
I laugh at people that want to fire Childress but hire Bianco. LOLOLOLOL
Wicked Good Ag
Sometimes I don't get Texags if someone wants Bianco to replace Childress.

I understand the desire to replace him but wow
greg.w.h
AG
I challenge the OP to tell us exactly how many years we should employ a coach that can't consistently make it to the CWS? Be very specific so we can discuss it aloud when your standard isn't met.

Go ahead and say "One CWS trip ever sixth year is adequate with no progression to the bracket championship or the finals." Admit it aloud and be bold.
AggieBill005
AG
I understand the attitude of being able to go out and get an established HC, but why about an assistant/associate?

I assume there is a good reason why folks like Kevin McMullan or Bill Mosiello are still associate or assistant HCs? (perhaps someone who follows coaching pedigrees can weigh in?)
twk
AG
Bianco has been covered.

If Pat Casey coaches anywhere next year, it will be at Nike U (Oregon). Their envy of his success caused them to start a program by hiring George Horton. Now that imitation has failed, they may try just buying the real thing. He's not leaving the northwest.

Don't know anything about the ECU guy.

One of the knocks on Rob is his propensity to sign kids from Nebraska, so how would this board react when Rodriguez brings in a bunch of California kids, if we don't win right away?

Heefner would be interesting, but he'd need a good pitching coach.

Would Schloss be worth it without his top 2 assistants (or would we pay enough to bring at least one of them along)? Remember how Augie struggled in Austin until he got his staff sorted out. If you break the bank for the head coach, you'd better be prepared to pay for top flight assistants, too.
W
AG
and the key...for whomever is the successor...

move on after 5 seasons, if his teams are not outperforming the Childress-era. Go onto the next guy
greg.w.h
AG
twk said:

One of the knocks on Rob is his propensity to sign kids from Nebraska, so how would this board react when Rodriguez brings in a bunch of California kids, if we don't win right away?.

California is a very good state for diamond sports. Southern California especially. And if I'm forced to compare just sheer size of Texas and area v. just Southern California (specifically in the Cal State Fullerton pipeline) my main concern is Cal State schools cater to a modestly different group than we imagine A&M serving. Leaving there for here can be both academically and socially jarring.

But filling out a roster with national recruits from California shouldn't cause anyone heartburn unless we miss on all the Texas potential stars. And if it results in a trip every few years and deep, competitive stays in Omaha, I guess we will have to cry in our beers together at the inhumanity of it all...
TAMU1990
AG
I would like for us to go after Butch Thompson from Auburn.
twk
AG
greg.w.h said:

twk said:

One of the knocks on Rob is his propensity to sign kids from Nebraska, so how would this board react when Rodriguez brings in a bunch of California kids, if we don't win right away?.

California is a very good state for diamond sports. Southern California especially. And if I'm forced to compare just sheer size of Texas and area v. just Southern California (specifically in the Cal State Fullerton pipeline) my main concern is Cal State schools cater to a modestly different group than we imagine A&M serving. Leaving there for here can be both academically and socially jarring.

But filling out a roster with national recruits from California shouldn't cause anyone heartburn unless we miss on all the Texas potential stars. And if it results in a trip every few years and deep, competitive stays in Omaha, I guess we will have to cry in our beers together at the inhumanity of it all...
If we win, they can sign players from Japan. If we don't win, or don't win big enough, every Brazos County kid who has some success elsewhere becomes a damning indictment of the staff.

All I'm saying is that if we were to hire Rodriguez, and he has a roster of California kids that doesn't meet expectations (Omaha, or super regionals), that will be a talking point. No one complained about Kyle Simonds, or really, even Nolan Hoffman. But every losing game thread has some reference to Logan Foster's Nebraska roots.
Luke The Drifter
AG
BoozingAg said:

Dan Heefner

This gets my vote.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Aggie
AG
Sometimes just a change is needed

I do think A&M needs to make some decisions on staff but I don't believe Childress needs to be fired.
Weather he leaves on his own we will see.

Sometimes a program gets stagnant and a change is needed. You don't know if the guy replacing the guy leavin is going to pan out or not so the argument of " if you can't get someone better don't get anyone" doesn't make sense to me.
You don't know if they will do better.
Success at one school doesn't equate success at another
Shortcomings at one school does not mean you can't have success at another
Everything is a crapshoot
TAL06RES
AG
Just to clear one thing up... Pat Casey did not coach this year. He resigned as HC in September but had a clause in his contract that he could opt back in June 1 at his own discretion. He chose not to.

In other words, them going 2 and que in their home regional this year was not his doing.
AgRyan04
You're not looking at the right numbers....he has won 2 games in Omaha!
jmcfar_98
AG
Dan McDonnell gets my vote then Schloss at TCU.
RomanAg11
AG
Agsncws
AG
I would puke my shoes if we hired Bianco.
TAMU1990
AG
Agsncws said:

Do not want
zagman
AG
I have not seen anyone above that is better than who we have. Is that the best you can do? Put your money where your mouth is!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
austinag1997
AG
Bianco is rumored to replace Bjork as AD.
evanpd13
People said all year long how we would've been a top 3 seed if we were just an average hitting team. Series against Vandy and Arky had great pitching (like always) and AVERAGE hitting and we won the series. Our approach at the plate on most days is so bad and we swing at garbage 17 feet off the plate and watch fastballs down the middle. This is so easily fixed with even a DECENT hitting coach. Childress, while he is responsible for keeping his buddy Bolt all these years, is absolutely not the problem. Childress coaches pitching and we were the best pitching team in the entire SEC this year. I think Childress should stay and Bolt should hit the road.
RomanAg11
AG
evanpd13 said:

People said all year long how we would've been a top 3 seed if we were just an average hitting team. Series against Vandy and Arky had great pitching (like always) and AVERAGE hitting and we won the series. Our approach at the plate on most days is so bad and we swing at garbage 17 feet off the plate and watch fastballs down the middle. This is so easily fixed with even a DECENT hitting coach. Childress, while he is responsible for keeping his buddy Bolt all these years, is absolutely not the problem. Childress coaches pitching and we were the best pitching team in the entire SEC this year. I think Childress should stay and Bolt should hit the road.

Coach Childress, is that you?
aggiewilliford
BoozingAg said:

Dan Heefner

This is exactly who I want! Or the guy at Coastal Carolina.
Gig Em Ags, God Bless Old Army and Marching in Behind the Band! Whooooopppp
an antelope ate it
What does Seely do?
greg.w.h
AG
twk said:

greg.w.h said:

twk said:

If we win, they can sign players from Japan. If we don't win, or don't win big enough, every Brazos County kid who has some success elsewhere becomes a damning indictment of the staff.

All I'm saying is that if we were to hire Rodriguez, and he has a roster of California kids that doesn't meet expectations (Omaha, or super regionals), that will be a talking point. No one complained about Kyle Simonds, or really, even Nolan Hoffman. But every losing game thread has some reference to Logan Foster's Nebraska roots.
Nebraska is not a baseball state even though the CWS is hosted in Omaha. Southern California is a very rich talent pool. I have nothing either for or against Logan Foster. But I graduated from high school from Southern California and the talent pool is shockingly deep. People here comparing California and Nebraska should scan MLB rosters and compare the number from each.

Now with THAT said: it would be fascinating if Texas A&M could become a destination school for international players who want to break into MLB through education. Merely qualifying for in-state tuition is a pretty major deal and my personal experience with internationals is that a solid year talking primarily with native speakers makes a world of difference for communication. Perhaps we should recruit Japan.
Jock 07
AG
NMFJ
94chem
Don Wakamatsu
W
AG
Heefner would get an interview no doubt.

one small note...DBU previously played in a bandbox. Offense is the correct approach in a park that tiny
tjack16
AG
W said:

Heefner would get an interview no doubt.

one small note...DBU previously played in a bandbox. Offense is the correct approach in a park that tiny

I seem to remember our offense not being able to take advantage of that park the way they should have. We had "warning track power" all night
Goro Majima
AG
Agsncws said:

Childress for Bianco would be the biggest lateral move ever.
Basketball and Chain
AG
aggiewilliford said:

BoozingAg said:

Dan Heefner

This is exactly who I want! Or the guy at Coastal Carolina.
Gilmore is 60 years old. I don't see that as a good fit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.